Paint?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys use for paint on your engines? As soon as I'm done with my swingarm I'm going to be pulling my engine to swap to solid mounts and I want to detail the engine out nice, what do you guys use on the valve covers and spots where the clear is bubbling and corroding? For all the parts that I need to do I really don't have the $$ for powdercoating but I just want it to look nice when the whole bike is done, thanks in advance everyone! :clapping:

Bead blast to strip it all down. Then a good quality automotive paint like painting a car.

Sean

Bead blast to strip it all down. Then a good quality automotive paint like painting a car.

Sean

Yea I was afraid you'd say that, the whole engine isn't coming apart so I'll just have to clean it the best I can and go from there. Thanks Sean!:biglaugh:

few guys here have done solid motor mounts and hate them (myself included). before you go through all the work, just make sure its what you want.

in my opinion, i'd never do them again. i didn't notice a difference adding them when i already had frame braces. looks like you have some fabrication skills. i'd consider frame braces instead but thats just me.

few guys here have done solid motor mounts and hate them (myself included). before you go through all the work, just make sure its what you want.

in my opinion, i'd never do them again. i didn't notice a difference adding them when i already had frame braces. looks like you have some fabrication skills. i'd consider frame braces instead but thats just me.

Thanks for noticing Garret, I prefer the solid mount route because I'm not adding any more weight. I can see where frame braces would help as well but I'm mostly a drag racer and not as concerned about cornering as I am straight line performance, I really can't ride too aggressively because of my CDL so if I get busted I stand to lose everything. I sure appreciate the advice from someone who has actual experience with the solid mounts though! :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

You are going same way as me, so for you to be in the same page what im gonna do is thoroughly degrease the engine and use chemical stripper to remove the bad paint. If you use auto paint (acrylic or 2K like Sean sugested) you can paint on top of old paint if the paint is good and not cracked or flaky, to be on the safe side i'd use the stripper to remove everything and then rinse it well not to be corroding the gaskets, then degrease and isolate everything well and spray some paint on top (better to use a good 2K primer before to improve adhesion)...

Last edited:
I are going same way as me, so for you to be in the same page what im gonna do is thoroughly degrease the engine and use chemical peeler (i don't know the name in english) to remove the bad paint. If you use auto paint (acrylic or 2K like Sean sugested) you can paint on top of old paint if the paint is good and not cracked or flaky, to be on the safe side i'd use the chemical to remove everything and then rinse it well not to be corroding the gaskets, then degrease and isolate everything well and spray some paint on top (better to use a good 2K primer before to improve adhesion...

That definitely sounds like the best way to go for me, thanks for the advice wild! :)

Keep in mind that the bead blast and paint is the very last thing we do prior to shipping the COMPLETED engine. Leaving the old paint on it only leaves a crappier base and you'll see areas that the old paint isn't smooth.

Sean

I agree with you 100 % I have tried both & to me frame braces are just as good & solve all the flexing problems with out the extra vibration of solid mounts. I will never do solid mounts again unless I am building a drag bike. Just my 2 cents !

Keep in mind that the bead blast and paint is the very last thing we do prior to shipping the COMPLETED engine. Leaving the old paint on it only leaves a crappier base and you'll see areas that the old paint isn't smooth.

Sean

How do you keep the media out of the engine Sean? I was thinking about a chemical strip on the whole engine to remove everything so that way I'm sure I could keep all the crap out of the engine and do the whole thing just like you suggest

I agree with you 100 % I have tried both & to me frame braces are just as good & solve all the flexing problems with out the extra vibration of solid mounts. I will never do solid mounts again unless I am building a drag bike. Just my 2 cents !

yea. plus solid mounts are a pain in the ass to install. so much work for crap.

yea. plus solid mounts are a pain in the ass to install. so much work for crap.

Pulling the engine out of the bike anyway so not that big of a deal to me, I sure appreciate the input though! :clapping:

Back