Shimmer me timbers...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
Anybody know where the best place to get valve shims is? Are these something that is best to get from the dealer? I am doing my first valve job soon and wanted to get the inside scoop on this.

Thanks,
Abe

Call around to different dealers to see if they will let you swap for a refundable deposit. Try your local Toyota dealers too as some of their models use 25 mm valve shims too.

Or, Ebay is an option:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...m14QQhashZitem350103254780QQitemZ350103254780

I would avoid buying straight up from a dealer as they are $11 a piece.

Thanks...when I buy the kits is there a certain one i should get for my bikes 1st valve job. It's a 85 with 30K and I noticed there are diff't sizes in the 25mm kit.

Nah, this is a good kit. This will at least allow you to swap shims back and forth. A lot of times what doesn't work for one valve you can use on a different valve. Here is what I currently have for shims after my 55,000 mile check.

230 (2)
235 (1)
240 (4)
245 (3)
250 (1)
258 (1)
265 (1)
270 (1)
275 (2)

As you can see, quite a variance.

I have hmm about 16 shims and I am sure Sean has a handful also. Let us know what you dont have and need after your calculation..

You can use my kit and tool as long as you ship it all back! I have more then enough shims (in the hundreds) to do the job. I can even send some feeler gauges. Need to email me though. I do have one I need to do first if you can wait a week or so.

Sean
[email protected]

On another site I was part of, they had a sticky entitled "valve shim library," where if you had spare shims, you basically posted what you had, and then people could trade.

I've got plenty of shims I won't be using I am sure but it's always handy to have a kit there to swap back and forth. I don't mind loaning my kit out as long as it makes it back. There is a few thousand dollars in the kit worth of shims. Probably cost $20 to send it out and $20 to send it back. Plus I can loan the tool at the same time.

Sean

Latest posts

Back