Warming up the Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Florida, I start it up on a little choke, let it warm up the time it takes to put my helmet and gloves on, and then take off. Of course I don't push it until I've done a couple of miles and it's warmed up properly - shifting around 3-4k rpm.

I LET MINE WARM-UP UNTILL THE COOLING FAN COMES ON ONCE ! IT RUNS GREAT ! AND HOPEFULLY IT WON'T PUSH OUT THAT OIL PUMP "O" RING ! BUT I TALK TO IT WHILE ITS WARMING-UP ! BUT DON'T TELL ANYBODY !:rofl_200:

similar to lankee.. just not as accurate. i choke it until it idles good at 1000 rpms without choke then no revving past 5500/6000 rpms until the temp needle is within normal temp range.

Small choke, sometimes not at all. Idle for 5 minutes, then short shift for couple miles. Nothing over 4500 rpm for 5-10 miles.

Chris

Actually, the longer you sit and let it warm up the more carbon and build up you put into the engine. You can take off immediately but with very light loads until it gets warmed up. I usually start the bike and put my gear on then leave. If I've already dressed and walk out ready I put the choke on, start the bike, and pull out. I then turn the choke off almost immediately. Too much raw fuel will also cause premature cylinder wear.

Sean

Here in Florida, I start it up on a little choke, let it warm up the time it takes to put my helmet and gloves on, and then take off. Of course I don't push it until I've done a couple of miles and it's warmed up properly - shifting around 3-4k rpm.
I normally follow this procedure but usally have to run at half choke the first mile untill warmed up. We don't have too many days above 90 degrees here in the U.P. so it may be the difference.

I START MY BIKE ON CHOKE , RUN IT FOR ABOUT 30 SECOUNDS , THEN NO CHOKE . I'VE NEVER HAD CARBON ON ANYTHING IN MY LIFE , I'VE ACTUALLY STRETCHED THE CONNECTING RODS THEN THE PISTONS CLOSED THE GAPS ON THE SPARKPLUGS & THE ENGINE DIED ! :biglaugh::rofl_200:

Actually, the longer you sit and let it warm up the more carbon and build up you put into the engine. You can take off immediately but with very light loads until it gets warmed up. I usually start the bike and put my gear on then leave. If I've already dressed and walk out ready I put the choke on, start the bike, and pull out. I then turn the choke off almost immediately. Too much raw fuel will also cause premature cylinder wear.

Sean

Im taking it that this was my problem i had the other day , thinking it was the floats as Max ran rough and kept stalling . I pulled the plugs gave them a clean as nothing open here on xmas day and then went for a ride no probs:clapping::punk:

Sean

This is what I was always taught by my Grandpa. He was a master mechanic and he actually had a name for it, "active warming" Never had a problem.
Cheers
Merry Christmas

Sean
WHAT DO WE DO ALL WINTER ? CAN'T RIDE FOR 5 MONTHS & WE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO LET THEM SIT FOR MORE THEN A WEEK OR SO AS STATED IN ANOTHER THREAD . ? :confused2::ummm:

I fired up Redbone today, sounded sooo good! I had my nephew shovel out around the basement door and wiggled Redbone through the door. It was a nice balmy 22 degrees out and she fired right up. I put the tire up against the wall and let her spin on the ice till it wore through to the frozen earth below. It would've been nice to take a quick run but that will have to wait another 4 months. :bang head:
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

I am very bad about putting the bike away for the winter. I maybe start it up once a month. It does help to have a fuel stabilizer in there especially with the gas getting crappier every year. I don't even do that. I'm not saying my way is right but it has always worked for me.

Sean

FWIW one can use SeaFoam as a gas stabilizer. And as we know it helps clean the rest of the system as well:eusa_dance:

on the other hand, cold weather is easier on gas than hot, so my "processional" mechanic friend tells me.

Latest posts

Back