Rear rotor warped??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaboom

Reaction score
OK....

I have put about 1000 miles on my Vmax.....

I always use both front and rear brakes...

All of a sudden my rear brake feels like the rotor is horribly warped....

To the point that it is unusable below about 10 miles per hour for fear the rear wheel will lock up....

It pulses really bad at low speeds.....at higher speeds it feels fine....

Help please:confused2:

Thanks

Last edited:
OK....

To the point that it is unusable below about 10 miles per hour for fewar the rear wheel will lock up....

Thanks

I have the same problem. Feedback welcome.

OK....

To the point that it is unusable below about 10 miles per hour for fear the rear wheel will lock up....

Thanks

Does it pulse when running or only when the brake is pressed?

i assume u have checked the condition of the pads ?? i would start by changing the brake fluid.

unless i missed something.. replace it?

Replacement has to be done of course.

I know excessive heat causes rotors to warp. I'm on my third rear rotor now (all solids) and I don't use it that much.

I was wondering whether this is common with the V-max.

Maybe I need to replace the whole assembly for something else with better heat dissipation characteristics?
Is there a semi-floating rotor that swaps out the solid stock unit :ummm:

Dunno. I would probably get the rear tire off the ground, remove the brake pad inspection cover from the rear caliper, and get the wheel moving pretty good and see if I can tell if it is warped by looking at the braked pads/rotor. Also check to see theres is warpage of the rear wheel or anything else while you're at it.

If I couldn't see anything at that point, I'd take the rotor off and throw it on my glass plate and check for any signs of warpage.

It I couldn't see anything at that point, I wouldn't replace the rotor yet.

I'd get some sandpaper or coarse scotchbrite and scuff the rotor surface. I'd do the same with the pads as well to eliminate the possibility of a glazed surface.

If that doesn't take care of it I would be buying a new rear rotor and pads.

MY FRONT ROTORS HAVE PULSED SINCE MY "06" HAD 1,000 MILES ON IT ! I USE MY FRONT & REAR BRAKE EQUALLY AT THE SAME TIME ( MOST OF THE TIME ) BUT THE FIRST REAL MILES I PUT ON THIS YEAR WAS GOING UP NORTH TO THE BROWNIE RUN AND THEY DIDN'T PULSE AT ALL !...:confused2::ummm:

gotcha gleno. i used the EBC pro-lite rotor from bikebandit on my old max for a few hundred miles before i sold it and loved it. are u using solid drilled rotors?

I warped a rear rotor twice - once on my 96 and once on my 06 - now changed it to an R1 front rotor using Jedi-s rear brake adaptor - only a couple hundred miles so far.

I like the look of it better than the stock one and it seems to perform better.

Mike

Attachments

• rearbrake.jpg
    rearbrake.jpg
    73.5 KB
MY FRONT ROTORS HAVE PULSED SINCE MY "06" HAD 1,000 MILES ON IT ! I USE MY FRONT & REAR BRAKE EQUALLY AT THE SAME TIME ( MOST OF THE TIME ) BUT THE FIRST REAL MILES I PUT ON THIS YEAR WAS GOING UP NORTH TO THE BROWNIE RUN AND THEY DIDN'T PULSE AT ALL !...:confused2::ummm:

Have you tried cleaning the buttons that hold the rotor to the center hub? Some brake clean and a little graphite after the cleaning can free them up so they can move. A lot of times this fixes the issue.

I bought my rear Galfer rotor for 115 bucks a couple years ago. It saves 1lb off the rear and it stops stupid well... AMAZING the difference.

Sorry I did not get back sooner.....

It does not pulse at speed.....brake applied or not...

It only pulses at low speeds with brake applied....

I put a bunch of miles on it today and did not notice it....:confused2:

I will do an in depth inspection at a later date.....

Like when it rains all day again and I can 't ride it....

Right now I look too much like this guy:biglaugh:to park it for too long:rofl_200:

Thanks for the help:clapping:

gotcha gleno. i used the EBC pro-lite rotor from bikebandit on my old max for a few hundred miles before i sold it and loved it. are u using solid drilled rotors?

I used two stock solids and and a Galfer (wavey) solid. It seams that others have had problems with warped solids so I'll give the Pro-lites a go and see what happens.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
for $13 more thru bikebandit (altho maybe not the same price for u) u can get galfer drilled wavys.

about $165 US and maybe $7 to ship 'em. if thats a wicked deal for u or something i have no problems ordering 'em and shipping 'em down to you

Thank you for offering to help with the rear rotor purchase. I'm using a Galfer wave drilled solid now. Was brilliant until it warped.

I'll have think about this some more. I may end up junking the stock caliper as well and do a custom setup.

Hell it's only the rear brake so maybe I'll try those Taiwanese rotors for the R1 that they advertise on ebay:ummm:.

If it warps, who cares.

Hell it's only the rear brake so maybe I'll try those Taiwanese rotors for the R1 that they advertise on ebay
uhm00000.gif

If it warps, who cares.

Nothing wrong with them, except it pisses people off who spent 5 x the amount for a "name" brand that do exactly the same thing.
I just purchased some more for my 88 project bike as I like them so much. Previously myself and another guy got 3 pairs so we could split them between us 2 front 1 x rear each and ran the adaptors. They have performed really well without any complaints.

Attachments

• IMG_0152 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0152 (Large).jpg
    133.9 KB
Nothing wrong with them, except it pisses people off who spent 5 x the amount for a "name" brand that do exactly the same thing.
I just purchased some more for my 88 project bike as I like them so much. Previously myself and another guy got 3 pairs so we could split them between us 2 front 1 x rear each and ran the adaptors. They have performed really well without any complaints.
I run the wavy rotors too. I have over 2000 miles on them so far with no complaints, I'm using Jedi's adapters to use the larger rotors with the stock calipers.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    126.1 KB

Latest posts

Back