worried about my max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppop

Reaction score
i finally decided to let my bike go to the shop.talked to the shop owner seemed ok so there it went .to have the valves adjusted,valve cover gasket he said no problem have it done by friday,went and checked on it thursday no progress,hadn,t had time which is ok .im just concerned,ive always did most everything myself ,was self employed 15+ years worked at home all kinds of car work rarely any problems most more than happy, up to the point i damaged my eyes pretty bad welding ,doc said no fix,i still do pretty well ,i treated people good as i could explained things well was more than fair,made them feel good,thats me,people just don;t seem to care anymore,charged me 400 plus parts,and has the personallty of oscar the grouch he acted like he was offended by me coming by ,i hope to god he just does it right,ill never take it anywhere else ,i get a see and eye dog to help me ,if he pissed off over me coming by god knowes what he will act like if theres a problem,i talked to a couple of friends about him a couple of days ago ,they have a couple of horror stories,and a lot of i don;t know work no good ,im giving him a chance mabye bad mood hope stories were just that , don;t mind paying for the work just hope it;s desent work wish i had learned all of this before i took the bike im 55 and still not to old to learn

I don't know what to say that will help you. I do almost all my own work. A chosen few can even touch my bikes and most of them are here on this forum. Ya gotta take a chance once in a while and trust somebody new. I'm really hoping it works out good for you...

Sometimes those 'Oscar the Grouch' guys are really first rate wrenches but have the social skills of a brick.....sometimes they're just incompetent jerks. :confused2:

I think, if you're really worried about it, go pick the bike up....offer to pay him storage, if you want, and bring it back home.

Valves are a bit of a pain in the ass but far from impossible, we could help you through it, maybe even some local maxers near-by could lend a hand.

I say if the work hasn't been done yet then go get the bike out don't let'em touch it!

Doing the valves is a bit tedious and I can just see how any unscrupulous mechanic would botch it up or not do it at all then charge you all the same. If you don't know how, it's even difficult to get the front valves cover off!

I did a full write-up on exactly how to do this so you can check it out for yourself, just do a search on 'valves job'.

Hope you get it out on time..

Did you pay him in advance Pop? If so can ya get the money and parts?

Yeah....it might be too late if he already started on it...and once it's done at 25,000 (hopefully correctly) you prob won't have to worry about it again....that being said, it sounds like you have time and ability on your side for future projects. Don't hesitate to ask questions and for advice here before going to the dealership next time. Plenty of good advice, step-by-step instruction and sometimes specialty tools to loan out........

I'm dreading the day that I have to take mine to the shop for something but eventually it's going to happen .Going to try and do most of the maintenance myself and thanks to places like this should be able to. Reading thru the valve adjustment DIY it looks like things are pretty tight and you need a shim kit and special tool but not impossible for someone with some mechanical skills. Good luck to you and I agree that good mechanical skills don't always equal good people skills. I'm 56 and still learning brother.lol! Mike

And ...

(I might not say too much at this point, but still read)

:surf:

Back