R1 Blue Spot on rear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Question for anyone running one of these calipers on the rear wheel. Do you have a lot of brake pedal travel?

With the OEM caliper, I had very little pedal travel and the pedal was pretty firm. I switched over to the R1 caliper and it seems like the pedal is much softer and has a lot of travel.

Not sure if I still have bleeding to do or if the R1 caliper displaces more fluid than the OEM caliper and causes a different pedal feel.

I bled the shit outta this thing. Used the phoenix injector, bled at the banjos, and did a good bit of the ol pump n dump just to be sure

Still has a bit more travel and seems easier to push.. kinda like when you install a 14mm clutch master. I would think the caliper swap may be causing that due do them having larger piston surface area?

I would like to make it to thunder. Bike hasnt started in almost 2 years and still have a lot to do to make it go.

Yes, the increased piston surface area and volume, requires more lever travel to move the same amount. Effort will be reduced since there is more pad surface contact.

Sean

The Max and R1 have the same diameter M/C at 12.7mm so as Sean says, the difference in feel is due to the smaller diameter of the pistons - 42.85 v. 38.2.

On that basis then what you are feeling is probably normal.

You could try loading the the brake pedal (i.e. hold the brake on) overnight. This can sometimes encourage any air left in the system to self bleed.
Also works on the front and clutch as well. :rofl_200:

I also have that feeling of more lever travel
even with a front rotor (300mm)

i`ve bleeded three times and still the same:ummm:

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    110.4 KB
The Max and R1 have the same diameter M/C at 12.7mm so as Sean says, the difference in feel is due to the smaller diameter of the pistons - 42.85 v. 38.2.

On that basis then what you are feeling is probably normal.

You could try loading the the brake pedal (i.e. hold the brake on) overnight. This can sometimes encourage any air left in the system to self bleed.
Also works on the front and clutch as well. :rofl_200:

If the system is tight , where does the air go ? :ummm:

A reasonable question.
Assuming you are referring to the holding the leaver down I referred to, my best guess is that any remaining air will travel upward and sit just below the piston.
When the leveris released the piston will create some suction as it withdraws down the bore and the air will vent up through the reservoir.

I may, of course, be completely wrong and it is the brake fairies that sort it (sorry, that sounds sarcastic and I'm not meaning to be) but all I know is that it works. :clapping:

I also have an R1 caliper mounted directly on the swingarm.
Not sure why but I didn't feel any improvement over the stock one.
I'm wondering if a busted master can be the reason of it.
I was also thinking that the reservoir and the line could be improved.

What about this kind of reservoir: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170842530467 ?

A reasonable question.
Assuming you are referring to the holding the leaver down I referred to, my best guess is that any remaining air will travel upward and sit just below the piston.
When the leveris released the piston will create some suction as it withdraws down the bore and the air will vent up through the reservoir.

I may, of course, be completely wrong and it is the brake fairies that sort it (sorry, that sounds sarcastic and I'm not meaning to be) but all I know is that it works. :clapping:

Used this same process on front brake on Venture. After holding it back all night with a zip tie. I have cracked upper banjo to get air out that settles at high point.

It does work !!

Gary

i just finally installed my rear R1 setup last nite, brake pedal feels good but we got rain rain rain right now so i wont know how "good" it feels till the weekend.
got a poker run for a cancer patient on saturday to ride for.

heres a couple pics, not cleaned up yet though

gotta turn it around on the table this evening and pull the front wheel and install the two wave rotors for the front.

Attachments

• DSCF0656.jpg
    DSCF0656.jpg
    78.4 KB
  • DSCF0657.jpg
    DSCF0657.jpg
    69.3 KB
Back