painters help in prepping

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Hey just need a few tips on preping fender/faux tank/and instrument housing for some black paint.. the paint on mine is silver NOTHING wrong with it I just want it black. Anything I should know except scuffing surface with 800 and cleaning very well with naphtha? We have a paint booth at my work and a guy here is gonna spray it for me bc he knows how to paint well

Get good paint. You can't screw it up if it doesn't run,but is thick enough. You can always buff to a pro like shine. Not saying it's quick though or easy. The pro painters spend less time fixing mistakes. Ben from NY had great sucecess with Eastwood two part spray can paint. Pro quality results, but like I said, lot's of work.
I'm going to give the nastiest looking piece of my ride a shot. The pumpkin.Unless I get a venture, take it all apart then powder coat it. I painted my swingarm 2 years ago. You'd never know it.
rofl_200.gif
Not the best place for paint to last. I looked ok or a short while.
Steve-o

Yea im going from silver to black we have good epoxy paint here at work as I work on aircraft.. I prefer urethane but epoxy will do

Should turn out nice. Just make sure the surface is clean and lightly sanded so the paint will stick well. Good Luck...

I had my bike painted with 2 part paint a few years ago with a spray gun by a marina painter. Imron paint. I think they use it on aircraft too? It is very nice, hard and hasn't chipped. I've scratched it with my zipper though and spent lots of time buffing to get it nice again. I want the red back like the 89's used to have, but a different shade.
Steve-o

Get good paint. You can't screw it up if it doesn't run,but is thick enough. You can always buff to a pro like shine. Not saying it's quick though or easy. The pro painters spend less time fixing mistakes. Ben from NY had great sucecess with Eastwood two part spray can paint. Pro quality results, but like I said, lot's of work.
I'm going to give the nastiest looking piece of my ride a shot. The pumpkin.Unless I get a venture, take it all apart then powder coat it. I painted my swingarm 2 years ago. You'd never know it.
rofl_200.gif
Not the best place for paint to last. I looked ok or a short while.
Steve-o

Next winter I am deffently looking at stripping my bike down and getting some stuff powder coated.

Any kind of addititve needed when paiting the plastic fenders?

There is an additive that I guess u should use on primer and clear coat... I think that's more for dirt bikes and suck.. these fenders a pritty sturdy I don't think it will cause a problem.. I read urethane doesn't need any additive it is flexible itself

Back