none starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel

Reaction score
can anybody tell me why after changing batterys it wont start, i have checked the fuel pump and it works, but when i turn the ignition normaly the pump starts for about 10 seconds. now it dont.:ummm:

Fuel pump only kicks on if needed. If the bowls are fuel, you wont hear it click.

You say the battery is charged but did you check the voltage when you hit the starter button?

Are the headlight and dash lights coming on

Yes, need more info.. Good Gas? Actual voltage of the battery? How long since the bike last ran?? Anything else you can think of...

stood for two years but started last week on jump leads with old petrol still in. bought new battery exact like for like 12v 16ah. if i disconect the fuel line from the carb fuel pumps through no prob. i did disconect the ht leads from the coil, and since then it wont start or even try.put new fuel in and still nothing.

You may have crossed HT leads, very easily done. You need to get rid of old gas and put frest in, make sure plugs haven't fouled from old gas or leads swapped if thats the case.

Have you verified that you have spark on all cylinders? Common to foul plugs when starting with bad/old fuel..Also alorio is right it isnt hard at all to cross the HT leads. Since it has been sitting so long you may consider pumping out all the old fuel and draining the bowls prior to trying to start it again. Even with new plugs you could simply fowl any new plugs you put in right away.

Assuming the bike is still spinning over freely, and the battery is still fully charged, I'm going to guess all the old gunk which was separated out of the old gas has travelled downstream just far enough to now be plugging up all your idle circuits etc, and now you may want to try the shotgun proceedure to clear the carbs, and/or pull them completely off and go throught them. Again, that's assuming the battery is fully charged enough to provide ample voltage to the CDI box while cranking.

And as most people are aware of what "assuming" can get you, I'd advise putting a volt meter across the battery while cranking to see what the voltage is doing while the start button is pressed in - that way you'll know for sure. You may have to best of both problems - low voltage & gunk in the carbs.

While getting rid of old gas, open the drains on all 4 carbs and flush a little fresh gas thru system. Also check plug wires for corrosion at plug caps and coil connections, if corrosion is found snip off about 1/4 inch of wire until you see good copper showing. The wires actually screw into caps and coils. Chances are you will have to pull the carbs like jfeagins recomended......

Back