What to do... what to do...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bird is nice but just like any other plastic bike out there. Put an alarm on it so you can honk the horn to find it in the crowd at bike night.

Yes, the bird is faster (in a quarter mile but the vmax always gets the jump).

Yes, the bird handles better (stock for stock) but the vmax can be improved with an addition of wheels and some other misc. There isn't a ton you can do the to bird to make it even better without spending a fortune.

Comfort is a toss up depending on whether you want to hump a gas tank or sit more upright. It's still a great bike (both are of course).

The vmax OWNS the cool sound department when you put on a header.

The bird outbrakes the vmax but that can be evened out a bit too with some simple add ons.

Sean

The bird is nice but just like any other plastic bike out there. Put an alarm on it so you can honk the horn to find it in the crowd at bike night.

Yes, the bird is faster (in a quarter mile but the vmax always gets the jump).

Yes, the bird handles better (stock for stock) but the vmax can be improved with an addition of wheels and some other misc. There isn't a ton you can do the to bird to make it even better without spending a fortune.

Comfort is a toss up depending on whether you want to hump a gas tank or sit more upright. It's still a great bike (both are of course).

The vmax OWNS the cool sound department when you put on a header.

The bird outbrakes the vmax but that can be evened out a bit too with some simple add ons.

Sean

Totally agree!

Not knocking the Bird at all. They are great bikes all around. No doubt about that. But here are a few things you can do over the Bird!

1) Tons of aftermarket parts for the Max! Body parts out the wha-zoo

2) Swing arms, rims and brake configurations.

3) Killer exhaust sound thats only to The Vmax! Unforgettable sound.

4) Internal/ External Engine parts. Cam shafts, rods, few turbo's, Blowers and Carbs.

5) Handle Bar set-ups. Stock to drag to straight. A few different bar risers.

6) 4 Clear covers, clutch, water pump, Gen and I forgot the last one.

7) Aluminum aftermarket covers

8) Aftermarket seats (Front and rear). Custom look...

9) Aftermarket Gauge set-ups!

10) You can upgrade your suspension and frame braces to help corner and performance department.... Help keep up with the Blackbird.

11) Aftermarket Rims (front & rear). Help keep up with the Bird.

Like I said..... I VERY unique look and sound that sets you off from the rest! :punk: Very few Vmaxs and none of them look the same! JMHO

Thanks, Ford428CJ and Sean. I agree with all of your comments. VMAX caught my eye since I was much younger and still catches my eye whenever I am lucky to see one. My middle kid (17 years old) thinks the VMAX suits me better as well.

The hesitation is probably what I felt last year with the one I am looking at. It is Silver and I would like Black. I hear that is the fastest color. :) It has a Dale Walker Holeshot exhaust and although I think that sound is nice, it is a bit loud for me and I would think for my neighbors. The new owner did some maintenance on it and cleaned carbs, replaced the wheels, final gear change, tune, etc.

Seems that I would have to spend some dough on modifying/personalizing it to suit my particular taste. I do not like flash, but do appreciate a VMAX done up nicely with some chrome and carbon. Performance wise, I do not plan on racing or dragging knees so power band/suspension is plenty as is. Not sure about braking ability since I did not test those much during my brief test drive.

Overalll, it is pretty much a toss-up and the decision will likely depend on who wants to sell their bike more. Right now one of the BB owners is very responsive while the VMAX owner is still on the fence about getting rid of his. He has ony had it for a year while the BB owner has had his since 2000.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Heres a pic or 2 for ya on how different they can look from one another. This is mild but it can go to wild in a quick blink of an eye!

These bikes are mine. The yellow one is no more. R.I.P.

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

DSC02702_edited.jpg

DSC02703_edited.jpg

Insurance costs. I think you'll find the Max classed as a cruiser will be much cheaper.

My welder is selling his 2005 that's pretty tricked out. Was my personal bike before he bought it from me.

Sean

Hello all. New member here. I posted this on a Honda Blackbird forum and would like to get a contrasting view from you VMAX owners.

Want to make a decision this week so feel free to opine. Thanks!

http://www.cbrxx.com/introductions/16700-what-do-what-do.html

Joe

Hi Joe

First off, welcome to the forum! :cheers: As you can imagine, I think you will find it pro Vmax here and pro Blackbird on the cbr forum. I owned a Bird at one time and they are great bikes. You have to ask yourself what the majority of your riding is going to be like. I couldn't really decide so I have 3 bikes right now!:biglaugh:
For winding roads and long trips, I'd lean towards the Blackbird. For assaults on the city, 1/2 day blasts, riding to work or general hooliganism, I'd pick the VMax. I found the power delivery on the VMax to be more "in your face" and the Bird's delivery nice and linear. I found the VMax to be a more exciting ride, perhaps because you could feel like things were getting out of control. The Blackbird was always rock steady. I think the 2 bikes are like apples and oranges so you can't do a direct comparison, however either bike (or both!!) would be great in the garage.

Thanks, Buster. That was very helpful. Because I have never driven the BB yet, your driving impressions are much appreciated. I understand what you are saying about the linear power of the VMAX. The dealership where I first saw the BB did not allow test drives. I hear that is common among motorcycle dealerships, but how does one know they want a bike if they never test drive it?

I was able to test drive the ST1300 and VFR800 at the Honda dealership in Crofton, Thumbs up to that shop! No BBs there though.

Sean, I am trying to keep things local so your former bike, which I presume is in Kansas, would be a tough sell for me. Beautiful bikes though!

As far as Insurance goes, my quote from Progressive is $200/year for the BB. Is that a lot? Seems reasonable for me for liability and comprehensive/no collision.

Just a thought
If you want to look cool and turn heads wherever you go buy a VMax, if you want to look like another general biker go for the BB...
Now kidding apart, its only personal taste, its like comparing a truck to a corvette. What do you like? What do you want? 50% rational and 50% emotional always...

EDIT 1 - I have 2 Vmaxs and don't have a 3rd because im lacking space and spare coins... :punk:

I use my bike for touring vmax style. The wife and I have logged over 1000 mile 3 day weekends before. Corbin seat, Tank bag, saddlebags, and large tail bag. But most of my riding is one up carving as many curvy roads as i can find, luckily i live in the heart of great roads. i think the Vmax is a good comprimise do it all bike.

Last edited:
I use my bike for touring vmax style. The wife and I have logged over 1000 mile 3 day weekends before. Corbin seat, Tank bag, saddlebags, and large tail bag. But most of my riding is one up carving as many curvy roads as i can find, luckily i live in the heart of great roads. i think the Vmax is a good comprimise do it all bike.

Dont mean to change (not really LOL) the subject but how do you like the ZX rims? Looks good on your bike but it adds some style to it. Where/who did them up for ya?

Hello all. New member here. I posted this on a Honda Blackbird forum and would like to get a contrasting view from you VMAX owners.

Want to make a decision this week so feel free to opine. Thanks!

http://www.cbrxx.com/introductions/16700-what-do-what-do.html

Joe

Hey Joe.....I've never been on the bird, but ridden a lot of stuff out there. I'm just a couple years older than you and feel your dilema.
Last year I had GSXR 1100, FZ1 (going on 3 years), and my Max (going on 6 years)......this year I have only the FZ1 and the Max.....by choice.

I bought the FZ for my yearly trips to the Dragon, and ride it once or twice a month, and when I do, I wish I rode the Max.
The Max gets ridden as much as I can, at least once a week, more if the weather is good, and I never wish I was on the FZ.

You can't compare them, and forget about what every one says about all the add-ons for the Max for it to compete with the bird ...thats not the point, 'cause that same amount of monies in the bird would make it a superbike.

If you like to be different, get the Max
If you like attention, get the Max,
If you like to feel a kick in the pants, get the Max
If you want to ride with cruisers and sportbikes...get the Max.
The difference is do you want to drive the '57 Nomad or the AAR Cuda.

Just an opinion.

i say go for the BB...
save the maxxes for.those of us who wldnt question it.
;)

good luck.

i say go for the BB...
save the maxxes for.those of us who wldnt question it.
;)

good luck.

Hey V4...is that GS stock or set up? I had for my first real street bike a '79 with a ATP Turbo, about 115 horses with 6lbs of boost ...same set-up that Gleason rode/tested for Cycle World in 1980.
He was runninig 9's for the mag, all I could muster was low 11's...not enough seat time on it, first time at the track etc......ran all night and messed up the clutch. (didn't do the recommended clutch work).....and electric fuel pump took a sh*t...or vapor lock...never did figure it out.
But if anybody thinks the Max handles like crap, that GS was a suicide machine...even in a straight line.

Back