side scoops corroded

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyder13

Reaction score
What has anybody done with the aluminum side scoops when corrosion sets in on them? Paint, podwer coat, black anadize? any suggestions/

My bike came with them painted black and the Yamaha logo filled in and I must say I like them a lot like that. Check my bike out in the garage / gallery.

I just picked up a basket case with fresh chrome scoops. I had always wanted a set as they were always my favorite. (I did see a set in Gold in Dayton Ohio) I stripped a set with the clearcoat going bad and they are a b-tch to keep polished and it was imposible for me to polish the letters. I know there is a clearcoat for polished aluminum from the Eastwood company. I have a set of powdercoated now and they are super easy to keep clean and stay nice.

We do offer chroming! Many on here have a set from me. I did also do an exchange on another set with a fresh paint job if you are interested. I would do a good price on them for you if interested.

Sean

We do offer chroming! Many on here have a set from me. I did also do an exchange on another set with a fresh paint job if you are interested. I would do a good price on them for you if interested.

Sean

This right here is your best option for getting new scoops. I just got mine from Sean last week and they are awesome! Great deals worth every penny!

I had mine chromed by Chrome Masters located here in Nashville, TN. The qaulity is superb and look just as great as they did when I picked them up 7 yrs ago. Chrome will look great the key is how long it sticks and doesnt start to peel or turn yellow.
Chrome Masters does all the chrome work for Orange County Choppers and you know how tough Pauly Sr is to satisfy.
Dont be in a rush they usually have a 6-10 wk back log. I been to the facility its huge and they are always loaded down with work.

They have a special price list just for VMAX's

http://www.chromemasters.com/

I;ve had both side by side and chose my current company to do my work becuase I liked the deeper luster that their chrome had. Chromemasters does do good work but of course I like mine better - LoL!

Plus, they don't keep vmax stuff on hand. I have one pair on hand and ready to exchange right now!

Sean

Thanks for all the suggestions I think I will paint for now. Have a painter that owes me a favor. Will see if he can come up with a design to match the top cover.

Ok I figured out how I'm going to fix them. Have a guy (painter) owes me a favor. he is going to chemical strip them and the have a guy that does powder coating to do them. They will be gloss black and I will hand paint the yamaha lettering in a red to match the top cover. All cost to me 20 bucks.

I;ve had both side by side and chose my current company to do my work becuase I liked the deeper luster that their chrome had. Chromemasters does do good work but of course I like mine better - LoL!

Plus, they don't keep vmax stuff on hand. I have one pair on hand and ready to exchange right now!

Sean

Hi Sean, I am a new member and have a 1990 Vmax that I would like to have chrome scoops on. What kinda prices do you offer? Thanks Ken

Hi Sean, I am a new member and have a 1990 Vmax that I would like to have chrome scoops on. What kinda prices do you offer? Thanks Ken

you will probably have the best of luck emailing sean. he's very prompt via email

My scoops were two tone, clear coat upper and matte black lower. I had my scoops stripped and polished with descending grades of fine sand paper (wet). I like the factory look so I had the scoops done with matte black lower and clear over everything. The "YAMAHA" letter were hard to polish, so I got black "Rust-Oleum Scratch Repair to off set the "YAMAHA" letters. The scratch repair worked great, comes in pen to get each letter, and the final result I think looks much better than before. left scoop.jpg

right scoop.jpg

Matt black primer, if you're into that sort of thing. Especially designed for the crappy English climate!! :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back