Radial front tire options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys who have radials are using for a front tire??

what is availble out there?

I have a 190/50/17 micky thompson to mount up in the rear. this tire is 1.15 in shorter than stock. by my calculations in order to maintain the geometry and weight balace of the bike, the ideal tire size to use with the 190 would be 120/70. this would lower front also by1.18 in. dfference of .03 in. close enough for me !

I have a 190/50/17 micky thompson to mount up in the rear. this tire is 1.15 in shorter than stock. by my calculations in order to maintain the geometry and weight balace of the bike, the ideal tire size to use with the 190 would be 120/70. this would lower front also by1.18 in. dfference of .03 in. close enough for me !

I run the michelin pilot road radial in the front.

please post iformation on

what size tires front and rear???
what brand?
model / designation number or name

hey maxrider... whats with the breather filter on your differential ???

hey maxrider... whats with the breather filter on your differential ???

It is a Mr. Gasket breather. Don't think it does a whole bunch, but does look good. Quite easy to install, just use pliers to break the spot weld on the stock cover, remove tube from diff, drill a small hole in the top of the breather tube, , use a clamp to attach filter, and reinsert tube into diff.

For reference my rear tire is a Metzler ME880 180/55VR18.

What size is your front rim? 18" or 17"

My opinion on tires is to buy a tire that is meant for heavy bikes. A lot of people instaling 17" wheels use the standard 17" tire. These are meant for a 400lb crotch rocket not a 600lb vmax.

These people generally complain about their front tires wearing oddly, like cupping or the tire flattens in the middle. Although this is also a problem on the stock wheel with the apropriate tire.

I know a guy who has 17's and runs shinkos, it is a soft tire like many others in the 17's. His rear tire has a huge flat spot down the middle and his tire is squared, making it a shitty handling tire.

This guy befor ran the Michein power sports HPX, he had good luck with them, they wore well, no cupping and rear did not suare off. This HPX tire iis for the busa, 1100 blackbird and old zx11. It was built for high power heavy bikes.

This is what I am running. I have only put on about 500 miles. So I havent noticed any negative wear. 120/70/17 and 180/50/17

I have read a lot on the FJR forums about what tires they use because they are a heavy bike with 17" wheels. When they want a sticky tire like a Pirelli Diablo for example, they buy tires that are speced for say a BMW.

If you look at the different manufactureres they have different speced tires, one for busa or bmw 1200 or fjr, because they are built differently for the added weight.

In my opinion based on talking to the tire makers and reading the FJR forum results, a vmaxer should be buyin the tires made for heavier bikes.

And it depends on how much life you want out of a tire. If you dont mind changing them every 2000 miles you could go with a sticky tire.

Also some say you should use the same model front and rear so you have the same compound tire, same grip, same warm up times and temps. Is it that scientific? probably not, unless your a pro racer.

I noticed someone posted they use the roadtec z6. I ran one of them it worked well, wore well, it is made for heavier bikes.

Latest posts

Back