Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, I live up in Northern Canada...

I am looking at two 1997 VMAX one has 27,000 miles and the other 18,000 miles they are r$4250.00 and $5800.00 Cdn. The guy that owns them is probably a visitor here.....Anyhow wondering about buying a 20 year old bike and are the mileage on each high>>??

Hi Guys and Gals - I'm a noob to the forum...to all forums really. I recently picked up my VMAX - she's a 2001 Carbon Fiber beauty with 2600 original miles. Previous owner was quite the toolbag and let her sit too long. I synced the carbs but have poor performance when reving the engine - almost like the response is delayed by half a second - very annoying. I fear a carb job.

Anyways, enough about that. I finally have a VMAX! I was more interested in the 1700 but that gives me another excuse to the wife for getting one someday :biglaugh:

I'm a disabled veteran, motorcycle enthusiast, IT Engineer, husband, and father. I currently have a 1994 and 1996 Honda Magna, a 97 and 2010 Goldwing. I've owned 3 R1's, a Triumph Rocket III, three other Magnas (94, 2003, and 85 v45). I've also had a Suzuki SV650S, Ultra Classic, and a vRod. God I love motorcycles!!! Anyways, I'm trying to follow the protocol and that starts with me saying hello - right? Hope all is well!

- Marc in Virginia

Well Im pretty new too but you wont find a more helpful group than here. I have seen a few forums and this one is good. Welcome. I have an 02 carbon but sounds like your was more loved than mine but thats just an excuse to mess around with my one in the shed.

Welcome

The Rocket III part sure gets my attention. I'm quite partial to Triumph. A carb job is nothing to fear, it's not bad to get them off the bike and they are fairly basic if youve been into carbs before. TONS of good info on them right here. Besides we have a guys here that do the carbs too. I'm wondering if you dont have some slides sticking. Have you done anything more than a synch yet?

I'm thinking I would do the Shotgun clean and see how that works before pulling the carbs, worked wonders for me!..................Tom.

Well Im pretty new too but you wont find a more helpful group than here. I have seen a few forums and this one is good. Welcome. I have an 02 carbon but sounds like your was more loved than mine but thats just an excuse to mess around with my one in the shed.

Thanks! I agree, I've found a lot of good info even before joining. I love tinkering myself, but I'm digging myself into a hole with the amount of items piling up. I have wanted a vmax since I've known about v4's. I nearly bought a much older v65 Magna but opted to go with a newer bike. Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome

The Rocket III part sure gets my attention. I'm quite partial to Triumph. A carb job is nothing to fear, it's not bad to get them off the bike and they are fairly basic if youve been into carbs before. TONS of good info on them right here. Besides we have a guys here that do the carbs too. I'm wondering if you dont have some slides sticking. Have you done anything more than a synch yet?

Thanks Caseyjones955! The Rocket III was just a crazy machine. A beast of a machine. Fast and torquey. I'll own another one someday. I needed to get my sportbike days behind me early on so I went that path.

I've only done the sync so far. Other things - I removed all of the old gas (at the time of bringing it home), fresh ethanol free gas was put in. Immediately gave it an oil change with full synthetic and new filter. I added a little sea foam. That's all been run through. Really, just the basics. I'm hard pressed to think it'd need a carb job since it's loves to run (seems like it wants too). It's strictly limited to the lower rmps. It's one of those things I feel like I'm going to have to address because the roads are busy my way and if you can't take off without the awkward delay. I've only put 200 miles on the bike since having it. Sounds goofy, but I'm wondering if I should just ride the piss out of it for awhile.

I'm thinking I would do the Shotgun clean and see how that works before pulling the carbs, worked wonders for me!..................Tom.

Thanks Tom. I'll look up that procedure. It's certainly worth the try if it's much less invasive than the actual carb job itself. BTW - nice pic. I'm a military transplant on the East Coast. For 15 years, my goal was to make it back to Michigan. I found quickly that a good job and wife native to DC with 2 kids growing the roots puts a major delay in my plans to get back; wife is scared of the cold.:snow: <sigh - someday> I'd love to bike from the LP up through the UP - that'd be awesome I'm sure.

new Manitoba Maxer

PHP:
Hi everyone, new-to-me Vmax owner here. My name is Matt and I hail from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada.
No stranger to bikes but the max is a new beast and something I'm not used to yet. Did a 20 hour round trip to bring it home from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan a couple of weeks ago. Looking for some parts, and or riding buddies so if you're local, please get in touch with me. Hopefully I'll be on the road in a couple of weeks when the weather gets better.
Anyway here's a couple of pictures. First 2 are the day I picked it up, 3rd one is at home in the garage where I was test fitting my new mirrors. (Yes, they do work)
1999, 45kms, has the Kosman rear wheel conversion, progressive springs up front, drag bars, ugly corbin seat, uglier sissy bar and the ugliest mirrors haha.
Lots of work on the way, this summer I just want to do a set of pipes and then over the winter I'll be torn down and done right. Looking forward to joining the community!

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 19
Re: new Manitoba Maxer

PHP:
Hi everyone, new-to-me Vmax owner here. My name is Matt and I hail from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada.

No stranger to bikes but the max is a new beast and something I'm not used to yet. Did a 20 hour round trip to bring it home from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan a couple of weeks ago. Looking for some parts, and or riding buddies so if you're local, please get in touch with me. Hopefully I'll be on the road in a couple of weeks when the weather gets better.

Anyway here's a couple of pictures. First 2 are the day I picked it up, 3rd one is at home in the garage where I was test fitting my new mirrors. (Yes, they do work)

1999, 45kms, has the Kosman rear wheel conversion, progressive springs up front, drag bars, ugly corbin seat, uglier sissy bar and the ugliest mirrors haha.

Lots of work on the way, this summer I just want to do a set of pipes and then over the winter I'll be torn down and done right. Looking forward to joining the community!

Nice looking 1999, looks well maintained! The trips taken and people met when acquiring these bikes are priceless. Bought mine an hour from home, one midnight last May. Rode it to Myrtle Beach Bike Week a few days later. Same buddy was with me for both events. Got it home and couldn't wait; started tearing it apart. I'm ready for May again. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy! My name is Klaus, and I live near Houston. I recently bought a V-Max that belonged to Rhoy Carter, who was a regular on this forum.
Unfortunately, he passed away about 5 years ago. I am trying to get the bike running again, but am having a bit of trouble. He had apparently made many modifications and all his notes and manuals had disappeared. If anyone could tell me what all he did, I would appreciate it. I ordered a manual and a new AGM battery, but they have not arrived yet. I did partially clean the carbs and unstuck the slides, and drained the tank, but seem to get no fuel flow. There is clicking for a few seconds, when I turn the ignition on, but there seems to be no fuel flow to the carburetors. There is some sort of LED arc shaped bar graph over the speedometer, that seems to be a voltmeter, though I can't imagine why he would need that, instead of a tach to help time shifts. There is also a small toggle switch near the ignition switch, which seems to to hooked up to the fan, which, once again, I don't understand. Last, but not least, HOW DO YOU USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS SITE???

The clicking for a few seconds after key on is normal fuel pump behavior until the carbs are full, if no fuel at the carbs there could be an obstruction in the line, tank or fuel pump failure. Do you have fuel pressure going up to the carb rack? If they sat for 5 years with fuel they could be a mess inside and need cleaning.

I didnt know the fella, I have only been here a couple years but hopefully someone can fill you in. I have heard of a switch being used for Vboost control as well as fan control but my feeling is the factory did a pretty good job of controlling those functions, besides that I would almost certainly forget to flip the fan on when needed.

To search I just go to Google and type in vmaxforum and whatever I want to search. I get better results than the search function inside the forum.

I hope others can address your questions better than I did, but welcome and congrats on your new scoot. I'm sure you will love it once you get it back on the road.

The led thing is probably a shift light. You need to prime the fuel system so it'll make vacuum and fill the carbs.

Oh, and welcome. We'll get you sorted.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Hey, welcome KlausH, this forum is a fantastic source for working through "Max" issues/ questions, lots of talented and experienced riders and wrenches.
Hope you get er' licked soon.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Also welcome to bigglagg out in Manitoba! I'm pretty new here too, just got my Max in Feb! I'm out near Edmonton Alberta.
Curious about your "Kosman" rear wheel conversion, never heard of it. Do you know where it came from? Like where is this Kosman conversion available? What size is your back tire??
Welcome eh![emoji1]

Also welcome to bigglagg out in Manitoba! I'm pretty new here too, just got my Max in Feb! I'm out near Edmonton Alberta.
Curious about your "Kosman" rear wheel conversion, never heard of it. Do you know where it came from? Like where is this Kosman conversion available? What size is your back tire??
Welcome eh![emoji1]

Hey tangoleader57, glad to see another Canuck on here! The Kosman Racing conversion, and I'm not sure if it's available anymore, involved having the stock 15" wheel sent to Kosman in California and then they machine the center out of the wheel and graft it to a 17" wheel hoop. Allows you far more tire options and better handling characteristics. The tire that's on there now is a Michelin 180 55 ZR17. Also give it a more modern look in my opinion.

Thanks bigglagg, good info. Again, welcome to the forum. Let me know if you ever cruise through the Edmonton area.

Pretty sure kosman isn't doing them anymore. Fire-medic has a friend doing conversions, and Sean has a whole line of new wheels coming out.

Welcome to all the new guys. Nice to see more names as the riding season spreads North.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Back