Sheepskin seat cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
Anyone on this forum use one on a regular basis? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
I was just given a brand new sheepskin mattress cover, compliments I believe because of the "regifting" craze. My wife is handy with a sewing machine, so I'm sure that she could easily carve up a custom cover for the bike seat. Or a car seat, for that matter.
If responses are favorable, and I do have a cover made up, I will have to dye it black. I'm not sure I could live with the white, virgin(?) wool look.
Cheers!
p.s., one small concern - the cover is tagged "Proudly made in Australia"
I'd hate to think I'd be cutting up and sitting my fat ass on one of Bazwell's old girlfriends! :ummm:

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
rofl_200.gif
. Sorry Baz, couldn't help myself. My Bro has one and likes it, on his Beamer. Not something I'd want. The seat cover I mean! (yea a sheap might be nice, what's her name?)
Steve-o

I got one for my '86 - it did come in black and was certified Baz-ex-safe - and I did like it a lot.

It's REALLY good for long distance, makes any seat good for a few more hours. Even in the Florida summer heat, it helped. Having that hair between yer ass and the seat actually means there's also a little air there and keeps everything happier.

The only downer as far as I was concerned was the looks - I did take it off whenever not riding or going far. Mine came with an elastic ribbon that I just left living under the seat (was a Muscle Corbin) and plastic clip type fasteners that made for easy on and off.

I'd recommend it to anyone spending some time in the saddle.

I used one on my Rune last summer for the Yosemite Nat'l Park trip. 3865 miles round trip. It seemed to help a lot, but, IMHO, a bit unsightly, and so, I remove it for around town usage. I don't do enough miles in one sitting on my Max to warrant using one on it.
...just my 2 cents...

I have one that I can switch between the Max and the Magna, and I always use it for longer rides. More comfortable, with just a little extra "cush", cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Only downside is, never leave it out if there's a sprinkle in the forecast. If it gets wet, the water soaks down in, and you might not notice it before straddling the seat. Ever sit on a wet sponge?

What about those gel or memory foam based cushion?
Or having gel inserted in the seat directly?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

The gel things are good, but you gotta make sure they're well buried in the seat, as if they're too near the surface they get boiling hot in the sun. So you leave your bike go for lunch then when you come back you can't sit on it unless you want your balls cooked..

Used them for years for trips and for the Texas summer heat. Just be sure it is real sheepskin, not synthetic and don't get wet if possible as MtnMax said. I have a half-cover that takes up little room that I carry to keep the seat dry when parked.

Also ditto on the gel seat. gets WAY too hot in the sun. Put the sheepskin over the gel seat and everything is great though. :clapping:

The weirdest seat cover I ever seen in my life was on a 1956 Zundapp that I have. When I got it the seat cover was Orange hair domestic tabby cat. Everyone that saw the bike was kinda creeped out by it. I still have the bike in a box now doing a very long term resto job on it. The seat cover however is long gone.
orange-tabby-cat-1.jpg

We actually sell sheepskin wool seats. They look really cool but you have to keep them out of the weather and depending on the dye color keep them clean too. I have sold maybe 20 over the years and people that like them LIKE them others not so much.

Kind of like the VMAX either you do or you dont.

This is a link to one that I have and what it looks like put together with leather trim.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280760106509?item=280760106509&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&vxp=mtr

What I was thinking was a sheepskin with the gel inside of it like they offer at ProPad.

Was thinking of using in conjunction with Maxgasser seat on trips. Lower seats than factory makes my knees crimped even more and makes my legs hurt. So I was thinking raising myself about 1 to 1.5 inches with the sheepskin gelpad and getting a better more comfy seat on trips.

Love those comments, suggestions guys. Most everyone has more experience with the vmax than me. First ride on one was Jan 2012.

Back