Seized-Stripped Idle Mixture Screws!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurcoLoco

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The bike was idling like crap so I wanted to tune-up/clean the carbs.
The holes for idle mixture screws were open so the caps must have been removed by the shop that the original owner had Stage 1 Jet Kit installed.
I bought plastic plugs and covered them up but I guess it was too late since 2 of the screws were seized. Despite my best efforts, both stripped. I was able to get the other 2 out but it took a lot of work and power!

What is the best way to remove these 2 seized screws? Am I screwed?

Here is the strange thing, both screws I was able to remove were all the way at the bottom, aren't they normally 2 to 2.5 turns out? The original owner said a shop installed the Stage 1 Jet Kit, could that have something to do with it?
I much rather replace all 4 screws once I get those 2 seized ones out, install stock ones or the same ones that came with Stage 1 kit?

Bike initially runs but only with almost choke half way open, then it seems to be idling kind of high even with choke closed.

This is a 2006 model if it makes any difference.

I appreciate any and all help.

A shame to ruin something that new! Maybe that's why it was for sale? "My new Stage 1 jet kit makes my bike run like kaka!"

Be careful on too-much force. I once cracked a carb body trying to get a float bowl screw out. Now I use a Dremel &/or straight-jaw Vice-Grips.

PB Blaster, maybe a bit of heat, but heat might be a bad idea as you could warp the carb body easily from too-much.

A shame to ruin something that new! Maybe that's why it was for sale? "My new Stage 1 jet kit makes my bike run like kaka!"

Be careful on too-much force. I once cracked a carb body trying to get a float bowl screw out. Now I use a Dremel &/or straight-jaw Vice-Grips.

PB Blaster, maybe a bit of heat, but heat might be a bad idea as you could warp the carb body easily from too-much.
I bought it a few years back and it was running just fine but the last few weeks it started to run crappy with idling issues (wouldn't even start without choke being open at least half way even on a warm day, etc.).
Oddly enough, I've used CarbTune Pro just a few months ago and it was running very nice but something happened recently. either bad gas or some other junk got in there.

Anyhow, both screws are completely stripped already so I can't even use a screw driver and no pliers could possibly go into that opening so no PB Blaster would help at this point.

Do I have to take it to a machine shop and get them removed or assuming bore threads or even the carb body was damaged and start saving for a replacement?

On a side note, I agree, Stage 1 Jet Kit was a mistake for this bike. I doubt it helped with performance. All it did was make it waste more gas!

You could try the "shotgun" method, sometimes it will clear passage ways out. I have had good success when I get crap in my carbs.

Those screws are brass, so should be easy to drill, then use an easy out. I havent been able to find the right size tap for the threads, though.

If you drill them you make my job harder when you give up and are ready to buy a new carb. The tap (I can sell you one) is a 6mm x .5 pitch if I remember correctly.

Sean

Thank you all very much for your input.

Getting those screws out is still my main goal as the carbs themselves should be in good shape otherwise but I am not going to drill them out myself. I don't have the tools, the place or the skills to do a precise job.

None of this would have happened if I wasn't unemployed for a long while and forced to let the bike sit for extended period albeit with Stabil in the tank.:confused2:

If you drill them you make my job harder when you give up and are ready to buy a new carb. The tap (I can sell you one) is a 6mm x .5 pitch if I remember correctly.

Sean

Hi Sean,
I think I already sent you a message earlier on today as Doug from lvlhead.com stated you could help. What would you suggest I do next as the least expensive step?

Thank you in advance.

Matt

Send them to me. I sent you info just a little bit ago.

You could try the "shotgun" method, sometimes it will clear passage ways out. I have had good success when I get crap in my carbs.

Joe...gotta remove the A/F screws to do the shotgun, but you're right, it works very well.:punk:

Turco, unless you have some experience with this, rather than take a chance on ruining one, or both, carbs maybe you can trade them on some stripped carb bodies with someone.

Going way out on a limb here....would the two with stripped A/F screws be the right side carbs....#3 & #4?

Yea, I knew that , but I thought some of the carb cleaner might get thru.....just grabbing at straws here Danny.

Joe...gotta remove the A/F screws to do the shotgun, but you're right, it works very well.:punk:

Turco, unless you have some experience with this, rather than take a chance on ruining one, or both, carbs maybe you can trade them on some stripped carb bodies with someone.

Going way out on a limb here....would the two with stripped A/F screws be the right side carbs....#3 & #4?

The seized/stripped side is the right side (opposite side of choke lever).
To clarify, I did use PB Blaster and let is soak for at least 15-20 minutes before attempting again and ultimately stripping them. I didn't even force it that much which shocked me the most.

I believe at this point Sean's suggestion makes the most sense, however I am moving in couple of weeks so I will have to put this on hold until after I moved.
If I took anything apart before the move, I am guaranteed to lose things!

I don't know what sucks more, being broke or not being able to ride when the weather is nice? :bang head:

I thank you all!

Back