volt meter?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

train460

Reaction score
long story short. Replaced wifes rectifier last year with a NEW one from e-bay. see them all the time. also replaced her battery with a dry cell knockoff that was recomended awhile back. less than a year later her bike is dead, jumped but is dead.
Ater Rusty and i do some checking turns out the rectifier is pumping out about 17+ volts. So we replace with a R1 rectifier, mounted under the rear seat and i pull out the battery and low and behold that damn thing has swelled up like a overfed yorkie. was tough getting it out of the battery box.
So now what i am looking for is a small, round volt meter that i can mount on the bars area. A small auto one will work. Does anyone else have something similar on there bikes to monitor volts?
thanks
Michael

When I suspected my bike was having voltage issues I went to an autoparts store and bought a "cigarette lighter" type dc receptacle and wired it to my battery. I mounted it above the gauge cluster with velcro. I think it cost about $6. I then bought a plug in voltmeter for it so I can monitor the voltage while riding. I like having the dc receptacle on the bike for charging my cell phone and you can even use it for your gps if you have one. I attached 2 pictures. The fancy red led voltmeter I bought years ago for my car. It was expensive ($50 at the time). The plain readout one is made by vector and I got it for $11 on ebay. It is dimly backlit but is readable at night. Someone on ebay also sells marine grade handlebar mount dc receptacles. A little expensive but heavy duty and they look well made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vector-VEC008-D...235?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25595ecdc3

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-12V-...225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c4996f41

Attachments

• IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Kuryakin sells a small LED voltmeter. Uses a row of colored LEDs to indicate system voltage. It's about 1.5" by 1" in size. I have one stuck to my right scoop, and it seems to work fine. After replacing the R/R unit with a more modern design, and doing the GoldWing battery mod, my Max always runs in the green (ok) area.

Available online for about $30.00.

Attachments

• voltclose.jpg
    voltclose.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 37
Kuryakin sells a small LED voltmeter. Uses a row of colored LEDs to indicate system voltage. It's about 1.5" by 1" in size. I have one stuck to my right scoop, and it seems to work fine. After replacing the R/R unit with a more modern design, and doing the GoldWing battery mod, my Max always runs in the green (ok) area.

Available online for about $30.00.

+1...have the same one...foolproof...just a glance and you know exactly what's happening . :punk:

i am looking for either an analog one or maybe a LED. not sure if a LED will be seen in the sunlight tho.
Michael

Last edited:
I have one of those Kurayakan ones sitting on the shelves in the shop. I had installed it on my Max, but every place I tried for "keyed power" was a victim of the bike's shitty, lossy harness. I'd test 14.4 volts across the battery, but only around 13 by the time it gets to the tail light power, so it would always show yellows or flick (quite annoyingly at night) between yellow and the first green.

On my Magna I had two greens all the time.

I have a small digital one sitting on my desk. I've been procrastinating its installation for a while now, one of these day's I'm going to get off my lazy ass and get it done.

I got it for $23 from here. This is a picture of how I'm hoping it will look after the install.

Attachments

• gauges_mockup.jpg
    gauges_mockup.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 1800and1500_Mini_LED_DigitalVoltmeter_45-1405.jpg
    1800and1500_Mini_LED_DigitalVoltmeter_45-1405.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 19
Back