Vmax Jack Stand Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagherra

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new here so I hope I'm posting in the right area. I have a recently acquired 1997 Vmax. I'll be doing all the service stuff myself.

I have a Harbor Freight ATV/MC jack that I'm looking to use but I'm concerned that I'll be lifting from the pipes and not the frame. The general purpose rear stands I've looked at don't fit the Vmax swing arm.

Other than the scissors jack mods that I've seen, what do you guys do for jacking up your Vmax?

I personally wouldn't use an ATV jack as it will be lifting the entire bike by the header pipes which are attached at the aluminum heads. Its been addressed in the past that a wood blank or plug could be made to fit around the pipes so the jack would lift by the frame, but this would take time and ingenuity. I/We use the factory center stand to elevate the rear and a simple jack with a small piece of wood for the front under the engine pan. That should be enough to get any and all maintenance done. Its difficult to change the oil on that big lift as it's directly under the plug etc.
Don't be embarrassed if you have trouble getting it up on the center stand, some do. We can send you the magic words.

Thanks guys. BTW - it would be great to hear the trick on getting the bike on the center stand. :)

Thanks guys. BTW - it would be great to hear the trick on getting the bike on the center stand. :)

I have tried.....I still need a second person to help me get it up on the centerstand......

Visions of my precious Vmax on it's side keep me from trying it myself:confused2:

How I've always done it (before I cut it off) was I placed my right foot on the centerstand while righ tmy right hand grabbing the seat rail about 3" behind the turn signal.

Then I would step down on the center stand while uprighting the bike, making sure both sides of the center stand were on the ground. Then I would push straight down (almost stand) on the center stand while lifting up on the seat rail.

Popped up every time, and as easy as pie. I've done it, in the dear hide slippers, barefoot, and with shoes.

How I've always done it (before I cut it off) was I placed my right foot on the centerstand while righ tmy right hand grabbing the seat rail about 3" behind the turn signal.

Then I would step down on the center stand while uprighting the bike, making sure both sides of the center stand were on the ground. Then I would push straight down (almost stand) on the center stand while lifting up on the seat rail.

Popped up every time, and as easy as pie. I've done it, in the dear hide slippers, barefoot, and with shoes.
Thanks much! I'll give it a go when I have a chance.

Thanks for the vid. I just tried it...I'm not worthy. :(

I'll keep practicing.

just for grins, put all your weight on the center stand, once both legs are touching the ground. stand on that puppy then lift.

A friend of mine's wife is only a buck-thirty or so and she can put his max on the center stand by standing on the thing.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet. If your bike is lowered it'll be a pain to get on the stand. You'll have to role it onto a board or something to raise it up, then try to get it on the stand.

just for grins, put all your weight on the center stand, once both legs are touching the ground. stand on that puppy then lift.

A friend of mine's wife is only a buck-thirty or so and she can put his max on the center stand by standing on the thing.
Thanks! I'll give it a go tomorrow. Sadly I don't weight much more than a buck-forty so weight won't help me here. :)

Haven't seen it mentioned yet. If your bike is lowered it'll be a pain to get on the stand. You'll have to role it onto a board or something to raise it up, then try to get it on the stand.

Here's the never-fail method!! Place a short piece of 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 flat on the floor and roll the rear wheel up on it (or both wheels if you so desire).....the centerstand will be near full extension at that point and will require almost no effort to complete.

I really think its more technique than strength. I struggled with other bikes in the past then one day I studied how it works and used my noodle and now just like KJ said you don't need to be big or strong, when you get the movement down you should be able to throw a gold wing up on the stand.

Here's the never-fail method!! Place a short piece of 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 flat on the floor and roll the rear wheel up on it (or both wheels if you so desire).....the centerstand will be near full extension at that point and will require almost no effort to complete.

CHEATER!!!!!:no no no:

I really think its more technique than strength.

You are exactly right. When I first started trying to get the Vmax up on the centerstand, I'll be honest, I looked like a monkey fucking a football....Then I learned how to do it right. The key is not to try to lift with your arms.

1)Using your right hand, grab the "side" of the grab bar, directly under the passenger pillion (along the side of the bike, not he back ;))

2)Using your right foor, step on the centerstand bringing it to the ground

3)Bring the bike upright to where you can feel both centerstand "feet" touch the ground, using you left hand on the bars to steady the bike

4)With you right arm fully extended step down with your right foot (thus using your legs and weight to lift the bike, not your arms)

at that point, it should pop right up....

:clapping:

At least that is how I was later taught...:eusa_dance:

I never had a problem getting the bike up on the center stand. I have since removed mine because of the kerker exhaust set up.

I tried few times but alone I still cannot. Saying that I didn't spend much time trying.
The bike came without it, I just recently add it for making maintenance easier.
I'm almost sure I'm failing because I'm too much hesitant.
I'm always scared to drop the bike for such a stupid thing.

But even for me there's still hope right ? lol :rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back