Repairing a scoop

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulibiker

Reaction score
Is there anyway to repair this? Not real excited about spending $300 for a new one.

vmaxscoop.jpg

If its that brushed finish?
You can sand and make it go away but might be tough to match the finish.

Its worth a shot tho, got nothing to lose.

If It doesn't work out then you can go with full polish (high maintenance) or chrome/powder coat.

The brushed finish has a grain to it which runs up and down, keep your sandpaper strokes in that direction. Problem is once you sand off the clear that part will be prone to oxidation....re-clearing the entire scoop would prevent that and blend the finishes together. Spray Max 3000 would do a nice job.

The brushed finish has a grain to it which runs up and down, keep your sandpaper strokes in that direction. Problem is once you sand off the clear that part will be prone to oxidation....re-clearing the entire scoop would prevent that and blend the finishes together. Spray Max 3000 would do a nice job.

What is this Spray Max 3000??

What is this Spray Max 3000??

It's Spray Max 2k....sorry (I added a grand)! It's a clear coat system in a can that gives some very professional results.....why, even a no-talent mic such as myself was able to obtain fair results with this stuff.

Garrett & his bro put me onto the stuff and talked me thru the process. While my polishing skills still need some polishing the overall job came out well.

http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-epoxy-primer-aerosol.html

ryan also had some great luck with spraymax 2k.

its hard as shit too.

It's Spray Max 2k....sorry (I added a grand)! It's a clear coat system in a can that gives some very professional results.....why, even a no-talent mic such as myself was able to obtain fair results with this stuff.

Garrett & his bro put me onto the stuff and talked me thru the process. While my polishing skills still need some polishing the overall job came out well.

http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-epoxy-primer-aerosol.html

It goes over the original clear without problems?

It goes over the original clear without problems?

Some blobs of slag from Rockatansky's sub-standard welds fly off the ramp and scratch your clear there '85? :biglaugh:

I've only used it over new paint but don't see any reason why not. Prep the surface properly, it should work nicely.

Garrett?....what do you think? :confused2:

Some blobs of slag from Rockatansky's sub-standard welds fly off the ramp and scratch your clear there '85? :biglaugh:

I've only used it over new paint but don't see any reason why not. Prep the surface properly, it should work nicely.

Garrett?....what do you think? :confused2:

Hmm I dunno, ill ask ben. How deep are the scrapes I wonder.

These are awesome, I had a smaller one for doing my brass before reloading. It also worked nicely for small brackets and fasteners.

You may try to find a shop with one of those machines. Works damn flawlesly but aint cheap.
There's a one shop in PL near my living place and they charge around 100$ for one rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWASVyGbYk

These are awesome, I had a smaller one for doing my brass before reloading. It also worked nicely for small brackets and fasteners.

I was considering doing the tumbler myself but after reading few forums I realized
this is not that simple. You must find correct power, frequency, water flow and many other criterias to archive the desired effect. Many poeple says this is not just
a tumbler. As for the gravel - everything is easly avaible around the world.
You can dig the youtube and fine some diy projects with varying results.

Brass which is already smoth - doing things like in the movie I posted requires a little more
practice. For the beggining you have 10 sizes of gravel and 10 types of fluids.
Im not saying its a black magic but aint easy at all.

I use one of these for reloading brass, don't see any reason why it wouldn't do small parts really well.

That is the same one I had. I just used the different media for it. Walnut, corn cob, and silicon (same stuff in my blasting cabinet). Sometimes a little of the liquid additive. It worked great on the brass, bolts and other small stuff, that wasn't in too bad of shape. But not so well on heavily rusted or coated material, a lot of it didn't even make a dent as far as cleaning it up. For that, it went in the blasting cabinet.

That is the same one I had. I just used the different media for it. Walnut, corn cob, and silicon (same stuff in my blasting cabinet). Sometimes a little of the liquid additive. It worked great on the brass, bolts and other small stuff, that wasn't in too bad of shape. But not so well on heavily rusted or coated material, a lot of it didn't even make a dent as far as cleaning it up. For that, it went in the blasting cabinet.

For some reason it never occured to me to try anything other than brass in it....:confused2:

Now that the 'supplies' cabinet is weighing in heavy and I don't use the tumbler hardly at all maybe I'll give other small stuff a try....probly won't expect any big results tho.

Yeah Prez, the machine you posted about operates on a different level of complexity altogether! Very cool tho!

Back