painters experienced with matte black

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
I have decided to go with a matte / black w/ some gray racing stripes.

My question is this: Does matte black require a clear coat?
I have been researching this lately and come up with a few different answers.

Anyone w/ experience w/ matte black please chime in?
________
no2 vaporizer

Last edited:
Depends on who's paint you use. Duplicolor I believe has a "Hot Rod" flat black that uses a clear. I have a friend who uses "Ruber Seal" brand flat black bumper paint that's ready to spray out of the gallon that you don't use clear on. You'll have to decide who's paint you want to use and go with what they say.

I have had great experience w/ duplicolor products in the past. I just may go with them.

I still have a lot to figure out how exactly I am getting my stripes on too - likely a lot of waiting for other coats to cure and such.
________
Toyota C transmission

Last edited:
On the flat/satin we use there is no clear added since it shinies it up. I would expect it to do that with anyones paint they use if you clear it.

Sean

Hey there Sean - do you have any pics of the green / dodge paint job you did - on the vmax? that looks great.

And I was wondering bout that - as a clear coat would end up shining up after a while (with cleanign and stuff)
________
Ford LTD II

Last edited:
I sadly don't have pics installed but the bike is local. I wonder if anyone has pics from the Topeka dyno last year since we took it there too. I imagine we might have it with us again this year.

Sean

Back