What is it for?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorgBiker

Reaction score
I've been looking forward to tomorrow since the day I purchased the Max (last Saturday), because tomorrow the insurance kicks in (long boring story). So this evening in preparation I cleaned and went over the bike making sure everything is good to go for my first ride in rush hour LA traffic:eek:

Everything is looking good, but I am a bit confused by something. I noticed a few times while parking that there doesn't seem to be a fork lock like on most other bikes I've owned or ridden. I did notice however, that there is a spot for a key on the left side of the steering stem. It looks a bit like a helmet lock, but the location says steering lock. As far as I can tell, it doesn't lock the steering, and I see nothing unlocking for a helmet ring to go through.

So my question of the day is: What the heck is that thing?

All Vmaxs come with a steering lock, so I would bet what you're looking at is it!

Turn the handlebars towards the kick stand, insert your key, turn and push in - steering should now be locked.

I've been looking forward to tomorrow since the day I purchased the Max (last Saturday), because tomorrow the insurance kicks in (long boring story). So this evening in preparation I cleaned and went over the bike making sure everything is good to go for my first ride in rush hour LA traffic:eek:

Everything is looking good, but I am a bit confused by something. I noticed a few times while parking that there doesn't seem to be a fork lock like on most other bikes I've owned or ridden. I did notice however, that there is a spot for a key on the left side of the steering stem. It looks a bit like a helmet lock, but the location says steering lock. As far as I can tell, it doesn't lock the steering, and I see nothing unlocking for a helmet ring to go through.

So my question of the day is: What the heck is that thing?
Do U mean this:ummm:

Attachments

• key lock.jpg
    key lock.jpg
    62.2 KB
All Vmaxs come with a steering lock, so I would bet what you're looking at is it!

Turn the handlebars towards the kick stand, insert your key, turn and push in - steering should now be locked.

it's been a while, but i want to say that you have to turn the handlebars all the way to the right. i say this because i recall it being odd to have to turn it that way. maybe you can do it both ways? maybe i'm wrong. one thing's for sure: it has to be one of the extremes in order to lock the steering.

the helmet lock is on the left side (sitting on the bike), between the side cover and suspension.

You know, I don't usually use that because I have one of those hex heavy-duty chains and a tamper-resistant lock or a multi-strand h-d 5' or 6' cable lock I use instead. On some bikes you may have to move the bars a bit off-full-lock to get the tumbler bolt to locate properly into the steering stem. Yes, that is the VMax steering lock. It will frustrate a casual roll-away by an amateur unless the **&^^&%% uses the skateboard he rolled-up to your bike on under the front tire. "A lock keeps an honest man honest and only delays the thief."

When inserting the key you need to push in the lock and twist it to lock in place. Unlocking is the reverse procedure...

Seems like it only locks in ONE exact spot...requires some patience and "wiggling" to find it. I don't usually use mine, unless I'm going to be away from the bike for a long time or the parking location warrants it. Like stated above, it only slows a thief down....if they want it, its as good as gone!

It's insured.... Besides, in general there are much better bikes to steal than our poor old VMax's....
Slowing a thief in most cases may be all it takes to convince them to move on....

It's insured.... Besides, in general there are much better bikes to steal than our poor old VMax's....
Slowing a thief in most cases may be all it takes to convince them to move on....

+1, seems most people either know what it is and respect it from far or have no clue and keep walking.......must be the dual springs out back through them off :rofl_200:

4 guys, 2 2x4's, and your bike is gone no matter how many locks you put on it. Never use the steering lock because anything you do that slows down a determined thief just means he will do more damage trying to undo it. Besides if someone stole Toxic I would bet my bottom dollar that they would be caught, bike is too well known.:eusa_dance:

Yes, it's a little strange turning the bars to the right to lock it. It's annoying because if you mod the bars and want to use the steering lock, cable clearance becomes an issue.

Mine has a sweet spot, just off full lock. It's an art to push the key and move the bars slightly and turn the key all together.

Ride safe! :biglaugh:

Thanks all! I figured it was PROBABLY the steering lock, but it's in such an odd place. And I spent a few minutes trying to get it to lock the forks, but never could.

I'll try using some finesse.

bazwell; Mine has a sweet spot said:

Ride safe!
:biglaugh:

Yup, bit of an art, all right. Mr. Bazwell is correct, all the way to the right is too far! What you have to do is - move the bars all the way to the right, put the key in the tumbler with your right hand, press the key inwards with a slight pressure, then move the bars to the left slightly,(using your left hand) until the tumbler depresses, turns, and you able to remove the key. Second nature after you've done it a few times.
F.Y.I., the point at which the tumbler depresses can be adjusted, by filing the slot in the steering head. But this is probably something you would only want to do if you have the assembly apart for servicing the bearings. I had to change the locking position because I have installed limiting screws in the lower triple tree, which has slightly reduced the range of swing of the steering assembly. I had to do this to prevent the handlebars from hitting my modified faux tank.
Cheers!

Yup, bit of an art, all right. Mr. Bazwell is correct, all the way to the right is too far! What you have to do is - move the bars all the way to the right, put the key in the tumbler with your right hand, press the key inwards with a slight pressure, then move the bars to the left slightly,(using your left hand) until the tumbler depresses, turns, and you able to remove the key. Second nature after you've done it a few times.
F.Y.I., the point at which the tumbler depresses can be adjusted, by filing the slot in the steering head. But this is probably something you would only want to do if you have the assembly apart for servicing the bearings. I had to change the locking position because I have installed limiting screws in the lower triple tree, which has slightly reduced the range of swing of the steering assembly. I had to do this to prevent the handlebars from hitting my modified faux tank.
Cheers!

Exactly what i had to do when i fitted my oversize triple trees (different steering stops position). I installed everything and then removed the steering lock and with the steering all the way to the right i drilled the hole on stem through the hole left by the removed lock. After installing the lock in place the pin lined up pretty well with the drilled hole i did... I never use it though... But its there... :biglaugh:
I heard of some cases guys dropping the bike due forgetting to unlock the steering... Don't ask me how... :ummm:

Back