newbie here, just bought today..need some help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngzrxer

Reaction score
Hello all, happy to be part of the forum....I just picked up a 90' today and I have a few general questions regarding the jetting and the exhaust..

First off, the guy I bought it from insisted this had a hindle full system...To me it looks a heck of a lot like a slip on, but I guess I could be wrong.....:ummm:

DSC00864.jpg

DSC00863.jpg

The other issue it is seems to be jetted waaayyyyyyyy too rich..It has this exhaust, K&N pods, and supposedly a "stage 7" dynojet kit....I am half temped to just start over and buy a new kit, rather than dick around trying to figure out what it is and what it needs to get squared away...Opinions?

Another thing..WTF is with the braided hose that runs from the oil filler up to the carbs? Is that necassary as a breather? Sorry if I sound ignorant here, I kinda bought on impulse and would like to get this straightened out..Love the bike so far!
________
buy grinders

Last edited:
That looks like Hindle headers to me but hard since the pics are so dark.

If filter pods and oil filler breather then that's definitely a stage 7 kit. Either way I would dig into the carbs and see exactly what you have for jetting. Not sure if the breather is necessary with stage 7. It definitely doesn't hurt anything and probably helps with ring seal.

Other things you might check are length of slide springs, which clip needles are on and if your vboost is stock, unplugged to open position or totally removed.

the front pipes are not stock so it is a full aftermarket exhaust. Why do you feel it is running rich? How does the bike run? Nice looking bike.

It is for sure a hindle 4-1 and at least the hose is part of the stage seven kit. Likely it is got the rest. No sense taking it all off as it is tuneable as is. Our kit can make a bit more midrange/lowend but not really needed to get you running better.

I am sure it is rich as most tune that way.

The hindle you have is actually pretty rare these days and is the old "over/under" design. They made great power but crap ground clearance. Your's has been repaired at least once. I think it appears to be the smaller outlet version (if the outlet pipe/muffler outlet) does not measure 2.5" then it's the smaller pipe). I only have one of those old styles left.

Sean

Welcome to the Cult my friend. I don't know if anyone answered your one question about the hose. Yes it is part of the stage 7 set but what is is a a breather tube for the individual filters that you should also have as part of the stage 7. This acts as a oil return for blow by oil. One of my Maxes is a 90 and it runs strong still at 36 k miles. If you get a chance, look into a Morley Muscle seat. Your ass will thank you and you will actually be a better rider as it sits you lower into the bike. Looks clean dude. Ride the shit out of her. By the way, does it feel like it has no balls? Have you revved it past 6 k rpm. Just checking.... PatMax

Hey thanks for the help guys! It does feel like it gets "loaded up" after riding a bit...Especially on the eway, and started belching out black smoke everywhere once I got off the highway and accelerated away at a stop light....

So whats the trick to add oil to this. dump it down the hose or just take it off..Sounds like a dumb question but Ive never seen a setup like this...

Also, the fork seal is leaking a bit...Any online guides to do this? ive done motocross bikes but its been years....Just to make me feel more confident going into it :biglaugh: Thanks everybody!
________
girlfriend pictures

Last edited:
Welcome to our world:eusa_dance:.
If you go to the "how to threads" you will find a world of information and also in the VMF links.
and after that there is a whole world of knoledge floating around here,(just ask any question and you`ll see):biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
We are all like brothers here and willing to help in any way we can.
the bike looks like a real beauty.
Take care,
<<Dave>>:punk:

Remove the hose, then remove the knurled fill cap. The stage seven replaces the OEM cap with what you have there. Fork seals are relatively simple. Lots of opinions on what to use for fluid and or upgrades like progressive springs/shocks and even the Ricor stuff (which I have not tried yet).

Re-jetting is easy enough and can be done following the carb tutorials in the carb section.

Sean

That's because someone repaired the header as I previously noted. Then they probably either painted it with high temp or ceramic coated it (probably to clean it up prior to sale). I say repaired as the weld is visible on the tube coming down from the left side of the bike showing that a section was replaced (or cut open to repair the pipe).

Sean

Ahh I see what you are talking about...Damn :damn angry: I am at work now so I cant go look at it, but should I have any worries?
________
jailbroken

Last edited:
It all looks good to me M8! I wouldn't worry to much about it all.

Rejet and ride!

Chris

Looks like they did a perfectly ok job so nothing to worry about. We've done that exact same repair ourselves.

Sean

I did relook at the picture and noticed that they have added in some braided line on the lower cooling hose. May have to get us more pics of that area. Nice little mod.

Looks like progressive shocks on the rear so likely springs in the front.

Custom paint or 93 paint - can't quite tell the color.

Oil Pressure Gauge (looks like maybe bar mount)

Engine looks like it could have been replaced at some point. The covers should have gold accents (like your rotors) but instead have the black accents. See attached picture.

Stock brakes and seat (which we can fix for you).

Sean Morley

Attachments

• 90 Engine.jpg
    90 Engine.jpg
    240.7 KB
I will get some closer pictures tonight, I do appreciate it...So no blues in 90? The paint work looks pretty good..Looks like typical yamaha blue...

I am afraid I may have bought something pieced together now....No evidence I can see (other than what was pointed out) of ever being down....Engine sounds mechanically sound though, jetting issue aside...Any numbers I could look for to ID what year the engine is? Were black accents avail on any years at all, or maybe the guy had them powdercoated? Plan on adjusting valves this winter..You are correct with the progressive rear shocks...No idea on front springs, with the leak it's real mushy right now...Thanks, and pics to come when I get home tonight!:punk:
________
F50

Last edited:
90 was a "shiny black" which was very dark blue with brighter blue metal flake. The 93 is closest to that color on the bike but more purple looking (still could be that color). The engine would have had the valve covers, clutch insert, stator insert, and rectangle cylinder covers replaced. You can have the dealer check the vin on the engine (stamped into the serated pad over the middle drive gear). I would not worry about it. The covers could have been redone or swapped over. The engine still has the older filter style so 95 or older. The covers were gold like that for a number of years but I want to say they were black/silver in 85/86 and 96-up (then went to grey/silver in 2003).

Sean

Here are some clearer pics....Just took it for a ride..Def runs a bit rich...I moved the right mirror so I could see down at the exhaust when I rode, to get an idea of when it smokes most...I noticed it most when lapping the engine and downshifting....Thoughts?

DSC00866.jpg

DSC00867.jpg

DSC00868.jpg

________
weed vaporizers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back