New Springs Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Put new progressive springs in the front fork. Came with pvc pipe that i cut to fit. My question is can I lower the front end more by cutting the pvc pipe more, is it that simple?

If I do this how much can I lower it? Can I take the pvc pipe completely out. Lowering the front end does what? Does it make it any easier to steer the heavy front end?

No, you set the preload with the spacers. Too little preload will cause a gap between the spring and thus clunking and banging since it wouldn't keep it all from slopping around in there. BUT, if you wanted to cut it down and put the cut off part under the dampening rod (between it and the small spring) that would lower it by the amount used. Thus a 1" spacer would lower 1". Don't normally go more then 2" internal (though I have done as much as 2.5").

My assembly video should go over this a little bit.

Sean

I believe that you need the spacer in there to provide some preload to the spring. You adjust the spacer length to set the proper front sag. See this info.
To properly lower the forks you need to have the lowering springs which mount on the damper rod, lowering it by the length of the lowering spring(s) used. On the Vmax the max is 2". Here is a diagram that shows how they work(Harley in this example but it's basically the same).
EDIT: Dang, Sean beat me!

If you lower the front more than the rear, the steering will be quicker, or lighter. Not as stable at high speeds (supposedly) but I haven't noticed any adverse effects. Lowered mine 2" in front and 1.5" in back.

If you lower the front more than the rear, the steering will be quicker, or lighter. Not as stable at high speeds (supposedly) but I haven't noticed any adverse effects. Lowered mine 2" in front and 1.5" in back.
I have mine lowered 2" in the front and have no issues. It handles much better than stock and I haven't noticed any stability isses on the top end. I'm going to radials so we'll see if this holds up or hopefully just makes it better!:punk:

Thank you for all those great solutions. Today I trimmed the spacer by 1/2 inch and raised the tubes in the tree by 3/4 inch. The test ride proved to be a great improvement in ease of turning and weight control. Believe me it made a world of difference.

Back