Tested an 88 max a few minutes ago and...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
Rode this bike today

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...me=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&viewitem=&item=200258006535

Wanted to post a few observations to see what the gang thinks....

1. Bike started up fairly easily...it needed a second but it did start.

2. Front end wobble like a son of a bitch (speeds as low as 45). The front tire is original but I remember reading about steering wobble on this forum. I assume the bearings are worn or dry????

3. Brakes were not as good as I anticipated. They worked but not like i'm used to on my BMW K1200S with ABS. I know the two bikes are worlds apart but is the vmax known for weak brakes?

4. I could smell gas at idle like it may have been running rich. Owner "claims" he had the bikes carbs balanced a few years ago.

5. I had alot of trouble getting it into neutral after a short 15 minute ride. The motor was warm btw.

Other than that this was my first vmax experience and for the most part it was not exactly what I was expecting. It is a great bike but one that was from a time that I am not used to.

I definetly like the bike but the owner has not agreed with me on price yet. I offered 3K and he wants 3500 all of the sudden.

What should I do gang...?

Thanks Again,
Abe

I'd say steer clear of this one unless he takes the 3k you're offering.

1. doesn't sound great, esp with the blue exhausts
2. wobbles at 45 indicate over-tightened bearings. Mine wobbled above 85 (scary) until I tightened the bearings (they looked 'ok') and did the Furbur fix. Now it's better in a straight line but still scary on high speed turns.
3. I wasn't impressed either on first ride, but got used to it. EBC HH pads help a lot.
4. 'a few years ago' = BS. Sounds like it'll need plenty of carb work.
5. This one's the big bad point: if you need tranny work that'll be VERY expensive. Of course it could be that you're just not used to it, but on my '86 I have no prob with getting neutral - just need a very gentle click up from first - works down from 2nd too.

Hope this helps..

MY 2006 IS THE HARDEST BIKE I'VE EVER HAD TO GET INTO NEUTRAL , BY FAR ! ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT ITS NOT BAD , WHEN SLOWING DOWN , LIGHTLY TAP IT INTO NEUTRAL BEFORE COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP . WORKS FOR ME ! BIKE LOOKS SUPER CLEAN ! AS LONG AS THE ENGINE SOUNDS TIGHT ( NO KNOCKS ) IT MIGHT BE " OK " , DONT FORGET , THESE CARBS SUCK EVEN WHEN THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM ! THE STOCK BRAKES SUCK TO ! NEEDS FRESH TIRES & A GOOD GOING-OVER ! :punk:GOOD LUCK ! IF ITS AS CLEAN AS IT LOOKS , TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE AN " OK " DEAL !

Rode this bike today

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...me=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&viewitem=&item=200258006535

Wanted to post a few observations to see what the gang thinks....

1. Bike started up fairly easily...it needed a second but it did start.

2. Front end wobble like a son of a bitch (speeds as low as 45). The front tire is original but I remember reading about steering wobble on this forum. I assume the bearings are worn or dry????

3. Brakes were not as good as I anticipated. They worked but not like i'm used to on my BMW K1200S with ABS. I know the two bikes are worlds apart but is the vmax known for weak brakes?

4. I could smell gas at idle like it may have been running rich. Owner "claims" he had the bikes carbs balanced a few years ago.

5. I had alot of trouble getting it into neutral after a short 15 minute ride. The motor was warm btw.

Other than that this was my first vmax experience and for the most part it was not exactly what I was expecting. It is a great bike but one that was from a time that I am not used to.

I definetly like the bike but the owner has not agreed with me on price yet. I offered 3K and he wants 3500 all of the sudden.

What should I do gang...?

Thanks Again,
Abe

1. Start up sounds normal for a carburated bike
2. The wobble could be caused by a few things. If it is THE original front tire from 88 than that would be the first thing you would have to replace.
3. You cannot compare the VMax brakes (circa 83 technology) with any modern bike. However it is not hard to upgrade with a more modern brake set up.
4. It probably is rich. Plus, like my 88, the intake rubbers and carb diaphragms were at their end of life and had to be replaced.
5. Could be an indication of a sloppy tranny but a lot of times it is just that the shifter needs to be adjusted.... easy fix. A better test would to have been to go WOT in 2nd to see if it jumped out of gear. Fixing 2nd gear is expensive.
As for the $3500, I think that is too much for a stock 88. Wait until his Ebay auction is over. It sounds like someone has backed out before so it could happen again. Plus there are a lot of newer VMaxs out there that you could get for about the same amount.

1. Start up sounds normal for a carburated bike
2. The wobble could be caused by a few things. If it is THE original front tire from 88 than that would be the first thing you would have to replace.
3. You cannot compare the VMax brakes (circa 83 technology) with any modern bike. However it is not hard to upgrade with a more modern brake set up.
4. It probably is rich. Plus, like my 88, the intake rubbers and carb diaphragms were at their end of life and had to be replaced.
5. Could be an indication of a sloppy tranny but a lot of times it is just that the shifter needs to be adjusted.... easy fix. A better test would to have been to go WOT in 2nd to see if it jumped out of gear. Fixing 2nd gear is expensive.
As for the $3500, I think that is too much for a stock 88. Wait until his Ebay auction is over. It sounds like someone has backed out before so it could happen again. Plus there are a lot of newer VMaxs out there that you could get for about the same amount.

I did the WOT in second and it DID NOT pop out. Thanks for all the input so far. The more I think about it the more I want to just pay up but 500 is alot of dough in this economy.

I did the WOT in second and it DID NOT pop out. Thanks for all the input so far. The more I think about it the more I want to just pay up but 500 is alot of dough in this economy.

Keep in mind that you will have atleast $1000 in maintenance and upgrades to go along with the purchase price of the bike - tires, battery, rubber components, ie intake boots, brakes, etc...

Not saying that it's not worth it, but trying to give you a heads up on total price of bike.

Mike

You got me scared now bud!

Well, to be fair, let me clarify. I've had my bike for basically the summer. Have been restoring it since I got it. Between then and now, I've seen only 1 other VMax around here for sale. I sold my other bike and wanted a new ride. At the time, there wasn't any other choice. It was either purchase a beat-to-hell max or not have one.

I don't regret buying it, but I do regret paying more than I should have for it. I totally love it now, because I've brought it back from the grave and it is a night and day bike - very satisfying. Wife nearly lost all patience with me but now wouldn't let me sell it....

The point is, get an old Max cheap, very cheap. Get it as cheap as you can.

My bike was just utterly beat to hell. I missed a lot of things I should have seen before buying it. The only good thing is that the tranny has held up well and engine compression is still in spec. I've had to touch everything else and I'm still not done.

So far, though, I've enjoyed this street bike more than any other I've owned - by far. I do not miss my old '79 XS1100 at all. This bike is fast, it's mean, it's a bit ugly, it's very different, it's got a reputation, it carries a passenger pretty well, it can be made to use saddlebags, it has chrome AND horsepower, it's a V-4, and it sets me apart from the tupperware bike crowd around here. So I'd say it's been worth it.

Well, to be fair, let me clarify. I've had my bike for basically the summer. Have been restoring it since I got it. Between then and now, I've seen only 1 other VMax around here for sale. I sold my other bike and wanted a new ride. At the time, there wasn't any other choice. It was either purchase a beat-to-hell max or not have one.

I don't regret buying it, but I do regret paying more than I should have for it. I totally love it now, because I've brought it back from the grave and it is a night and day bike - very satisfying. Wife nearly lost all patience with me but now wouldn't let me sell it....

The point is, get an old Max cheap, very cheap. Get it as cheap as you can.

My bike was just utterly beat to hell. I missed a lot of things I should have seen before buying it. The only good thing is that the tranny has held up well and engine compression is still in spec. I've had to touch everything else and I'm still not done.

So far, though, I've enjoyed this street bike more than any other I've owned - by far. I do not miss my old '79 XS1100 at all. This bike is fast, it's mean, it's a bit ugly, it's very different, it's got a reputation, it carries a passenger pretty well, it can be made to use saddlebags, it has chrome AND horsepower, it's a V-4, and it sets me apart from the tupperware bike crowd around here. So I'd say it's been worth it.

how much u have invested ?

Congratulations!!! :eusa_dance:

Now whats going to happen is the mod bug will eventually bite you. Oh it all starts out with mini turnsignals here and drag bars there, then before you know it, BAM!! it hits. lol.

Enjoy your ride and play safe:punk:

its not worth it . i got my 2002 for $4000 6 months ago and it doesnt have any of the problems that your listing . i would pass this one up , it only looks new because he never used it , and thats scary . mine looks like its ben through a wor , but runs like its bran new .

its not worth it . i got my 2002 for $4000 6 months ago and it doesnt have any of the problems that your listing . i would pass this one up , it only looks new because he never used it , and thats scary . mine looks like its ben through a wor , but runs like its bran new .

I can't find ANY from the last 15 years for that price...I have searched cycle trader, craigslist, ebay and here with no luck. This is the cleanest and nicest one I have found for the money. Wanna sell me yours?

There are deals out there. I got my 89 with 16,500 miles from
a buddy 3 months ago for $2000. Haven't put a dime in it and
it runs great. Like stated earlier you can drop a good deal of
money in it if you need carbs rebuilt, new rubber and tranny
work. I've never had a problem finding nuetral.
Bottom line is how much do you like the bike and are you
willing and able to do the work required. Remember winters
coming which means buyers market, maybe the guy will drop
the price more.
Goodluck

Damn,
Just checked out the bike on ebay. The thing looks just
like mine paint and all. it has the sissybar and crash bars
which are about $400 in extras. If the tranny is okay that
may not be to bad.
Hope you get a bike !

There are deals out there. I got my 89 with 16,500 miles from
a buddy 3 months ago for $2000.

From a buddy that doesn't count!:clapping:

Bottom line is how much do you like the bike and are you
willing and able to do the work required.
Indeed. I dropped just over 4k on an '86. What can I say, hadn't done enough research, and I just had to have it! :confused2::bang head:

Remember winter's coming which means buyers market, maybe the guy will drop the price more.
Bit late for that - he bought it already! :punk:

From a buddy that doesn't count!:clapping:

Indeed. I dropped just over 4k on an '86. What can I say, hadn't done enough research, and I just had to have it! :confused2::bang head:

Bit late for that - he bought it already! :punk:

:oops:

Yea, your right buddies don't count , ( guy gave me a screaming
deal ) but they sure come in handy. :th_image003:
(-:

Latest posts

Back