Oil burner?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
I took my bike out to freeport and back yesterday (200 mile round trip) and noticed that I burned about 1/2 a quart there but not much back...

I was beating the piss out of the bike because I was trying to fix and diagnose the miss in the upper rpms...

I just found out the vmax does not have a rev limiter and there was a few times I went near 10K rpms...

I assume that is when I burned the oil but was wondering if these motors are known to burn or not...

Coming from several boxer engined beemers I dont mind a little burn but I don't want a freddy kruger either:eusa_dance:

Pop the lid on your air box I bet you blew it up there!!

If you have a stage 7 kit with a puke tank it should drain back into the crank case

And no the VMAX will rev till she blows like a grenade, Keep them RPMS under 10K or she will spin a rod bearing trust me.. I have 2 engines in my shop along with 2 cranks
I shift mine now at 9200 on the street and 9400 at the track

And no the VMAX will rev till she blows like a grenade, Keep them RPMS under 10K or she will spin a rod bearing trust me.. I have 2 engines in my shop along with 2 cranks
I shift mine now at 9200 on the street and 9400 at the track

Between no rev limiter and no auto shut off for the sidestand the max can be one dangerous fucking bike!

no auto shut off for the sidestand the max can be one dangerous fucking bike!

:ummm::ummm:

My '86 has a sidestand switch, and will die as soon as you put it in gear withthe stand down. I thought this was standard on all years?

Sure you could fit that switch no prob on yours, and pretty likely it's just been removed by some psycho PO with a death wish.. :bang head:

:ummm::ummm:

My '86 has a sidestand switch, and will die as soon as you put it in gear withthe stand down. I thought this was standard on all years?

Sure you could fit that switch no prob on yours, and pretty likely it's just been removed by some psycho PO with a death wish.. :bang head:

Someone has gotta guide me on this...I almost went down like the titanic the other day because of it.

Between no rev limiter and no auto shut off for the sidestand the max can be one dangerous fucking bike!

Hmmmmm.. its almost second nature to put the kickstand up as soon as you jump on a motorcycle :confused2: Or you the person that puts a car in gear and wonders why it doesnt move... Ohh shit I forgot to start the engine.
I bet Auto Headlights on newer automobiles have saved you a few times hahn?

Is your sidestand switch jumpered, also the fool that couldnt troubleshoot couldnt figure out the problem after replacing his battery and unplugged the 2 pin connector behind the left side panel. Check it out there are 3 plugs behind the left side cover LOWER side cover not your scoop.
Make sure all are plugged in and not jumpered.

Hmmmmm.. its almost second nature to put the kickstand up as soon as you jump on a motorcycle :confused2: Or you the person that puts a car in gear and wonders why it doesnt move... Ohh shit I forgot to start the engine.
I bet Auto Headlights on newer automobiles have saved you a few times hahn?

Is your sidestand switch jumpered, also the fool that couldnt troubleshoot couldnt figure out the problem after replacing his battery and unplugged the 2 pin connector behind the left side panel. Check it out there are 3 plugs behind the left side cover LOWER side cover not your scoop.
Make sure all are plugged in and not jumpered.

I really don't know if I should say thank you on this one...:ummm:
I really just figured all this out the last few days. I guess thats what you get when you a buy a 23 year old bike off of ebay.

I have been riding bikes like my BMW K1200S and before that Ducati 749S.

This is the first bike I have ever bought used and I really do need to get all these minor issues resolved.

As far as not having a rev limiter I have never heard of that on ANY bike but maybe back in the mid 80's that was not around yet...well at least there was michael jackson back then...

I really don't know if I should say thank you on this one...:ummm:
I really just figured all this out the last few days. I guess thats what you get when you a buy a 23 year old bike off of ebay.

I have been riding bikes like my BMW K1200S and before that Ducati 749S.

This is the first bike I have ever bought used and I really do need to get all these minor issues resolved.

As far as not having a rev limiter I have never heard of that on ANY bike but maybe back in the mid 80's that was not around yet...well at least there was michael jackson back then...

Just busting your balls a lil man, its ok. But serious though throw leg over seat, left foot kick up stand, practice this over atleast 100 times in your garage. Or each time you get on your VMAX think of me being a smart ass. I am trying to help you troubleshoot it and bring you to most obvious issue. You should have 3 safety switches on your VMAX.
Engine Run Stop Switch.
Clutch Switch (Not needed in N)
Side Stand Safety Switch

All 3 of these things have to be made in order for the starter to engage.

PS
When sending an email be sure to push the send button when complete.

I floated the valves on my Max as I couldn't hear the damn thing trying to catch a few friends on mine. Scared the mud out of me!

Latest posts

Back