Remove Flyweel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RempageR1

Reaction score
Hi,

I have bought a Vmax `85 which has issues with the starter.
I want to remove the flywheel but as the Haynes is not in yet, i need to know:
- Which way does this bolt turn to get it out? Clockwise or Anticlockwise?
- What`s the Torque for putting it back on?
Vmax2.JPG

Thank you!

Thanks, that helped! At least I could see how you are supposed to undo that bolt.

There is however no mentioning on which way the bolt moves. Anyone got the answer to that?

Get a proper puller for it too, as it is a real biatch to pull off.

A few tips..

Be sure to insert non lint rags into the engine casings. This prevents gasket materail and other forgien objects entering there way into places they dont belong.

I use a razor blade to remove old gasket material.

That bolt is the least of your worries to remove.

The pulley is pressed on and it wont be an easy task to POP!! loose the first time.

Be sure to use the PROPER pulley remover and dont try to go cheap with this job.

WEAR SAFTEY protection cause when it pops its going to )))))POP((( snap and possibly fly off!!

If you have trouble lifting atleast 100lbs this isnt the job for you to do.

After you remove the center bolt screw it back on and leave a couple mm gap so it won't fly off and pop you in the nuts

After you remove the center bolt screw it back on and leave a couple mm gap so it won't fly off and pop you in the nuts

I think there is a story here we haven't heard.... :hmmm:

Thanks for al the great advice.
The bolt has been removed, so next is the flywheel. Will inform at some local dealers if they have a proper pulley to remove it.

It's not pressed on but sure as hell gets stuck like it is!

Sean

It's not pressed on but sure as hell gets stuck like it is!

Sean

Well if its not then I must have had 4 fucked up cranks and flywheels cause everyone of them been a bitch to break loose off the crank and going on they never went up all the way until I started torquing down on em..

Are you saying that the flywheel should just be able to put onto the crankshaft and wont move in any further after you begin to torque down on it??

I would think this would be pressed on due to the speed it spins and if the bolt ever broke loose or came loose the flywheel could so some damage spinning at 10K rpms

it's an interferace fit like the early small block chevy cranks had. It relies on friction to keep the crank located as well as the tiny keyway. It may pull up a bit when you tighten it down but it's still not a "pressed on" flywheel.

Sean

My flyweel was very hard to remove.
No way to remove this with YAMAHA turnbuckle tool:
http://www.v-max-f-maerz.de/vmaxkatalog/1100/1291a_en.html

No fu..... way.

I must use that kind of turnbuckle:
sciagacz3.jpg

It was hard too, only way was to tighten the screw and wack very hard the turnbuckle bolt with hammer.
Its no damage method but must be cerefuly couse its possilbe to destroy
the magnets on the flyweel.
Also must insert something beteween the bolt and the crank journal
couse it can bo also destroyed.

Real hell its to remove flyweels from big industry engines where the flyweel
could be 50kg weight or more and then must use nitrogen to cool the journal or even acetylen burner to heat the flyweel.
And on the end hydraulic press with 200t external pressure.
I saw this once and taht schock'd me a little.

I'm trying to remove the flywheel as well and can't find the correct puller to use, I've been to two yamie shops and they both don't have pullers as they have never had to pull one off a vmax as there's not many around this neck of the woods.
I'm still having charging problems, and the magnets on the flywheel are the last to check.
I brought a NEW RR and the tests on both the new and the old are the same so it really has to be the magnets that are at fault, now i have three RR's.

I see you are in NZ. Want to to borrow my "Jedi" made FW puller?
It will get it off with very little effort. I'll give instructions on how to use it if you do.
Steve

:confused2:pCW has a puller and they claim the flywheel will come off on the first try. Thinking about picking one up $140 cause thinking about lightening mine. Question, are there any differences between 85 thru 07 flywheels or are they the same??? I have an 03 Max and trying to win an 98 flywheel on ebay to send for lightening.:clapping:

:confused2:pCW has a puller and they claim the flywheel will come off on the first try. Thinking about picking one up $140 cause thinking about lightening mine. Question, are there any differences between 85 thru 07 flywheels or are they the same??? I have an 03 Max and trying to win an 98 flywheel on ebay to send for lightening.:clapping:

I have atleast 2 fly wheels. If you have no luck with ebay let me know we can work out a deal.

I see you are in NZ. Want to to borrow my "Jedi" made FW puller?
It will get it off with very little effort. I'll give instructions on how to use it if you do.
Steve

Do you have any pics of the JEDI FW Puller?

Latest posts

Back