Looking at my first vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spots

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Jordan, but everybody calls me spots. I'm a 24 year old Marine Corps veteran, I just go out in Jan. I've been using my old truck to get back and forth to work, and letting the wife have the car, after selling my other toys. Now I've decided to finally buy a vmax like I've always wanted. I have looked at several in the 2500-5000 range, but these are the two that have really caught my eye. I'll be slowly modding the one I get into a redlight king hotrod. I currently work in a automotive and fabrication shop, so hopefully stuff like that will come easy and soon.

This one is a newer model, decent miles, and stock. I like stock because it hasn't been monkeyed with by the wrong person.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/3218176945.html

But I love that this one is tastefully modified, and I like the look.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/3171333506.html

Also, one other question, does this sound like a list of good starter mods (if I get the stocker)?

UFO or Kerker full exhaust
Morley muscle jet kit
Drag bars
CBR tail light
COPs

That would be the beginning, eventually I hope to have a chain driven, big bore motored, supercharged and nitrous breathing street machine in the 160-180+ rwhp range.

Thanks guys

I would go with the stocker myself. My theory is that "stock" bike normally have lived a less stressed life. The other reason I like the stocker is that it has some miles on it. Good bet those miles are highway miles which put the least wear on the engine. Of course your plans to go big bore don't make that too important, but I would tend to think a stock bike with hi-way miles would also have a better lower end as well.

I like your plan for the UFO exhaust system. I tend to think slip ons are a poor investment performance wise. Of course you would want to do the jet kit at the same time.

When you do go to the big bore motor, you need to really decide if you are going to go to a turbo. I would be looking at different pistons, rods, and cams for a turbocharged bike then what I would do without turbo.

If your building a street bike, not a race bike, I might not jump on the chain drive. Of course if you really do plan to make it into a 200 hp motor, you will want to get some more rubber on the back, and then the chain drive is your best option.

But what do I know? I'm just a fat old man that doesn't even do burn outs on his bike because I'm on SS and can't afford to break anything.

I think both are too high in price, especially for this time of year, I would think 3000-3500 would be more in line for either, keep an eye on our for sale section for good deals that show up, don't be in a hurry, be patient and you will find just what your looking for at a fair price..........feel free to ask questions, you won't find a better informed/helpful group for all things V-Max anywhere on the web!.............Welcome Spots and thank you for your service!........:punk:.........Tom.

Bro, welcome to the Vmax world. Both those bikes are too high. There is/ was the bike of your dreams on Craigslist recently from Tomkins Cove in NY? I think. I have the ad saved somewhere but honestly, i would not tell anyone to get into a Vmax at that level to start. Stock ain't bad!

I agree, I only looked @ the modded bike first, too-high by a conservative 20%, or a more-liberal 25-33%. Thing is, the only real performance enhancements it has are the shocks & the exhaust. Everything else is what I refer to as, "eye-wash." Yeah, it looks good, but you can polish and refinish any bike. The exhaust & shocks used are about $5-600. I see plenty of Miami FL area bikes much-newer for about the same as the '90. And of course, many of them have fewer mi. & some acc. too. It's the end of the riding season up-North, drive a hard bargain.

OK, I looked at the '98 stocker, got a few mi, nothing to be scared-of if 2nd gear is OK, if he won't let you ride it, make him run it to redline in 1st, shift to second, & WFO in 2nd, that should show you if it has a bad 2nd gear. Be sure he doesn't shift to 3rd, skipping 2nd! I'd say something around $3500 for the stocker, name something lower & come-up to 3500 & I'd say if the gearbox is OK you got yourself a good base for a project.

Gannon isn't doing the COPs as far as I know since he lost his supplier of resistors. The UFO will cost you, new, a pretty-penny. There are used Kerkers & Mark's systems on here from time to time, but by the time it's shipped you'll probably pay ~$400. Sean's Morley Muscle is a good choice because he seems to have worked-out the bugs which often come from jetting changes, plus, he is avail for tech advice. You're young, you may like the drag bars, my old bones don't need a stretch like-that, if I do, I ride my FZR1000 (factory clip-ons). The CBR light w/incorporated turn signals can clean-up the rear view. I would recommend either Progressive Suspension springs for the front or Race-Tech, either RICOR's or Race-Tech Gold Emulators for fork valving, SS brake lines for the front at least, & a replacement pair of shocks for the rear, the Prog. Susp. 412's are a good start and don't cost $450 delivered. Unless you intend to live at the drag strip, I think the stock lengths for the front end & rear are better, unless you are 5'8" or less. You start to lose cornering clearance when you shorten the suspension.

If you buy that you will be "King of the TN Hollows!" I think it belongs to one of the guys on here.

This one? http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/3226971517.html

Lol I'm really considering giving him a call, I guess the only option I'd have on that thing is to fly up north and ride it back. One hell of a way to get used to a bike lol. It'd be a pretty good ride from NY back to TN. Thanks for the welcome, and the advice on prices. You guys are great :biglaugh:

Yeah that would be a long haul. I bought my Vmax 2 months ago out of Arkansas. Drove up with my dad first thing in the morning then turned around and drove it back to Birmingham, AL. Hell of a way to get used to your bike though!

We have another one available and just shipped one out to another new member. I want to say this other one we have is a 96.

I would go with One2dmax. You know he can build it the way you want or at least give you a reliable one.

There's one in Decatur Tn for 2700 on CL, if you want to do the work. Comes with cobras though.

Yeah Spots, thats the one I was talking about. I'm an "experienced" Vmaxer and would have no problem buying that bike if it checked out ok. The motor alone cost more than his asking price. Thing is, no dealership will help you with it, heck it is hard enough to find a Yamaha dealer that knows stock Vmax let alone a highly modded one. It also makes it hard for you to find parts, know compatability, and you would probably need a specialty bike shop work on it til you get more familiar with the bike. Going long range to ride it back might suck cause short range because of small gas tank, no windshield, stock hard seat, and I didn't even mention it is one hot hot bike remember! I wouldn't send someone I know on that oddessy but 24 year olds can do some amazing things. The point was, keep looking, better priced bikes are out there, better candidates are out there, we want you to stay entralled with the Max as long as many of us are.
FireMedic is a wise ObiOneKenobi and I like his advice although I think braided brake lines are a decent performance upgrade! Keep hitting us up with what you find and perhaps a local Vmaxer will show up close to you and help out.
PATMAX

This one? http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/3226971517.html

Lol I'm really considering giving him a call, I guess the only option I'd have on that thing is to fly up north and ride it back. One hell of a way to get used to a bike lol. It'd be a pretty good ride from NY back to TN. Thanks for the welcome, and the advice on prices. You guys are great :biglaugh:

Wonder how he got that much HP using Jardine slip-ons? I would go with the newest stock Max I could afford. Then you know exactly what has been done to the bike and can make it your own. There were continual improvements of some sort till about 2003. The last around 2002 or 2003 being changes to the oil pipes in the oil pan to stop the o-ring displacement problem. Just my :twocents: . :)

I agree talk talk to Sean (one2dmax Morleys muscle) he just sold a sweet ride to a member here who had looked at a few bikes on CL . It's worth the wait and you know youll be getting a sweet running/looking bike. My next max I will be having him build for me.

Dannymax lives in the hudson valley area he's a good guy im sure if he was close enough he would check it out for u. That's a really good price seeming how a 1500cc is around 6k I believe. That would be the bike I would be all over if I were u. save u a hell of alot of money. Less modding u have to do

Back