Which is more visible.....???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
Stock clear lens signals or stock orange lens signals?

Discuss... Shouldn't take long.

Thanks, guys.

I think the orange lens is more visible, as it's bright orange when unlit.

When lit, it shouldn't make a difference as the bulb wattage is the same.

Ahh. Didn't think about wattage consistency. I was thinking that the orange might magnify the brightness if the bulb was orange, too. Cool

I believe the ones with orange lens have a clear bulb and the clear lens have an orange bulb.

what he said hahahah

wont be bright enough the orange bulb to shine enough through the orange lens.....think it ends up dull or low looking.

i put red lenses on my v65....the local constabulary wasnt impressed:rofl_200:... i thought it looked cool:biglaugh:

Most visible is going to be LEDs - that's where I'm going with mine when it gets here next week!

Orange bulb in orange lens will defo be less bright, too much color less light!

Orange lens is brighter.....when lit you see the whole lens....when the white one is lit you only see the bulb in contest ro the white lens.....could be the same and just a illusion......I went all clear on my 85.

Just look at cars on the road with the clear lens...same thing.

I think the size/shape of the reflector has a lot more to do with it....I prefer clear lenses with amber bulbs.....

The human eye is "caught" by sudden contrasts or changes. An orange lens that lights up orange isn't as much contrast as a clear lens that becomes orange.

I ditched the stock rear signals on my Z (typical square orange things) when I did the tail tidy with some Targa clear ones. The signals are physically much smaller, and have a clear lens with an amber bulb. They're MUCH brighter and more noticeable than the stock ones. At night it was never a problem but in bright daylight people I ride with say the stock signals were tough to notice, where these are much more eye catching. The bulbs are the same wattage.

Whatever you do, avoid the el cheapo ebay LED signals. I've seen a few of these installed and they're junk. The small size, low brightness, and no reflector means in the daytime they're next to invisible. Plus then you get the hassle of diodes and resistors to make them work right.

I shortened the stems 1 1/2" each, narrowing the overall profile by 3", and installed 3 wire front signals in the rear for add'l. running lights. Although that may be illegal in some states.

Attachments

• 100_2669.jpg
    100_2669.jpg
    141.9 KB
I shortened the stems 1 1/2" each, narrowing the overall profile by 3", and installed 3 wire front signals in the rear for add'l. running lights. Although that may be illegal in some states.

I did the same thing several years ago, thought it was a good idea - until I was told to "lose them", by an RCMP officer (who also happens to be my best friend).
In my neck of the woods, only a red continuous color is permitted on the rear end of passenger and commercial vehicles.
But I do use a second brake/taillight assembly, that is hooked up to one of those brake light modulator units. I just hope this is enough to catch the attention of the tailgating texters.
Cheers!

Back