new VMax ownder in Alberta

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipelinepete

Reaction score
Hi,
I just purchased an 04 V-Max in very nice shape. I have Bike Acquisition Syndrome (BAS); the other machines currently in the stable include an 01 F4i, 77 GS 750, 73 Titan T500, and an 01 Voyager 1200. But I've wanted a Vee ever since they came out in 1985....to me, biking is primarily about performance, and from what I've read, the Vee is hard to beat that way (at least stoplight to stoplight). This particular bike has had some mods done to it, but the PO wasn't able to explain any details (he said the mods were done by the original owner). Here's what she looks like. There?s a braided line coming from the oil filler cap; I assume this is a modification to allow better crankcase breathing (?).

DSC04513.jpg

It came with a set of headers, but these look like they'd be exceptionally loud:

IMG-20121208-00090.jpg

Also, there was a box of parts, but I don?t know what this is (Dyno Jet was mentioned):

IMG-20121208-00082.jpg

It'll be several months before I can take her out...too much ice and snow right now.

I'm glad I found this forum; it looks very active, and lots of great contributors.

Peter

Nice! Where in Alberta do you live? I'm in edmonton, looks like you have a nice bike there, given the air box and vboost system has been removed I would say you have a dynojet stage 7 kit in there

The braided line from the oil fill is part of a Dynojet Stage 7 jetting kit. As you guessed, it is a crankcase breather. The plastic box with the dynojet info shown in photo 2 should be filled with some old jets removed from the carbs, old slide springs, and some new jets of different sizes.

As part of the stage 7 install, the v-boost system was removed as well as the stock air box. Those parts are shown in the second picture.

If you remove the faux tank, you should see 4 individual, K&N air filters attached to the top of the carbs.

The exhaust looks to be made by UFO http://planetvmax.com/85-07vmax/exhaust/ufo-streetpro-slashcut/ and will definitely be loud.

The braided line from the oil fill is part of a Dynojet Stage 7 jetting kit. As you guessed, it is a crankcase breather. The plastic box with the dynojet info shown in photo 2 should be filled with some old jets removed from the carbs, old slide springs, and some new jets of different sizes.

As part of the stage 7 install, the v-boost system was removed as well as the stock air box. Those parts are shown in the second picture.

If you remove the faux tank, you should see 4 individual, K&N air filters attached to the top of the carbs.

The exhaust looks to be made by UFO http://planetvmax.com/85-07vmax/exhaust/ufo-streetpro-slashcut/ and will definitely be loud.

I don't normally like to mess with OEM carb settings because once you start, it can take a while to get it running properly....maybe the PO has already worked out all the kinks. So what can I expect when I get this thing on the road? Does a Dyno Jet 7 kit need a high flow exhaust to correspond to the intake changes?

I'm a bit concerned to hear the V boost system has been removed....isn't that a fairly major mod?

Peter

The exhaust shown in the picture will work well with the jet kit you have.
Setting up the carbs is not a very difficult thing to do but, it does take some time doing trial and error runs. Unless the bike was setup for the same conditions you are in now, it may need a little adjustment. I would not worry about it. If you have some basic wrench turning abilities you can handle it.

Removing the vboost is really not a big deal either. The bike will run just fine without it, if the carbs are set up correctly. There are plenty of guys out there with vboost removed. I am one of those guys and have no complaints. You bike should be setup with "vboost eliminator" tubes. Basically just open tubes that connect the intakes together. It is like running open vboost all the time. If you would like, these tubes could be removed and the vboost system could be installed. If you do this, you would definitely need to play around with the carbs.

Stage 7 was designed as the "race" tune to give maximum top-end power, at the expense of a softer low/mid range.

With the stock carb settings, the v-boost closes at lower RPMs, otherwise the bike would run very rich and have a poor idle and no power in the low/midrange. They open past 6k RPM when the engine is pulling enough air to use the extra fuel.

With stage 7 the v-boost is eliminated(though it can be tuned to keep it functional), in essence the boost is "on" all the time. As such the jetting for the low range needs to be leaned out to keep acceptable performance.

Stage 7 requires a full exhaust system, not just slip-on mufflers, to be effective.

If the bike runs good as-is, there's no need to mess with it.

i"d save that box of parts. lotsa folks return to stock from stage 7.

Welcome and good luck with the vmax. That's cool that the po kept all the parts with the bike. You will definitely need a full exhaust system with the S7 in there. That ufo sytem is good however, it will definitely be very loud. I'm wondering if there's some slip ons that would adapt to that pipe...probably. If the Stage 7 is properly tuned then you have nothing to worry about without the vboost. I use my old one for a doorstop in the shop. You will only need to purchase a weber synctool which are very cheap and sync the carbs every 6 months (takes 10 min.)

Welcome and good luck with the vmax. That's cool that the po kept all the parts with the bike. You will definitely need a full exhaust system with the S7 in there. That ufo sytem is good however, it will definitely be very loud. I'm wondering if there's some slip ons that would adapt to that pipe...probably. If the Stage 7 is properly tuned then you have nothing to worry about without the vboost. I use my old one for a doorstop in the shop. You will only need to purchase a weber synctool which are very cheap and sync the carbs every 6 months (takes 10 min.)

Thanks for all the input guys. Being a new Vee owner I'm on a steep learning curve, so this is helpful.

We have a noise bylaw here, so the headers gotta go (another member here is interested in them). I did ask the PO to start the bike when I examined it. It took a bunch of cranking, but it did start and it idled just fine. So I'm hopeful that whatever jetting was done works OK with the OEM exhaust.

The PO kept a complete set of documentation from the bike: original bill of sale, all maintenance records, even the sales brochure. The bike is extremely clean so I figured with that attention to detail it's unlikely the thing has been thrashed or abused. I also found records of two dyno runs, so I'm guessing the PO had some fine tuning done after making the mods.

I might be interested in slipons that aren't too loud....I had Akro's on my last bike and they were awesome: great sound but not obnoxious.

I notice some guys modify the stock VMax exhaust by drilling out the end plates and making new holes in the mufflers....any opinions on that? Would that work better with the S7 kit?

I use a CarbTune for syncing, hope it works with the V....

Thanks again!!

Peter

:punk: Hey Pipeline, are you a UA member? There are several of us here on this site. Hope it's not to cold there. Later, Spurs

I might be interested in slipons that aren't too loud....I had Akro's on my last bike and they were awesome: great sound but not obnoxious.

I notice some guys modify the stock VMax exhaust by drilling out the end plates and making new holes in the mufflers....any opinions on that? Would that work better with the S7 kit?

I use a CarbTune for syncing, hope it works with the V....

Thanks again!!

Peter
Welcome Pete! It sounds like you may have a nice example of a Vmax on your hands.
As far your exhaust/ carburation is concerned you have some choices to make; either to keep the stage 7 carb mods and get a quieter aftermarket exhaust because the stock exhaust (even if drilled) will not work with stage 7 carb mods, OR keeping stock exhaust and getting your carbs put back to stock. The stock exhaust main tube size is the limiting factor for using the stage 7 carb setup as it will not flow enough exhaust.
Exhaust options include finding a used setup or purchasing new. Keep your eye on the for sale section and you may come across a good option or two. Another choice is to buy new which you have few choices but to get one quieter you may want to check out Marks Performance Pipes who makes a nice sounding system and he is running a Christmas special right now (SS pipes/ 14" cans for $749.95). The best way to contact Mark is to call him between 10:00am - 2:00pm PST at (760) 948-1346. Tell mark that what you want in terms of sound output and he should be able to accomodate you.
Carb options would be to sell you current S7 setup and buy stock. There are a few members on here that can accomodate with a fully gone through set of carbs and will have a baseline setup that you can fine tune once you get carbs and stock exhaust installed.
You have a lot of support for all the technical details from members on here, and that Carbtune syncing tool is one of our favorites.
Good luck with all your decisions and once you get it set you will be ready to enjoy our obsession the Yamaha Vmax, the legend!
Here are a few helpful links:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=52
http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=51
http://www.vmaxforum.net/faq.php?

Here in Edmonton they have the noise bylaw as well, I have been running my marks pipes with quite baffles for two seasons now and never had a problem, just keep the revs down when passing the police and you would be fine, that way you can keep your stage 7 kit.

Just as an example here is my Marks exhaust with SS pipes, 12" cans w/ 2.25" openings, no turndowns. If you get the 14" cans w/ turndown tips and whatever openings Mark recommends you would have a great sounding AND performing system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEexwfjAisU

Here are a couple pictures of mine before I installed them back in 2009:
Marks not installed 1.jpg Marks not installed 3.jpg

Here is how they looked this year: IMG_1778.jpg

Welcome aboard. I'm new myself and these people are just great. Full of knowledge and very accommodating.

Back