What grips will work on 1st Gen?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iraqvet750

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I searched past threads for grips recommendations for 1st Gen, 1985 in particular. I saw many mentions of Kuryakyn, but I couldn't locate any that were specifically longer on the "throttle" side. Any recommendations? OEM is hard to find. Thanks.

I have good used OEM grips. I have new Kury's but prefer the Driven Racing D3 grips we sell. Slimmer and a lot of color options. Including matching bar ends.

I have good used OEM grips. I have new Kury's but prefer the Driven Racing D3 grips we sell. Slimmer and a lot of color options. Including matching bar ends.
Thanks for the reply. The shop is telling me that I really should get a set of asymmetric grips that is longer on the throttle side to avoid a gap. They have been unable to locate a set like that. Do the d three grips come in that configuration, and if not, how much for the used OEM grips? Thanks again.

I just put a set of Kuryakyn on mine, I have a gap on the throttle side between the grip and controls but think I must have not installed them right.

To resolve the gaps we simply reused the factory chrome spacers by cutting down the overlap used by the factory grip.

Hello, I searched past threads for grips recommendations for 1st Gen, 1985 in particular. I saw many mentions of Kuryakyn, but I couldn't locate any that were specifically longer on the "throttle" side. Any recommendations? OEM is hard to find. Thanks.
I have a set of new OEM first gen in the original box, interested?

yes, I trust (as OEM) they are longer on the throttle side to resolve the "gap" issue, correct? Feel free to DM me. Thanks!
Yamaha Genuine Chrm Grips W/R1 BS 86-98XV1100 05/25/2000

ABA-3CF37-10-11 I bought them new for my new 05 back in 05 and never took them out of the original package. They are chrome and rubber. One of them is a little longer than the other. Great looking.

So I’m resurrecting this thread because I’m thinking of installing Pro Taper bars and changing grips because I absolutely HATE these factory grips. I’m also trying to get more space where the triple clamps go to be able to mount my oil pressure gauge so it’s flat.
I’m going to use a Gran Turismo style grip…how do I get these oem grips off?

chainsaw? 🙈

Last edited:
So seriously I know this probably is a stupid query but I’d like to get these grips off without tearing shit up.

Any other scooter I’ve had I’ve always just cut them off with a box cutter…although those never had all the “spacer here” and “chrome bar ends” like this Max does.

SOMEONE should have some advice…Captn?…Sean?

Full disclosure I do have a throttle stop on it….you can see it in the pic if you blow it up.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG_5696.jpeg
    IMG_5696.jpeg
    1.9 MB
Ok I just dove in and removed em…..cut the throttle side off because it was shoved into a sleeve for the throttle lock….for those in the future the chrome end caps are just shoved into the ends…they’ll pull out with some work.

The forced air in the grip actually worked on the clutch side.

The chrome spacers are separate pieces….they slide off and on.

I’m changing bars so I’ll give youse guys a pic once I’m done.

Last edited:
So seriously I know this probably is a stupid query but I’d like to get these grips off without tearing shit up.

Any other scooter I’ve had I’ve always just cut them off with a box cutter…although those never had all the “spacer here” and “chrome bar ends” like this Max does.

SOMEONE should have some advice…Captn?…Sean?

Full disclosure I do have a throttle stop on it….you can see it in the pic if you blow it up.

Thanks for any help
Where can We get a windshield like yours ? Wonder if they are still available ?

Back