Me and my bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89max

Reaction score
Hey guys, I asked a couple questions already and received awesome help, but I thought I would just take this time to introduce myself and my bike.
My name's Adam, and about two weeks ago I purchased my first VMax, and red 1989 with 25,000 miles and in awesome condition.

Here are some pics of it:
DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

Wow that's in good nick. Previous owner must have kept it in the bedroom.

Nice looking bike you got there. Have the wheels been swapped out for a newer bike or did yamaha already change them by that year?

As far as I know, those are the original wheels. The PO had receipts showing that the valves were adjusted and the carb's rebuilt and synced at 23,000 miles. He also wrote in the back of the owner's manual EVERYTHING he ever did to it. When he put new tires on it, when he changed the oil, when he changed the rear drive fluid, when he changed the brake fluid, you get the idea. He changed the oil every 1500 miles and changed the oil and filter every 3000. Always used YAMALUBE and a genuine Yamaha filter. He even had an extra Yamaha filter he gave me. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna keep buying Yamalube though, probably use Mobil 1 cycle oil, 20W50. That sound alright?

As far as I know, those are the original wheels. The PO had receipts showing that the valves were adjusted and the carb's rebuilt and synced at 23,000 miles. He also wrote in the back of the owner's manual EVERYTHING he ever did to it. When he put new tires on it, when he changed the oil, when he changed the rear drive fluid, when he changed the brake fluid, you get the idea. He changed the oil every 1500 miles and changed the oil and filter every 3000. Always used YAMALUBE and a genuine Yamaha filter. He even had an extra Yamaha filter he gave me. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna keep buying Yamalube though, probably use Mobil 1 cycle oil, 20W50. That sound alright?
Very nice ride there . welcome to the site . as for mobil 1 cycle oil , not to familiar with the cycle side of mobil 1 is it synthetic?
Everyone has there own opinion on which oil to use .
I prefer to use non synthetic in my bike , I have heard that synthetic oil is not good for clutches .not really sure how true this is.

Should be fine. I run 10W40 per the owners manual. But hey, it's an old manual.
Modern oils are very good. I think the main thing is to make sure they are changed at the service intervals.

Yes, it is synthetic. I've heard from a lot of people that it's good oil to use, but I've never heard of any clutch problems. I guess I'll just have to try it and see.
It is a "V-Twin" oil, but I can't really see what would be different about a twin compared to a 4 cyl. They also make a different oil, that says it's for "sport bikes and inline engines" or something like that. I can't see why it would be any different either, just sounds like marketing hype to me. They're both the same price, so I guess I'll do some more reading on the bottles.

hEY,kITTANING pA! I am in butler,right next to you.You make the 6th vmaxer close to me in the last 2 weeks!You should hook up with me- see if you can hang?LOL!

Hey guys, I asked a couple questions already and received awesome help, but I thought I would just take this time to introduce myself and my bike.
My name's Adam, and about two weeks ago I purchased my first VMax, and red 1989 with 25,000 miles and in awesome condition.

Here are some pics of it:
DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a hold of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey nice!!
We just aquired and 1989 as well. Looks pretty much the same.
Have the same rims as well. My speedo is different. No miles just Km's
Goes to 260. No pic of the speedo, I will get one.

Grant

Attachments

• Vmax cover.jpg
    Vmax cover.jpg
    80.7 KB
  • Vmax e.jpg
    Vmax e.jpg
    135 KB
  • 100_0742.JPG
    100_0742.JPG
    55.1 KB
  • 100_0736.JPG
    100_0736.JPG
    75.1 KB
  • 100_0722.JPG
    100_0722.JPG
    60.7 KB
Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty close to Butler. I was actually just there the other day (not on the bike though) cause the old lady wanted to go shopping, and Butler's nicer than Indiana.
Yeah, we'll definately have to get together some time.

Latest posts

Back