What have I done? Did we mess with perfection?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I was going to post this a while back when I was told. But thought it would be like shooting myself in the foot because I wanted to start a topic called "what it was, and what it should have been.." But here goes anyway.

Me, my son and a buddy of mine were hangin out down in the man cave when my son blurts out.. My family has the dreaded blurt out syndrome just short of turrets..
"I like your stock 85 better than your Vgas bike Dad.."

I kinda sat there dumb founded.. Cuz I'd had a few, to many.. And then my buddy agrees with him. I'm like.. "No Fuckin way!! Look at all that bling bla bla bla !!!" Then later the next day I started thinking.. "They might be right.. What have I done.? Was Mr Araki right on the money the first time around? My 17" wheels look to small.. And that Kerker looks great, from one side,, and on and on and on.."

What do you guys think.. Other than the stock seat.. Did we take it to far, Mr Araki? Or do I just now need a 240 rear wheel and..and..:ummm: Man the monkey's got me:rofl_200:Hit me with it!

I would agree with Danny, Rebar. Any bike can be beautiful to one person and butt-ugly to another! A bike that remains almost unchanged for 22 years, was well thought out in its original form. Some people like to keep them stock, while others like to change things to suit their needs/tastes.

I generally like the looks of a mostly stock bike and to make subtle changes that make it stand apart. That said, there are some awesome bikes on this forum.

It's all about what you like... Personally, I like the lines of the Vmax which is why I bought one to begin with. I changed a few things with mine, but overall kept it stock looking.

If you like yours, who cares what others think...

Chris

When I did my AR-45 ACP Build, I put grips and stocks on it that I thought were the greatest parts I've used to date. They're tan and ergonomically perfect for use on this carbine.

When I posted the write up, I got a lot of negative comments back. Including one person that thought it was the F'ng Ugliest POS he'd ever seen. The range report was a hole in the Bulls Eye of the target that would impress anyone. It was fired from 3 yards to 25 yards without changing the setting of the optic. Perfect home defense weapon or perfect for clearing any building. It's comfortable and perfect in function. I like it. So, I came back by naming it "My Fugly AR-45"... :rofl_200:

I like it and it does an exceptional job at what it was intended to do.
Who gives a Shit what anyone else thinks.....

What have I done? Did we mess with perfection?

I have thought this same thing MANY times. Not so much because of looks. Moreso because of the HUGE pain in the ass some mods become. Seems like no big mods are simple. It always takes longer, costs more, doesn't fit the first time, etc....

Its worth it when its done but when you want to ride and your pissing around with getting your mods that took way longer than you hoped it gets frustrating.

To quote the local pro football coach... " It is what it is "...can't make it any plainer than that...no , yes...?:confused2:

I say my bike is not a cookie cutter bike it was built for me by my wallet!!! Tell the boy this someday you will see the light son but for now you are to young to understand.LOL

When I did my AR-45 ACP Build, I put grips and stocks on it that I thought were the greatest parts I've used to date. They're tan and ergonomically perfect for use on this carbine.

When I posted the write up, I got a lot of negative comments back. Including one person that thought it was the F'ng Ugliest POS he'd ever seen.

$10 says that person either owns a Harley, or is their life dream to own one. The classic HD "form over function" mentality. My gun may be weak as hell, jam all the time, and my groups look like a shotgun blast, but DAMN does it look good.

I like the way my bike looks with the changes done to it with powdercoating, paint, exhaust, etc., but there is something beautiful about a clean, great condition bone stock V-Max. The designers knew what they were doing for sure.:worthy:

Thanks. You all have valid points. I bought the 85 Vgas like it sits now except for the new ram-air and kerker.

I wish my 85 stock bike performed and sounded like it had a kerker. Had functional ram-air fed by 39mm flat slides, and had radials on the stock rims. But looked totally stock except for a star fighter seat. Maybe bullet turn signals and led tail light.. Impossible.. right?

Anyway. I guess what bugs me the most on the Vgas is that empty spot on the left side where it looks like the exhaust is missing. And the rear wheel isn't big enough. I need to look into the widest and tallest radial available for my 17" x 6.25" rear rim because I don't want to mismatch and I doubt egotrip makes that style of wheel anymore. Then widen and lengthen the swing arm to fit the tire. Is a 200 the widest?

Man.. does this ever end?

Nope.

What helps me is I have a list. The list is broken down into sections. ie. wheels, paint, performance, looks and time frame.

That list is a good idea. except for the time frame part..:biglaugh:

It takes me forever since I detail everything while its apart.

i I THINK YOUR " BUDDY " TOLD YOUR SON TO SAY IT , AND THEN AGREED , JUST TO FUCK WITH YOU ! ... ITS SOMETHING I WOULD DO ! .. :biglaugh:

Back