Volt gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Anyone install a volt gauge? Wondering where you hook it up..directly to battery or easiest access? I hooked mine up through feed in lines but I'm getting lower readings compared to a volt meter off the battery.

Problem with hooking it straight to the battery is that the gauge will be on all the time, unless you put a small switch somewhere in the line. Have a small draw all the time on your battery. That has always bothered me, even though I know it's a virtually insignificant amount of power and it would take weeks to drain the battery.

I had originally put the Kuryakan LED voltmeter on my Max after taking it off my Magna, I wired it to the headlight power so it came on and off with the key. However, apparently my Max runs at just the right voltage to make the gauge madly flick between the "12" LED and "14" LED, which I found to be supremely annoying. Even after running a while, it would never get high enough to stop flickering between the two. I took it off shortly afterward, it's still sitting in my shop.

I kind of like to keep tabs on stuff like that, but the wildly flashing LEDs were annoying enough to make me get rid of it. The gauge works, it was always totally steady at "14" on the Honda(also connected to the headlight). Stupid low voltage Vmax system. Though it always cranks fine even when hot, so I'm not too concerned about it.

It's best to wire as close to the battery as possible. Each connection is a small voltage drop. If you don't want it on all the time wire it after the main switch....maybe to the ignition fuse wire.

I was just looking at the wiring diagram and you could probably hook up the positive to the hot side of the aux fuse panel. Source for that comes from battery through ignition switch to the panel. Just make sure you install an inline fuse though as the hot side is before the fuses., or use opposite end of the ignition fuse. It should monitor correctly and will go off with key off.

Back