Mounting Engine Guards....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
So I get my engine guards back from being p/c 'ed today and am going to install them. 2 quick questions for you guys about mounting them...

(pic included off of NG's parts bike so you can see which bolts are involved).

1. SHould i brace the oil pan when i remove these bolts ( obviously one side at a time)...
2. WHen putting the bolts back in, any suggestions? Loc-tite (which colour if so), etc?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 372b_1[1].JPG
    372b_1[1].JPG
    26.5 KB
My thoughts are "when in doubt, take the safe route". Supporting the engine bottom won't hurt if your not sure.
As for the loctite, don't use red on any thing you don't want to put a torch to.
Red needs heat to break it free after it's dry. Blue is better for any application because it will do the job better than a lock washer but still only need a little more pull to break it loose.
Just make sure the fasteners and the threaded hole are clean ,dry and free of any anti seize compound,..as much metal to metal contact as possible.

And don't over tighten.Especially Allen head fasteners,..they are a pain to remove if you end up rounding the wrench off inside. Torque wrenches are fairly cheap now and You may have a place where you can rent them,..ie automotive parts places .
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
My thoughts are "when in doubt, take the safe route". Supporting the engine bottom won't hurt if your not sure.
As for the loctite, don't use red on any thing you don't want to put a torch to.
Red needs heat to break it free after it's dry. Blue is better for any application because it will do the job better than a lock washer but still only need a little more pull to break it loose.
Just make sure the fasteners and the threaded hole are clean ,dry and free of any anti seize compound,..as much metal to metal contact as possible.

And don't over tighten.Especially Allen head fasteners,..they are a pain to remove if you end up rounding the wrench off inside. Torque wrenches are fairly cheap now and You may have a place where you can rent them,..ie automotive parts places .
Hope this helps.

thanks razor... i have my handy torque wrench and it will be used.... i think i'll get some 2x4's just to be on the safe side and some blue loctite.. that should do the trick.. hopefully easy on easy off...

I went through some trouble with this while removing the crash guards and installing the forward controls.

I definitely recommend using support under the pan, and of course loc-tite 243. 242 and 243 are both blue, however 243 is oil resistant and more suitable for automotive applications.

Also, if you don't have a smallish spud wrench, this is a good excuse to get one, as a couple of taps are sometimes required for that last nth of alignment.

Have fun!

hey noxx..

thanks for the info, i did end up using blue loctite and a spud wrench would have helped but i got 'em on...

here are some pics!

Attachments

• SSPX0154.jpg
    SSPX0154.jpg
    81.4 KB
  • SSPX0155.jpg
    SSPX0155.jpg
    74.4 KB
  • SSPX0160.jpg
    SSPX0160.jpg
    87.3 KB
hey noxx..

thanks for the info, i did end up using blue loctite and a spud wrench would have helped but i got 'em on...

here are some pics!

dude you need a paint job, i almost bought one used like your's but i hated that flat black, but to each their own, it's kinda cool in a way, something different.

Awesome job,..love the flat black out scheme,..but the stripes set it off.:eusa_dance:
I'm doing the same paint , but I'm customizing the stripes to a different design.
It will prolly not be appreciated by all, but to "each his own".
That's what makes us different. :ummm:
I have seen sooo many different Maxes ie paint , body,seat , wheels. It's all good , but is any of them the way I want MY Max,..some were close ,...but still not on the spot.
The worst part is , knowing now that it will take awhile to get it there ,...

Awesome job,..love the flat black out scheme,..but the stripes set it off.:eusa_dance:
I'm doing the same paint , but I'm customizing the stripes to a different design.
It will prolly not be appreciated by all, but to "each his own".
That's what makes us different. :ummm:
I have seen sooo many different Maxes ie paint , body,seat , wheels. It's all good , but is any of them the way I want MY Max,..some were close ,...but still not on the spot.
The worst part is , knowing now that it will take awhile to get it there ,...

thanks man. i love the flat black. i had a yellow '94 before, which i liked as well, but i gotta say the flat black is way better.

i thinke the '94 yellow would look good if all the grey/silver/chrome was removed and put to black... but hey to each our own..

thanks man. i love the flat black. i had a yellow '94 before, which i liked as well, but i gotta say the flat black is way better.

i thinke the '94 yellow would look good if all the grey/silver/chrome was removed and put to black... but hey to each our own..

Good eye making them engine guards disappear in the black. Your bike looks nice & clean!

mitchell, danny, thanks for the compliments! i really like how it all turned out myself

just a couple more things to do.... as always!

Latest posts

Back