Removing lower black from air scoops?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99 MAX

Reaction score
My 99 has the half polished alum, half black air scoops from the factory, what's a good home fix to remove the black paint from the lower half with out scuffing or marring up the aluminum? I like the full polished aluminum look. Thanks.

Gee, aircraft finish remover should be fine with a very fine scotch brite pad. If going full polish, it should not hurt the upper and I assume you will polish the whole thing again. If you cleared over the existing polish, paint remover is taking that off too !

A friend of mine has a bead blaster so I used that to remove mine but some paint remover and scotch pad should do the trick as well.
I like the plain brushed aluminum look over shiny chrome look but without clear coat, you will have to regularly polish it to keep it from staining/darkening.

A friend of mine has a bead blaster so I used that to remove mine but some paint remover and scotch pad should do the trick as well.
I like the plain brushed aluminum look over shiny chrome look but without clear coat, you will have to regularly polish it to keep it from staining/darkening.
+1 you will have to polish and polish and polish some more to keep those scoops looking good. I'd spend few more $$$ and get the scoops chrome dipped. No issues keeping it nice and shiny.

Mine were really bad,I soaked in 5gal bucket of carb cleaner from maps and they are perfect.remove any plastic or rubber first.

Don't use "Easy-Off!"
hm_promo_prime.jpg

bad for the metal!

after you polish the crap out of your scoops clean with a wax remover then apply a coat of shark skin protects the shine for 6mos to a year.i got it at eastwood Did mine 6mos ago still looks like just polished them

Latest posts

Back