Question about the radiator valve

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
A forum user asked me a question about the rad valve that I'm not sure about, hopefully someone here can help him.

thanks mate, is the drain valve a threaded bolt sort ov thing? or is it just a push in thing? also....u no that small grub screw at the side!! I think ya have to undo its a bit so ya can turn the plug....is this true :ummm:? if so....im knackerd cause i tryed to loosn it off but it snaped ffs. :bang head:......can i force the plug round? thanks for ya help once again!!

Sounds like this guy
COOLANT%20DRAIN%20VALVE.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/wforest/spanishflyermyvmax/huge/COOLANT DRAIN VALVE.JPG

The screw holds the valve in place, rotate the valve to the ON position when draining coolant.
The coolant does not pour from here, the valve only allows you to drain the bottom of the rad!

Attachments

• DSCN1921.jpg
    DSCN1921.jpg
    43.6 KB
Yep, use a pair of locking pliers to pull it out after removing the set screw.

Mark

oh.....the set screw (u mean the small one on the side?) i tried to loosen it and the head snaped :bang head: would the drain valve still turn wiv not much force? should i force it? cheers guys

oh.....the set screw (u mean the small one on the side?) i tried to loosen it and the head snaped :bang head: would the drain valve still turn wiv not much force? should i force it? cheers guys

If the set screw snapped (rusted?) the rest of the pipe/valve assembly is probably in bad shape.

Mine was seized when I first got the bike and the valve had a slight coolant leak.

I decided to let it idle in the drive to get it hot and see whether any other parts of the cooling system had a leak.

They did.

The fan hadn't even cut in when the welds on this pipe assembly blew out and spayed coolant all over the garage.

When I took it off and cleaned it out it the piping was very badly rusted out internally even though the outside was in pretty good shape.

If this is an indication of the genberal health of the coolant system it is best to replace the pipe section and O-rings. It's not an expensive part.

Flush the cooling system while you are at it and check all your hoses and seals for bulges and leakage of any kind.

You don't want a cooked engine because of a coolant leak.

Last edited:
Back