Mid run shut down - Advice?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max power

Reaction score
Ok, heres the short story:
biggrin.gif

I got the bike out yesterday for a bath and decided after a pre-season check and test ride around town, to take my kid for a ride and get some dinner. We took a nice loop out thru carroll to go to Kingys and the bike ran great right up until it died about 10 miles out. It had a full tank of fresh gas on top of a 1/4 tank that had been treated before winter. We were going about 60 after accellerating slightly up a small hill and when I let off the throttle, it just died. I tried to bump start as it was coasting, but no dice. we pulled over and I got off and checked it out as best I could on the side of the road and found nothing. I checked the obvious culprits - kill switch, kick stand switch, etc. Tried to start and it turned over fast and fine, but doesnt start. Got the truck and trailered it home and tore into it. It has no spark. I thought, "coil", but it has 4 separate coils and no spark from any of em.

I charged the battery overnight and it started and ran this afternoon. (Could that be the problem? I dunno. Cranked forever like it had a full charge and the lights were bright last night.) I shut it off to do some minor carb adjustment and it wouldn't start again!

I'm thinking it might be the battery at this point, but not sure. Could the battery cause it to shut down mid run, yet still have plenty of juice to turn the motor over many times and still have bright lights?

I'm frustrated. Help!

It sounds like you have an early model since you mention 4 coils? I'm assuming you're talking p/u coils? I would test the resistance of all four p/u coils...make sure you use black as the common. The black is the common for all four p/u coils so if that's bad it would cause a no-spark problem. Next, test your side stand relay. It's in front of the ignitor in between the front ignition coils. When that fails the bike will turn over but the ignitor is being grounded because it "thinks" the side stand is down and in gear.

Pull the left side cover off the bike. Unplug and plug the blue and black 2 wire plug.. why your at it,, Remove the left scoop and reseat all connectors by this I mean disconnect and plug back up.
Check all grounds, Check the the battery terminals are tight on the battery..

KEEP IT SIMPLE AT FIRST before you break out the meters and wiring diagram.

It is an '06 and it needs a battery. I will replace that this weekend and do the charging mod and then see what happens. I will update after.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Latest posts

Back