Machinists, Toolmakers and Fabricators

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOVMAX

Reaction score
How many Machinists, Toolmakers and Fabricators we have hangin around here? Where do you work? and if you'd rather not say... what do you make?

How many Machinists, Toolmakers and Fabricators we have hangin around here? Where do you work? and if you'd rather not say... what do you make?

I'm a former AutoCAD technician/Instructor, I used to work in engineering and teach at the University of Alaska and ARCO. $60/credit hr. per class for teaching. $20/hr for the CAD work. I've also provided design work and working drawings for various shops. Until I quit in 2000 due to lack of mobility and couldn't get more classes. I still do design work and drawings from time to time.

I still have a CAD setup complete with digitizers and a "C" sized plotter here at the house.

I'm a former AutoCAD technician/Instructor, I used to work in engineering and teach at the University of Alaska and ARCO. $60/credit hr. per class for teaching. $20/hr for the CAD work. I've also provided design work and working drawings for various shops. Until I quit in 2000. I still do design work and drawings from time to time.

I still have a CAD setup complete with digitizers and a "C" sized plotter here at the house.

You are the man! Here's what I'm thinkin... About a year and and a half ago I posted up my site. The main page asked the guestion: Is there anybody that would like to help in making a turbo kit? I asked for engineering, pipe people, casting people and machining people to come forward. I received little or no reply Jeff was very interested.

Then I revamped the site and decided I'd go it alone having done a few versions and thought I would just sell the kit myself. I had emails up the ying yang... but mostly people pickin the old brain. When I reponded with quotes to those who were truely in interested and again ...where did ya go?

So I'd like to try again, this is purely a hobby for me and profiting from the kit is not a great priority, based on the response I got... I'm not going to get rich doing it and I think selling a complete kit to someone who dosen't have a clue about turbo's would be a telephone nightmare.

I'm prepared to make it open book where I'd actually post up the drawings for the details I have. Then enlist the talent I know we have to contribute.

What do ya think?

That sounds like a great idea.

When the IDBA was still around they had thier version of "National Dragster" called "Motorcycle Performance Magazine." there was a tech writer (Burgerman ) who used to write about nitrous kits. The guy knows his shit about the giggle gas. Back around 87 it was his, stuff that got me into nitrous on my XS11.

He now has his own website where he instructs about the ins and outs and the design and implementation of nitrous kits.

Sounds like you just might be the turbo version :biglaugh:

That sounds like a great idea.

When the IDBA was still around they had thier version of "National Dragster" called "Motorcycle Performance Magazine." there was a tech writer (Burgerman ) who used to write about nitrous kits. The guy knows his shit about the giggle gas. Back around 87 it was his, stuff that got me into nitrous on my XS11.

He now has his own website where he instructs about the ins and outs and the design and implementation of nitrous kits.

Sounds like you just might be the turbo version :biglaugh:

I've seen that and actually have a couple of issues. Those good ones never seem to last. Probably cause their not funded by corporations trying to sell new bikes. I have all of the Joe Haile newspaper type back issues (there aren't that many) entitled POWERTECH QUARTERLY. Now that was an awesome publication. Couldn't wait to get the next issue! All about Turbocharging different bikes and touching on some nitrous apps.

That was prior to him writing the book version you refered to somewhere in the Turbo section of the forum.

Joe Hailes my hero :punk:

I kept all of my motorcycle performance mags, unfortunately they didn't make the last move back home. They were in a box with several other items that somehow didn't get loaded into my truck, pisses me off cause I had over 80 certificates that I have earned in that box, but I can always get copies of them cause as I earn a cert, I scan it into my computer and store it on a CD.

The turbo/supercharging/nitrous book was in it too. The thing I really miss though was the 5 part series on performance engine theory. That was, in my opinion, the most informative tech article I have ever read.

I love the Burgerman, dude is just too funny. I think it would be cool to sit with him over a pint and pick his brain. Several years ago he was hurt and loss the use of his legs. Now he's tricking wheelchairs and he's working on one that will climb stairs.

I kept all of my motorcycle performance mags, unfortunately they didn't make the last move back home. They were in a box with several other items that somehow didn't get loaded into my truck, pisses me off cause I had over 80 certificates that I have earned in that box, but I can always get copies of them cause as I earn a cert, I scan it into my computer and store it on a CD.

The turbo/supercharging/nitrous book was in it too. The thing I really miss though was the 5 part series on performance engine theory. That was, in my opinion, the most informative tech article I have ever read.

I love the Burgerman, dude is just too funny. I think it would be cool to sit with him over a pint and pick his brain. Several years ago he was hurt and loss the use of his legs. Now he's tricking wheelchairs and he's working on one that will climb stairs.

Have to go diggin though my old mags and books... have it. I can find it and scan it for ya.

I guess I want to know who your target group would be. Is your turbo going to be for drag racers, the everyday rider, the rich, people that need to make very few modifications to their stock bike to retrofit your kit, or are major modifications going to be necessary?

I think you deserve some $$ for your time and efforts. I'm not sure if I would give 'all' your drawings/prints out, but you could share some of the info with the public. This may help to drum up more interest/business, and it may also create thousands more questions... maybe you should start a "turbo forum" so you wouldn't be the only one answering questions. I don't know a whole lot about your setup, but if I had your knowledge and experience, I would step back, take a look at your turbo, and then pick out two, or three... maybe pick five of the things that gave you the most trouble, and then find suppliers for those components. That is where the $ will be. I know you said you aren't in it to get rich, and there are quite a few people on this forum that aren't here to make a living, but it is nice to make something to help pay for future projects.
Any idiot can go out and buy a carb, a turbo, a wastegate, and some gauges (I know, because I'm that guy right now!!!:biglaugh:). But it takes some serious time and experience to fabricate the intake, route the exhaust, find locations for the smaller components.

As I said before, I'm willing to help out in any way I can. It sounds like KJ might be on board as well... and he has probably forgotten more than I will ever know about turbos, nitrous, women, etc. Maybe you want to share it with a few people first and get any more ideas on how to improve the existing setup... I won't be able to help you on making it perform any better, but I might be help out on making it easier to manufacture/assemble. Sorry for the long ramblings, I just think you are on to something, and you just need to find your niche.... (I think that is how you spell that)

Jeff

I guess I want to know who your target group would be. Is your turbo going to be for drag racers, the everyday rider, the rich, people that need to make very few modifications to their stock bike to retrofit your kit, or are major modifications going to be necessary?

I think you deserve some $$ for your time and efforts. I'm not sure if I would give 'all' your drawings/prints out, but you could share some of the info with the public. This may help to drum up more interest/business, and it may also create thousands more questions... maybe you should start a "turbo forum" so you wouldn't be the only one answering questions. I don't know a whole lot about your setup, but if I had your knowledge and experience, I would step back, take a look at your turbo, and then pick out two, or three... maybe pick five of the things that gave you the most trouble, and then find suppliers for those components. That is where the $ will be. I know you said you aren't in it to get rich, and there are quite a few people on this forum that aren't here to make a living, but it is nice to make something to help pay for future projects.
Any idiot can go out and buy a carb, a turbo, a wastegate, and some gauges (I know, because I'm that guy right now!!!:biglaugh:). But it takes some serious time and experience to fabricate the intake, route the exhaust, find locations for the smaller components.

As I said before, I'm willing to help out in any way I can. It sounds like KJ might be on board as well... and he has probably forgotten more than I will ever know about turbos, nitrous, women, etc. Maybe you want to share it with a few people first and get any more ideas on how to improve the existing setup... I won't be able to help you on making it perform any better, but I might be help out on making it easier to manufacture/assemble. Sorry for the long ramblings, I just think you are on to something, and you just need to find your niche.... (I think that is how you spell that)

Jeff
Jeff,

Not real interested in starting a forum. God Bless Buster! I can only imagine the email load alone. I did PM him about starting a thread entitled Machining and Fabrication. And yes the logistics of doing the group effort would need to be shook out. I think if someone steps up to do a particular part of it then they should rewarded. By supplying that particular part to whomever is building the kit. For instance the plumbing, someone would jig up and weld headers and sell them. They may want to barter or sell to someone making detail parts. I don't exactly know how that would work out. Probably better in Russia :rofl_200: After all we are a capitalist society. Anyway any suggestions are appreciated. And by the way... hope I spelled everything right. I suck at it

we of course make a lot of stuff and Jeff is a great help too. Some of the stuff we make a rough piece and he converts it and then additional parts are machined from that design. My day job is working at Spirit Aerosystems make aircraft assemblies, complete fuselages for Boeing (primarily 737's), and complete 41 sections (the cab sections) for all the models. I started in the "precision bench" shop out there in 96. We were required to make many different assemblies for critical use areas (flight controls, door components, etc....). When I say close toloerance we were hand drilling holes to 1/2 thou +/-

I did a bit of work in the machine shop out there and have even been through some CNC courses. I wish I had some of that machinery at the shop.

I do have a friend that helps out at the shop doing all my weld work. I am trying to watch and learn but rest assured anything you get from me that is welded was done by him and not me. He is a aircraft certified welded and does that at Spirit also.

Sean

I WAS a machinist 'back in the day.' Worked at Aviation Corp. in PA, M & M Instrument Makers in Newark, DE and GE in Schenectady, NY. Ran everything from small precision milling machines to large horizontal & vertical tape operated boring mills. Tightness tolerance, + or - 3 ten thousandths.

But that was about 350 years ago, maybe a little more.

I would like to be in on this project but my old 'hammer & chisel stone work' would be of no use to this crowd :worthy:

Sounds like a fun project, good luck guys!! You certainly have the talent necessary for success assembled! :eusa_dance:

I don't think i fall under any of the above. I have modified some existing setups and i have some knowledge of a few late model sport bike fuel and ignition systems, as well as some late model EFI car fuel and igniton systems. Have even turbo'd a few and "revised" one of Mr. Turbo turbo/efi systems, as well as supercharging a few 5.0 'Stangs
About the biggest help i could be is raising more questions...:bang head: Almost 40 now and using my pea brain is getting harder and harder! If i can assist though, i'd be happy to. :ummm:

I don't think i fall under any of the above. I have modified some existing setups and i have some knowledge of a few late model sport bike fuel and ignition systems, as well as some late model EFI car fuel and igniton systems. Have even turbo'd a few and "revised" one of Mr. Turbo turbo/efi systems, as well as supercharging a few 5.0 'Stangs
About the biggest help i could be is raising more questions...:bang head: Almost 40 now and using my pea brain is getting harder and harder! If i can assist though, i'd be happy to. :ummm:

Your in pal, Just got to get the details ironed out.

we of course make a lot of stuff and Jeff is a great help too. Some of the stuff we make a rough piece and he converts it and then additional parts are machined from that design. My day job is working at Spirit Aerosystems make aircraft assemblies, complete fuselages for Boeing (primarily 737's), and complete 41 sections (the cab sections) for all the models. I started in the "precision bench" shop out there in 96. We were required to make many different assemblies for critical use areas (flight controls, door components, etc....). When I say close toloerance we were hand drilling holes to 1/2 thou +/-

I did a bit of work in the machine shop out there and have even been through some CNC courses. I wish I had some of that machinery at the shop.

I do have a friend that helps out at the shop doing all my weld work. I am trying to watch and learn but rest assured anything you get from me that is welded was done by him and not me. He is a aircraft certified welded and does that at Spirit also.

Sean

Sean,

Your friend sound's like a good candidate for doing the plumbing work and you are definately invited to the effort.

I WAS a machinist 'back in the day.' Worked at Aviation Corp. in PA, M & M Instrument Makers in Newark, DE and GE in Schenectady, NY. Ran everything from small precision milling machines to large horizontal & vertical tape operated boring mills. Tightness tolerance, + or - 3 ten thousandths.

But that was about 350 years ago, maybe a little more.

I would like to be in on this project but my old 'hammer & chisel stone work' would be of no use to this crowd :worthy:

Sounds like a fun project, good luck guys!! You certainly have the talent necessary for success assembled! :eusa_dance:

Danny, If this group effort flies... your input will be appreciated. Feel free to chime in. Your experience is very valuable

I bracket race a 90Vmax at the track quite often and also have a Nova i do heads up racing with. I have some experience with nitrous and tuning as I have it on the car. It runs mid 5's inthe 1/8th on a 10.5 tire

I'm a fabrication manager at a local company. I have access andto 3 CNC lasers that can cut any flat sheets of steel and aluminum from 10g to 1/2 material. I have drafters who can make prints and load parts into the lasers, etc..

I have made bike turbo flanges in the past along with some aluminum V Max rear brake caliber braces. (the long bar). I have one on my bike and it looks nice polished up. These parts are still loaded in the lasers as I type.

Also have press breaks to bend material, plasma cutters, mig and tig welders. I have made several parts by hand by using only a plasma cutter, welder and grinder. I have 10 fabricators who work for me that I have used as resourses. I've had an alimunim air box cut and welded up for a turbo GSXR750 here at work out of 1/8th in alimunim.

Latest posts

Back