V max transmission

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scampbell

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that can give me some information on a gear problem. I have a 1993 V max that keeps jumping out of 1st gear and into neutral. This happens most time I take off. Does anyone know what the problem is and what it might take to fix it?

Do a search on here for shift segment. I don't think that's the issue but where I would start. Only requires removal of the clutch assembly and you don't even need to drain the oil if you let it sit on the sidestand.

We can do the undercut work as I pointed out on the other site. I am sure a few guys will comment here on our work.

Sean

Answered by THE VMax Expert Sean Morley. Welcome to the Vmax Forum too...

Dave

Hmm....typically it does that with second gear, not first.

But like Sean said check the simple things first. Put the bike on the sidestand, remove the clutch cover, the pressure plate, all the discs, and then the actual clutch boss. Bottom left corner there's a little drum thing with a "fork" that ratchets it around to change gears. If one of the pins is loose or working it's way out(maybe the one it grabs for first), it might not be pulling it completely into gear and jumping out.

Yamaha updated the part around 2000 IIRC, to a new segment that has the pins captive (the old part relies on flimsy metal "fingers" to hold the pins in). The pins on my '97 fell out and I lost fourth and fifth gears.

Easy fix. Just make sure you have the proper torx bit to remove the segment bolt...you don't want to strip it out. It's in there pretty tight.

Thanks to all for the information. This is my first v max. My garage is full of Kawasaki's, Eliminators, etc. I am really pleased with the v max and want to fix it. After you get it past 1st gear, it runs like a dream. I took it to a mechanic in western North Carolina, who has 35 years experience working on Yamaha's. He said that he can fix it. He also said that it could be a pin backing out. Sure hope that's what it needs.

There's a difference between the average fix and someone that specializes in the fix for these things too. Our undercut is second to none and gives you the smoothes, strongest, trans you can get. Just putting new gears in does not take care of the indexing problem found with "production" parts.

Sean

Back