solid motor mounts won't go in?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I've got my engine out because I'm replacing the transmission and am doing solid motor mounts at the same time....there's no better time to do it than when the engine is OUT of the bike! And, by the way, it was a bitch to get out.

The solid mounts will only go halfway into the holes in the engine for them. Should I just use a rubber mallet and pound them the rest of the way in? It ALMOST seems like they are too big by just a hair. I'm afraid I'm breaking something.

I was going to take a pictorial of the engine removal....and realized at the end of the night that I forgot to do that.....so I'll try to do it as I'm replacing everything and maybe that will work. I did snap 2 pics once I realized that I had forgotten. For me, this is something that is WAY out of my league. I'm surprised that it worked and I didn't break anything!!!!

Attachments

• S7302253.jpg
    S7302253.jpg
    68.7 KB
  • S7302255.jpg
    S7302255.jpg
    73.5 KB
I've got my engine out because I'm replacing the transmission and am doing solid motor mounts at the same time....there's no better time to do it than when the engine is OUT of the bike! And, by the way, it was a bitch to get out.

The solid mounts will only go halfway into the holes in the engine for them. Should I just use a rubber mallet and pound them the rest of the way in? It ALMOST seems like they are too big by just a hair. I'm afraid I'm breaking something.

I was going to take a pictorial of the engine removal....and realized at the end of the night that I forgot to do that.....so I'll try to do it as I'm replacing everything and maybe that will work. I did snap 2 pics once I realized that I had forgotten. For me, this is something that is WAY out of my league. I'm surprised that it worked and I didn't break anything!!!!
If your solid mounts are maded from aluminium then dont do that couse propably you will destroy the engine mounts holes.

If they're made from polyamide/derlin then go ahead and wack it by any hammer that you have and 100% guerannte that you will succed.

Wait till puting back the engine. Thats may be an nightmare.
Removal is a piece of cake.

I had to pound my aluminum ones in because they are a tight fit. Make sure you put them in the right spot. 4 are the same and the other 2 are different.

I had to pound in my aluminum ones as well. I did take a long bolt, run it through the mount hole and then put a large washer and nut on it, then put the remaining exposed part of the bolt in my drill and some emery cloth to take just a hair off of them and it seemed to help. A good wooden block and a hammer should work just fine too.

Good luck.

They are a very tight fit, but I would look at the engine mount holes and use a dremel to clean them up a bit, than slide mount in and if need be, use a rubber mallet to bank them in.

Mike

The original ones are pretty sloppy, therefore a build up of crap can form inside the mount holes. Clean the holes like others suggest, I use emery cloth (like sandpaper) then tap the mounts in.

Man, you's got some skills! The way you balanced that little tire on the rear of the frame in the second pic! Amazing! :clapping:
:rofl_200:

Man, you's got some skills! The way you balanced that little tire on the rear of the frame in the second pic! Amazing! :clapping:
:rofl_200:

And now you know why it took me 6ish hours to get all the work done! LOL
I was able to get them in the motor. Cleaned the holes up with some sandpaper, used a wood block and a hammer. They are in! It's a good thing I called Sean before I did this though....I would have put the upper front mounts in without putting the metal rod through them first!!! WHEW!!!

And now you know why it took me 6ish hours to get all the work done! LOL
I was able to get them in the motor. Cleaned the holes up with some sandpaper, used a wood block and a hammer. They are in! It's a good thing I called Sean before I did this though....I would have put the upper front mounts in without putting the metal rod through them first!!! WHEW!!!
Making a mental note....upper front mounts need to have metal rod (bolt #6 on crankcase microfiche) installed before mounting new front upper delrin motor mounts.
Thanks Kozy and Sean!

ah yes. good call. now i believe the front 4 can go with minimal effort and leave the engine in, just brace the engine and do one a ta time, right?

the rear 2 require dropping the swingarm n such?

ah yes. good call. now i believe the front 4 can go with minimal effort and leave the engine in, just brace the engine and do one a ta time, right?

the rear 2 require dropping the swingarm n such?

Yup, just put a car jack under the engine and the front should be a piece of cake. Not sure about the rears though...I didn't pay much attention to how they were in there before I pulled the engine. From what I've heard, the rears are harder than the fronts if the engine is still in the bike, but it can be done. Not sure about dropping the swingarm.

What is this metal rod in the mounts that you are speaking of?

If you look at the front mounts of your motor you'll see a rod that goes from one side to the other and is threaded on each end for the nuts to tighten it up.

which, correct me i fi'm wrong, u'd have to try real hard with the engine in the bike to mess that up?

which, correct me i fi'm wrong, u'd have to try real hard with the engine in the bike to mess that up?

Meh, not really. If you didn't realize that there are little knuckles on that bar that butt up against the inside of the mounts, and you pounded BOTH mounts into the bike before you put the rod in.....then you would be pretty screwed.

i assume u leave the bar in tho when the engine is in?

Latest posts

Back