OK Guys I REALLY need your help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I'm sure most of you have read parts if not all of my adventure with my bike. I have decided to take the bike home and take the carbs out and send to Sean so he can look at them.

The next step I am going to do is learn to work on my bike myself and not have to rely on mechanics who don't see VMAX'S in their shops.

Has anyone see a good step by step on carb removal? one with pictures would be great, YouTube would even be better.

I have never done any major work on any of my VMAX'S because I didn't think I could, it's NOW time to learn !

I would appreciate any instructions anyone care to give me on carb removal. PLEAS just remember I am very GREEN and don't assume I know anything when explaining something to me. I know I do Photoshop work on the computer and when I teach someone something I sometimes forget to mention something that is so simple to me but to the person learning if they don't do it the whole project is off.

So if you help me please don't skip any steps no matter how simple they are.

I will never be able to repay everyone who helps me on the forum but I will make more donations to the forum to help it continue to be a great place for VAMX enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance

Ron

It's pretty easy brother. I'm pretty sure there is a great write up with pics in the carbs section of the forum. mark did the write up.

In short it goes like this....

1. Remove Faux tank

2. Remove Side Covers

3. Remove Airbox (loosen screws on the bottom attached to each carb first)

4. Disconnect Cables at junction box and fuel line from fuel filter

5. Loosen Carb boots and pull up like hell to get carbs off (this is the pain in the ass part)

I pulled mine in 15 minutes a few weeks ago...

Thanks but remember I am very green, What do I do with the gas lines? do I block them after I take them off the carbs? don't I have to drain the carbs before renoval?

See things like this I need to know..

Thanks for your reply

Ron

There is only one gas line you need to remove...read through the link I sent. It's very detailed.

Thanks, they replies are coming in so fast I didn't get the link one until just now.... will read thanks a bunch !!

Eagle-It might be a good idea for you to pick up a good manual, nearly everything you will do on your bike will be covered in a step by step pictorial.

I have a Chiltons and think it's very good. There are others also.

danny

I have the pdf version and they show pictures and stuff but don't go into much detail because it's a shop manual and is intended for mechanics not everyday joe's.

I have a clymer manual and find it to be pretty good. It was only like $25 too.

Speaking of the Clymer, I noticed it said there are TWO hoses that attach to the bottom of the airbox. My bike only had one breather hose. Two nipples on the bottom of the airbox, but only one hose.

Ron, that step-by-step removal that Mark did and Abe linked to....is simply awesome. The only thing that it doesn't mention (i ran into this problem my first time too) is that the 4 carb covers on the sides that remove to reveal the slides and springs have 1 tamper-proof Torx screw per cover. Although now that I think about it.....if you're sending your carbs out to Sean, you won't need to take those covers off. DISREGARD! lol

It's a very liberating feeling when you can successfully learn how to do something new on your bike by yourself. I felt so much better once I removed my carbs the first time on my own. Almost felt like I could accomplish ANYTHING.

Also....if you have trouble removing the carbs from the rest of the engine, try using the wooden end of a hammer to pry them up. They can be a bitch to pop loose.

Thanks for the tip, I'm taking everyones tips and adding them to a text file so I can print it out and have withme while doing it. Every little bit helps !! I'm sure I'll be fine but I never messed with my bikes because they were my babies, now my car I do all kinds of work on it so I'm sure once I get into it I'll learn a little at a time and NEVER have to deal with a dealership again..

Ron

Ron, How can you screw up your bike any worse than you just paid some dealership to do?

If you can find some guy named 'Woody', who's got tobacco juice running down his face, tattoos that start at his toenails and a totally 'give a shit' attitude towards life, then you can trust your bike with him.....he'll do it right!!

But, the pimpley faced kid at the dealership, just out of highschool, prolly getting a buck an hour over min. wage.....him you can't trust. He'll rest other bikes against yours, drop wrenches on your faux, and a bunch of other things you would never let happen if you were there!

If you do end up screwing something up, there are lots of knowledgeable folks here that will help you 'unscrew' it!! Don't worry....you'll be fine!

danny

I'm sure I will...I have no choice where I live there are no mechanics that know the VMAX, I better learn or sell it......lol I'll learn !!!

Latest posts

Back