where to find light weight rims?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthair88

Reaction score
I want to shed weight, What are some easy ways, ( other than laying off the cheeseburgers. ) What do stock rims weigh? Are there ANY affordable light weight rims? that look good? whats the weight differance? I bought a monster, and now I want to sharpen it's claws...lol..

If you just wanna shed weight, just remove anything you don't really need! :biglaugh:

Examples:

- passenger footpegs
- passenger seat
- grab rail
- center stand
- OEM exhaust (4 in 1's are much lighter)
- big phat OEM turn signals (replace with cheap, tiny and light aftermarkets)
- side cowls (they look good but weigh a ton)
- faux-tank (as above)
- front fender
- radiator grille
etc etc...

In the end, the heaviest bit is the motor, and you can't really lose that lump.. :confused2:

Rotational inertia is your enemy on the wheels. Read the recent post on the 17-18" wheel topic. The guy posted the weights of the new style wheels and the 85 rear. When Jay Gleason was running the early Max, Kosman wheels took a Max rear center section and attached it to a spoke rim. Lighter rotors can help too but no where near light wheels like Lightcons or Carrozerrias. A thin radial tire is probably lighter too! I almost Sh-t the first time I took off my stock exhaust. I will never ever run a stock exhaust/anchor again.

Well if you want to save weight its simple...

Instead of running 34lbs of air pressure in your tires just set them both to 12 lbs. WOW ! Thats an instant 22 lb loss for each wheel so now you cut your weight back 44lbs. :clapping:

Reactions: BHZ
on a semi serious note:
are the early 5 spoke front rims lighter than the current version ?

Yep.... a little more than 3 lbs lighter than the later version.

Here are some weights I recently took:
85 Frame (bare) - 42lbs
Early model front rotor - 3lbs 4oz
2 front rotors w/bolts - 6lbs 14oz
85 Front wheel with a Bridgestone 110/90 18 wheel - 23lbs 15oz
85 Rear wheel with Dunlop 150/90 15 and rotor - 39lbs 12oz
Late model rear wheel with rotor and Firestone 6/26 15 drag slick - 39lbs 15oz
Late Model front wheel with a Dunlap tire - 27lbs 2.4 oz

just out of interest Jeff, do you know how much the motor weighs?

Also, :hijacked: are you still planning on making some of those clutch levers with bearings?

I want to shed weight, What are some easy ways, ( other than laying off the cheeseburgers. ) What do stock rims weigh? Are there ANY affordable light weight rims? that look good? whats the weight differance? I bought a monster, and now I want to sharpen it's claws...lol..

Lightcons and Carrozerrias are probably the lightest rims you can get for your bike. As to the question if they are affordable... well that is subjective and depends on your wallet size.

As noted, the carr's are about the lightest you can get but not cheap by any interpretation. You could try to mount up another bikes wheels but getting the rotors and calipers positioned correctly will be your biggest challenge.

Engine weighs 250lbs with a pallet.

Sean

Yep.... a little more than 3 lbs lighter than the later version.

85 Frame (bare) - 42lbs
Early model front rotor - 3lbs 4oz
2 front rotors w/bolts - 6lbs 14oz

thanks!

The lightweight wheels avaiable are

-Carrozerria which are 18" only, around 1800.00 pair

-Lightcon 17" only, around 2400.00 pair

-Galespeed 17" only around 1800.00 pair

-Dymag 17" only, little over 2000.00 or 3400.00 for carbon

The above are direct bolt on.

Another option are the sportbike wheels that have been converted to fit the max. There are a couple European companies that make them as well as www.cycleoneoff.com here in the U.S.

Otherwisw the rest, UFO, RC coponents, Kosman are all as heavy or heavier than the stock

I've got the Carr's on my bike and the difference it made was astonishing.

Now if I could lose about 100 pounds the bike would be a rocket! :biglaugh:

I recently installed a set of Carro's on mine but have only been able to ride it a couple times. I was not expecting such a difference in the feel of the bike but it's amazing. It "feels" as if the bike lost a hundred pounds or more and is so much more responsive when making small steering corrections such as when avoiding pot holes etc..

I would contact Sean Morley if you have any interest in them as he seems to have the best deal.

Can you expand a bit on that? What differences did you notice? Handling? Speed? Looks? Do you think the tire choice had a lot to do with it?:ummm:

Uh huh! ALL of the above! :eusa_dance:

I am currently running an ME880 rear and a Z6 front tire but when the rear tire goes I want to put something with a bit more curve to it on it. The ME is a VERY flat tire.

Chris

Well if you want to save weight its simple...

Instead of running 34lbs of air pressure in your tires just set them both to 12 lbs. WOW ! Thats an instant 22 lb loss for each wheel so now you cut your weight back 44lbs. :clapping:

Hey thanx, ur insight is ...well........u get the idea,

***OLD POST ALERT***

Thanks to Jeff for posting the weights of the stock wheels ('85/ '86 and '87 - '07) :punk:
I read that the Carrozzerias Busa (17") wheels are Super Light Weight @ 7.2 lbs (front), 12.7 lbs (rear).
How much do the COO 17" sportbike wheels weigh?
How does a front/ rear tire typically weigh? (<- laziness alert!)
What do you run for radials on your aftermarket rims?

Back