sta-bil vs marine stabil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
I went to the parts store today to pick up some fuel stabilizer. I asked the guy if they had marine sta-bil, and they did. Then he asked me what the difference was between regular and marine sta-bil. I told him I had no idea, But that it worked well on my motorcycle. I told him I would ask you guys on the board about it. I believe it was RaWarrior that recommended it. Does anybody know what the difference is:ummm:

I just answered my own question. I went on the sta-bil web site and they had a specific answer:
Marine sta-bil has 4 times the fuel system cleaner and double the corrision preventer as regular sta-bil.

I do find that I talk to myself on a regular basis, but not usually on an internet board:rofl_200:

From a chemical standpoint, I have no idea. I think it claims to have four times the cleaning agents of regular sta-bil, and to be "ethanol compatible". It's also like twice as expensive.

Personally, I've never had much luck with sta-bil. I've used it in lawnmowers and such and still had problems in the spring with gummed up carbs and the gas still had the stale, varnish-y smell to it despite being tinted red.

The blue stuff seems to work better IME. Maybe ethanol in fuel messes up the "original" sta-bil, so they had to come out with an ethanol-compatible version?:confused2:

I use the Red with Non Ethanol Fuel and have for years. Gas for my boat, lawn mowing equipment and generator sits for quite a while. I mix it in the 20 or so gallons of cans that I store to have fuel on hand. I also use that supply in the bikes. I can have full tanks and don't have to make a gas stop right away on rides. :biglaugh: For me the Red has worked great.

The Blue is for Ethanol Fuel. I only use Ethanol in the one truck we use every day. No need for a stabilizer there.

I use Seafoam, works for me just like any stabilizer.

Stor- n- Start is what we use in all marine fuel tanks for winter storage where I work. So, that's what I've always used in my Max. Never had a problem, I start putting it in my gas as soon as I don't burn a tank up in a week. 2 cap fulls in a tank.
Steve

Blue for bikes with ethanol in them and red for bikes without.

A bike and a boat both have open fuel systems. Cars have closed fuel systems so the water absorption issue is nearly non existant.

Anytime you run ethanol, you need to put something like Starbrite's Startron in the tank, unless you're burning through it quickly. If you let it sit, the ethanol acts like a sponge and absorbes water.

I believe the blue Sta-Bil works in the same manner as the Startron.

Chris

Back