Remove exhaust, old or new gasket?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennsVmax

Reaction score
My Kerker 4/1 pipe is looking dingy. Thinking about removing it, prep and paint with engine paint (500 degrees).

When I put it back on should I use the old gasket or get a new one?

If I have to take the old gasket off is there any special way of doing that to make it easy or does it just come right off?

Thanks!

you talking about the gaskets that go on the header ports?

you *should* be fine with the existing ones, but it doesn't hurt to put new ones on. esp if they've been on a while...

if it was me, i'd just spend the $20 and do new ones.

You better get BBQ paint. The headers will see close to 1000 degrees in normal use. If you do burnouts like me it will get much hotter then that (glowing hot in fact - see the vids).

Sean

the VHT paint seems to work well. look for stuff that says it has ceramic in it. i used some on my dirtbike and when i was tuning the headers were glowing red hot and the paint still didn't chip off. better than i can say about ceramic coating my vmax headers

Pretty much any hardware store. I got some hi temp rustoleum from home depot earlier this year. Haven't put a lot of miles on but the parts of the exhaust I painted still look good.

Ace hardware. Prolly Home Depot or Lowes.

If you're gonna keep it , look into jet hot coating it through Sean Morley.

However , he'll treat you right and you will not have to worry with it anymore.

i used the silver VHT ceramic paint.
After sandblasting the header. then I polished the mid pipe. and canister.
what gaskets? lol
i use high temp (red) silicone on all connections. even where the header bolts to the heads.
i bolt it up and wait 24 hrs for the silicone to dry.No leaks. and no visible silicone.

and if you get grease or dirt on the new paint. It will come off with a rag and some wd-40.
any residue will burn off .

So I can use the exhaust to grill on?

LOL, on my snowmachine I had a hotdogger attached to the muffler. Cooked hot dogs up real nice.

A friend of mine welded up a larger version with a drain plug that he would use to roast a chicken while we were out riding.

Attachments

• hotdogger.jpg
    hotdogger.jpg
    44.2 KB

Latest posts

Back