Top Priority Work?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaoteay

Reaction score
My friend just bought his first motorcycle a 1985 Honda Nighthawk.

It was in real good shape for being a 1985, and he only wanted to spend around a grand anyways. But it definitely needs some work (the last owner who had it for 3 years hasn't done anything to it - not changing the oil, or anything...)

So what would you guys suggest we do/replace/check?

His sidewalls on his tires are cracking so that's at the top of the list.

I was thinking this:

1) Tires
2) Oil and Oil Filter
3) Air Filter
4) Spark Plugs

... anything else you think is a top priority?

Thanks,
Jaoteay

Check brake pads and drain/replace all fluids. Not sure if the bike has shaft or not so replace shaft oil if it does. Same with coolant and brake/clutch fluid if applicable.

My friend just bought his first motorcycle a 1985 Honda Nighthawk.

It was in real good shape for being a 1985, and he only wanted to spend around a grand anyways. But it definitely needs some work (the last owner who had it for 3 years hasn't done anything to it - not changing the oil, or anything...)

So what would you guys suggest we do/replace/check?

His sidewalls on his tires are cracking so that's at the top of the list.

I was thinking this:

1) Tires
2) Oil and Oil Filter
3) Air Filter
4) Spark Plugs

... anything else you think is a top priority?

Thanks,
Jaoteay

I rebuilt an '84 Nighthawk S. Great bike but not compared to todays.

Yes to all the above as well as replacing the brake lines up front and bleeding completely the brakes and clutch. I would clean out the reservoir with some non-chlorinated brake clean.

Check the rear wheel bearing as they had a real issue with them. The bearing gets loose in the wheel and that's NOT good. You have to replace the wheel. Mine became the red headed step child once I got my SV so I sold it.

Make sure you run M/C specific oil in it too. Bad things happen if you don't... I just threw a BUNCH of parts away for them. Calipers, airbox and even a final drive pumpkin. I still have a short block minus lower clam shell/case. It has 10,000 miles on it. Oh and I have a swingarm too. Just need to toss them.

Chris

Latest posts

Back