Rotella 5w-40 synth to Rotella 15w-40 dino..Shinkos+Crosswind

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyg-5386

Reaction score
I recently changed from Rotella 5w-40 synth (blue jug) back to Rotella 15w-40 dino (white jug). My mechanic who I trust told me the 5w-40 is "TOO THIN". I was getting a few spray drops of oil on my lower left pant leg when riding and it always seemed as though the left case covers and valve covers weeped a bit using the 5w-40. I just came back from a ride after changing the oil to the 15w-40 and having wiped down the bike prior to the ride and there is no oil on my lower pant leg. I gotta be honest though...I liked the 5w-40 synth better. The bike seems to start easier and warms up quicker, and is ready to ride with no choke a lot quicker. Am I going to hurt the bike in anyway flip-flopping back and forth between dino and synth? The bike shifts fine using both types of oils and the motor noise is the same. On another note, I had my new shinkos installed yesterday. My mechanic thought the tires looked good but did not like the amount of weights needed to balance them. There are 12- 1/4 oz adhesive type weights on the rear and 6- 1/4 oz on the front. I put 32lbs in the front and 36lbs in the rear. So far they feel decent, no wobbles or shimmies at any speeds. Is it normal for these tires to be a bitch to balance? If I want to ditch the unsightly weights can I just put in the equivalent weights worth of dynabeads and I'll be good to go? One more thing....blah...blah...blah...Why is my vmax the scariest bike I've ever ridden in a crosswind? I went over a windy bridge the other day and it just felt like I was gonna be tossed from the bike. I've ridden over the same bridge in the same wind on my xs1100 and it seemed a lot less scary.

I'm running the 15w-40 in both of mine. But it's hotter than Hell here in Florida... Thin oil just doesn't make it for me. Why Flip Flop oil, unless you've got a big temperature swing? Then, I understand.

That does seem like an awful lot of weights. Maybe they've cheapened the Manufacturing process.. Personally, I've decided on Metzler's, both ends. I've read a lot about problems lately with Shinko's.. Atleast yours run true...

God, I love those old XS-11 / XJ-11's. That brought back good memories....

With a proper suspension set up, the Max will handle a whole lot better. Just the forks being done with springs, emulators and being lowered 1" does wonders for handling...

Good Luck,

Cant comment regarding the oil, I run Amsoil 10-40 High Zinc myself. Regarding the Shinko's, mine balanced out and ride very smooth with the recommended amount of Dyna Beads installed. As for the crosswind, the Vmax is a fairly top heavy bike in stock form, even more so if you loose heavy stuff(stock exhaust) down low and go with lighter components.
Regards,
R

That is not really a lot of weight. I have balanced a crap load of wheels & have saw that amount many times.

Good to know Cap, I've got a shit load of weight on my rear tire too. 170 Shinko. Bike does run smooth at speed though. Thanks.Hoping my next tires will be radials.
15-40 Rotella T here. Like it. Shifts great, motor resonably quiet. Gets changed alot,which is more important to me than brand loyalty.
Steve-o

With a proper suspension set up, the Max will handle a whole lot better. Just the forks being done with springs, emulators and being lowered 1" does wonders for handling...

+1 for that

Shinkos' are known to need a lot of weight to balance, but it's not really a bad thing. Probably because they're a cheap tire, QC isn't really as stringent.

I've heard a lot of "bogus" reports on the dynabeads. Proceed with caution.

No comment on the oil. See "the oil thread" for 1000x as much as you'll ever want to read about that topic. Use whatever you'd like. If one oil seems better than another, go for it. Ask 10 people what oil they prefer and you'll get 10 different responses.

To be completely honest 99 percent of you could take the weights off your back wheel & not notice a bit of diffrence. I have not balanced my rear wheel in a long time & I ride my bikes pretty hard & they run fine on top end with no vibration or wobbles.

I haven't balanced a rear tire since '91 or so. Front, yes, not the back. No issues like the good cap'n.
I like to blame the wind stuff on the solid back wheel. (I doubt that's it, but it gives me something to blame it on)

I use Rotella 15W-40 (not synth) with X-1R added.
If you want to try some truly awesome tires, try
Avon Venom AM42 (R)
Avon Roadrider AM26 (F)
They were recommended to me by a VMaxer who teaches an advanced riding course (Total Control) and they are GREAT!
V rated too.
pdxvmax5257

I use Rotella 15W-40 (not synth) with X-1R added.
If you want to try some truly awesome tires, try
Avon Venom AM42 (R)
Avon Roadrider AM26 (F)
They were recommended to me by a VMaxer who teaches an advanced riding course (Total Control) and they are GREAT!
V rated too.
pdxvmax5257

These tires are made by cooper. Anyone have any experience with them. :confused2:http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/venom

Latest posts

Back