let this be a lesson to you

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
So over the last few days Myself and my cousin did a bunch of get ready for spring time repairs. The first to be tackled was the stater clutch. I drained the oil, pulled the covers off etc. There was a little silicone around the gasket so I wondered if it had been apart before. So we get to the dreaded flywheel. We have all the grade 8 bolts, and big puller, ready for the battle. We start turning the puller bolt waiting for the bolts to bend, and then it happened. After about four turns it falls off in our hands. I've sneezed harder than the effort it took to get it off. I could turn the bolts for the starter clutch with my finger, The threads were stressed, but they didn't come out because of being peened.So we take a look at the starter clutch and the gear behind it. They are like brand new. Now, due to my sherlock holmes abilities, I figured that the original starter clutch broke loose. there were marks on the flywheel where it looked like it spun. Someone replaced the starter clutch and gear, but when they reassembled it, they bought overlength hardware bolts and cut them down, Did a poor job peening them over, and didn't use loctite.:damn angry: Obviously this person was not a member of this forum. So my cousin and I got it back together, and all is well. No more horrible noises. I decided to put the new parts in, So now I have a barely used starter clutch and the gear. I'm guessing they have maybe 3 or 4 hundred miles or so on them. Anyways, thanks to all who have posted on this forum, and the wealth of technical Information and correct prcedure.
One more thing. My cousin that helped me do the work is a Harley Guy. Not that that is a big deal in itself, but he disclosed to me today that he put a Harley sticker somewhere on the bike. I'm going to have give my max a strip search tomorrow.:rofl_200:

Hey vmaxcruzer,
I refered to your post about how your flywheel popped off, when we were talking about getting mine off.

Hey vmaxcruzer,
I refered to your post about how your flywheel popped off, when we were talking about getting mine off.

Yah, good times there. Glad you didn't have to rent a back hoe to get it to break free.
Sean M said that once you get it off it removes easier from then on out.

Latest posts

Back