R1 brake conversion to 86 forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
I need some help on this.I already talked to Sean and he does not sell this adaptor.Chad,a vmaxer that just moved to my town has an 86 max with stock brakes.He already has a set of R1 calipers and rotors.The calipers have the blue inserts.I did some searchs and have found no answers yet.

Shawn,
I'm in the process of this conversion myself.
Here is what i found out so far...

Quality parts online does not have any adaptors made for sale.
He told me he was in the process of moving and won't be making any more for atleast 6 months.

I contacted a guy named keith from customvmaxservices from the u.k.
He makes them and i ordered a set from him that shopuld be here soon (i hope). He is the only other person i could find that makes the adaptors for the R1 conversion.

So now i just talked to mike from white buffalo and ordered galfer wave rotors. He told me i have to use floating rotors with the R1 calipers instead of fixed rotors which are over $100 more per rotor. :damn angry:

So Chad would have to order the larger rotors (298mm)with this R1 conversion.

I need some help on this.I already talked to Sean and he does not sell this adapter.Chad,a vmaxer that just moved to my town has an 86 max with stock brakes.He already has a set of R1 calipers and rotors.The calipers have the blue inserts.I did some searches and have found no answers yet.

Just make your own adapter. I made my own to mount 6 pot Tokicos to my VMax.

That is what I told him to do.He has another 86 max to test fit the adaptors to.$160 plus shipping is pretty steep.

Bill,He already has the r1 rotors too.

I'm looking to upgrade my 92's front brakes to R1 "blue spot" calipers, FJR m/c's (brake and clutch), SS lines and maybe galfer wave rotors.
I know I need to get adaptors (Sean) to mount the R1 calipers (Ebay), and will order the FJR m/c's from Mondak (Gary McCoy).
My questions are:
1) Are the bolt patterns/ spacing/ OD of the rotor the same for '85 - '92 as the '93 - '07?
2) Could I use the same caliper adaptor's if I get the Galfer's at a later date?
3) Can I get "floating" rotors for my '92?
4) Are Galfer SS lines made for the Vmax? IE: no need to twist the lines to get the banjo fittings to align properly?
5) Where is the best place to get Galfer products, is it still White Buffalo Racing?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

I'm looking to upgrade my 92's front brakes to R1 "blue spot" calipers, FJR m/c's (brake and clutch), SS lines and maybe galfer wave rotors.
I know I need to get adaptors (Sean) to mount the R1 calipers (Ebay), and will order the FJR m/c's from Mondak (Gary McCoy).
My questions are:
1) Are the bolt patterns/ spacing/ OD of the rotor the same for '85 - '92 as the '93 - '07?
2) Could I use the same caliper adaptor's if I get the Galfer's at a later date?
3) Can I get "floating" rotors for my '92?
4) Are Galfer SS lines made for the Vmax? IE: no need to twist the lines to get the banjo fittings to align properly?
5) Where is the best place to get Galfer products, is it still White Buffalo Racing?

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes (but you may need deep pockets).
4) Yes. Will align properly.
5) Up to you. Shop around.

PM me if you want details.

Newer floating rotors are 298mm and the early models are 282mm in diameter. Floating rotors are out there, and you can sometimes get them at a pretty good price too.
Jeff

I'm looking to upgrade my 92's front brakes to R1 "blue spot" calipers, FJR m/c's (brake and clutch), SS lines and maybe galfer wave rotors. !
FWIW: I would REALLY encourage you to put in the FJR master first, then see if the rest is even necessary.
I have all the parts (- the adapter) for a 'blue dot" conversion myself. Some day I may put it on since I have it, but it is probably more productive to put in a set of sintered pads in the and call it a day.

Anyway, you can source the master from any of these for sure:

• Yamaha FZS600/FZ6, FZS1000/fz1, FZ1s, FJR1300/R1, XJR1300 for sure. not sure about the 700 models.
They pop up on eBay all the time. I just picked up a couple spares for <$34 shipped.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Newer floating rotors are 298mm and the early models are 282mm in diameter. Floating rotors are out there, and you can sometimes get them at a pretty good price too.
Jeff
>Sean (or anybody that may know), will your adaptors work with the newer galfer floating rotors(298mm)? May go with some R1 drilled rotors if they are really cheap. I would have to use pre '04 rotors, correct?

FWIW: I would REALLY encourage you to put in the FJR master first, then see if the rest is even necessary.
I have all the parts (- the adapter) for a 'blue dot" conversion myself. Some day I may put it on since I have it, but it is probably more productive to put in a set of sintered pads in the end and call it a day.

Anyway, you can source the master from any of these for sure:

• Yamaha FZS600/FZ6, FZS1000/fz1, FZ1s, FJR1300/R1, XJR1300 for sure. not sure about the 700 models.
They pop up on eBay all the time. I just picked up a couple spares for <$34 shipped.
> Wow, need to check ebay first then, new m/c's run about $150 ea (before discount)! If I run across a set that cheap I will be getting wave rotors for sure! Do only the '03 FJR M/C's have mirror mounts?
I added HH sintered pads and it made a tremendous difference, you won't be sorry if you go that route. Part of the reason I want the wave rotors is for looks. My current braking is ok but would like a little more and get the way cool looks of wave rotors.
If I can pick up the M/C's and rotors cheap enough that would allow me push some $$$'s into replacing my stock shocks.
Again, thanks for the info I will be sure to put it to good use! :biglaugh: I am planning on getting picturers as I do the mods this winter and I will post as I progress.:punk:

Thanks for the responses guys!

> Wow, need to check ebay first then, new m/c's run about $150 ea (before discount)! If I run across a set that cheap I will be getting wave rotors for sure! Do only the '03 FJR M/C's have mirror mounts?
I added HH sintered pads and it made a tremendous difference, you won't be sorry if you go that route. Part of the reason I want the wave rotors is for looks. My current braking is ok but would like a little more and get the way cool looks of wave rotors.:punk:

Mirror mount is rare. I have honestly not seen one on fleebay with the bung drilled. The first one I got was supposed to have the mount set, it did not. drilling and tapping is pretty simple. I used a $39 Harbor Freight drill press and a quick clamp. took me about 45min for the whole thing. It is tapped for a LEFT mirror though since I don't have any reverse taps. works fine.

I will probably get the pads, everyone says they are great. The MC upgrade is an amazing difference. I can now do with two fingers what used to take both hands, feet and a boat anchor. As I have a good bit of lost grip strength in both hands from nerve damage, this is a good thing.
And looks is probably why I will finish the project myself :assimilation:
also sent you a PM

I have had great service from these guys and have bought a lot of stuff over the years. Pricing is also VERY good. Better than most actually.

Mike is a racer and knows his stuff too!

Chris

Part of the reason I want the wave rotors is for looks. My current braking is ok but would like a little more and get the way cool looks of wave rotors.

Lemme know how you get on with pricing front wave rotors. I don't really have much of an issue with breaking power on my front (original 1-pot '86 brakes) but my rotors are getting thin and I also like the trick look of the waves..

Maybe with a group buy they could get even cheaper?

I don't have adapters for the R1 calipers since they are much more complicated. I do have adapters for 6 pot calipers from huyabusa's. The last bike we did them with we used just the calipers and adapters. Braking is incredible with the stock master. The fjr would allow an 8 year old to stoppie the bike.

You can use any rotor for the newer vmax or R1. Galpher - stock - it doesn't matter.

Sean

Latest posts

Back