oil light???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
I was testing my buck shot handle bars last night when i noticed for the first time the oil light came on. I think i read that somewhere that it was normal but i didn't find any answers when i did a search. I checked the oil level and that looked fine.

I guess i'll put an cycle 1 oil pressure gauge on the bike and perhaps their retaining o-ring. Do you have to take the entire stock exhaust off to put that on or is just the rear section. How hard is it if you have the bike on the center stand to replace that seal?

Thanks,
Sid

were you under hard acceleration? if so it will come on sometimes. i find if you add a little more oil this will stop that. just too much g-force and oil doing to the back of the pan which causes the light to come on briefly 'til you let off.

It is strictly a level gauge and nothing to do with pressure. If it happened at idle while you were sitting there then that's a problem (not necessarily with the engine). If it happened while you were out riding then may times it's normal.

Our kit requires removal of the pan as well as the clutch so both those covers have to be removed. The pan will require removal of the exhaust (so cycle one offs will also require removal). The reason ours requires the clutch to come off is because we replace the oil pump drive gear to increase oiling capacity and pressure so a custom gear is installed on the jackshaft from the basket drive side.

I think Tom's and most other aftermarket pop stopper type kits only address the o-ring issue where we address the complete oiling system. Ours costs more though.

Sean

i know its time for an oil change when mine starts coming on more. usually about 1700-2000 miles it will come on more often.

it scared me because that is the first time i have ever seen the light come on. how much oil are you guys losing at every oil change?

i'm thinking of getting the cycle 1 o-ring because of more of a safety. I don't plan on trying to make the bike any quicker... just more reliable :)

I usually see that light every single time I accelerate really hard. It's normal - it's and oil level light and the sensor's at the front. When you go hard on the throttle, the oil gets moved toward the back of the crankcase, and the sensor think it's low. Nothing to worry about.

I lose no oil between oil changes - '86 with 47k miles. When I change my oil, I fill it up to the top mark in the window, and then the oil light hardly ever comes up, unless I'm pulling a wheelie!

Most use it as their tuning light. If it comes on when you whack the throttle, then the bike is tuned right and running strong.:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back