VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billg302

Reaction score
Hello all, new member here. Thanks for the add. Not new to bikes, been riding street bikes since I've had my drivers license. I currently have a 2005 Road Star Warrior (will be for sale soon). Just picked up an '01 Vmax a week ago with only 10k miles. Still looks factory new. All stock except for Cobra slip-ons (I know they're not the best performing but I think they look good on these bikes) and a Yamaha sissy bar. Going to be servicing all fluids, tune up and carb sync and tuning this weekend.

The difference in performance between a stock VMax and a Cobra 4-into-4 is impressive, I'll leave it at that. They look cool, but the sacrifice in performance and throttle response is too-much of a penalty for my riding.

The difference in performance between a stock VMax and a Cobra 4-into-4 is impressive, I'll leave it at that. They look cool, but the sacrifice in performance and throttle response is too-much of a penalty for my riding.
That's what I’ve read. I’ll get all of the services up to date and adjustments done this weekend. That way I can ride the rest of the season. I’ll end up changing exhaust over the winter, along with braided brake/clutch lines. She runs good but I’m working through some idle issues this weekend. Bike sat for a few years before I got it. She’s idling on her own now but I’m going to sync carbs and check idle air adjustment.

Assuming that you are using the VMax's performance image occasionally to scoot quickly, you are going to be surprised by the increase in acceleration and throttle response, once you ditch the Cobra 4-into-4's and get a proper system which doesn't penalize you. When you ride the VBoost to near-redline the first time, on even the OEM exhaust, you will probably question the reason that the Cobra 4-into-4 exists, other than for appearance's sake.

If you want the look of four exhausts, look at the various versions of Star Rider Performance systems. If you value your sense of hearing, you will invest in earplugs for those bad boys. I have a set (the exhaust, and earplugs!).

1723812132950.png

https://starriderperformance.com/exhaust-systems/

Assuming that you are using the VMax's performance image occasionally to scoot quickly, you are going to be surprised by the increase in acceleration and throttle response, once you ditch the Cobra 4-into-4's and get a proper system which doesn't penalize you. When you ride the VBoost to near-redline the first time, on even the OEM exhaust, you will probably question the reason that the Cobra 4-into-4 exists, other than for appearance's sake.

If you want the look of four exhausts, look at the various versions of Star Rider Performance systems. If you value your sense of hearing, you will invest in earplugs for those bad boys. I have a set (the exhaust, and earplugs!).

View attachment 95143

https://starriderperformance.com/exhaust-systems/
I just checked out their website. I'm liking the Street Pro 4-2 black ceramic coated.

Back