Exhaust pop/choke - whistle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
No one has told me my bike whistling yet is normal?
I have been told it is. Not a loud whistle but gets higher pitched as I accelerate - that something to do with vboost? Actually sounds awesome, friends say it sounds like a supercharged car lol.

Also exhaust pop - I get it very very rarely but when I start her up in the morning with the choke it does pop a fiar bit at about 3-4000 revs.

When you guys put your choke on what does she idle at?
I am guessing so many of my little issues on here are carb related which should be gone by end of next week. Like I said before my bike is running very very rich!

Thanks again
MG

I have been told it is. Not a loud whistle but gets higher pitched as I accelerate - that something to do with vboost? Actually sounds awesome, friends say it sounds like a supercharged car lol.

Also exhaust pop - I get it very very rarely but when I start her up in the morning with the choke it does pop a fiar bit at about 3-4000 revs.

I am guessing so many of my little issues on here are carb related which should be gone by end of next week. Like I said before my bike is running very very rich!

Thanks again
MG

I'M NO EXPERT.... I'll start with that...

I've only owned my max about 3 months now. I 'Think' it had a Dynojet Stage 1 installed. The 'Y' has been removed from my air breather (and is no where to be found, new one on route!) and mine sounds as you are describing. Sounds normal to me.

As for choke. My bike idles at +/-3K on full choke and about 2K at half choke. Right or wrong, I use full choke to start it and let it run briefly there, then cut it down to 1/2 choke to warm up.

hmmm mine is about 4000 full and about 3000 half or nothing I guess. Need my carbs synched so that screws it up a little as I cannot really put the choke on a little!

Also what do you mean the y has been removed? also how can I tell if mine has been removed? I do not think I have a jet kit or anything but I would not know???

hmmm mine is about 4000 full and about 3000 half or nothing I guess. Need my carbs synched so that screws it up a little as I cannot really put the choke on a little!

Also what do you mean the y has been removed? also how can I tell if mine has been removed? I do not think I have a jet kit or anything but I would not know???

Remove the faux tank and take a look at the air breather. The 'Y' should be staring right at you covering the air filter. Here is a pic of mine WITHOUT the 'Y', but you can see the shape.

Attachments

• Air Breather 2 small.jpg
    Air Breather 2 small.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 82
I have been told it is. Not a loud whistle but gets higher pitched as I accelerate - that something to do with vboost?

Mine also has a whistle to it up to around 80kph. After that I can`t hear it. I asked about it a long time ago but did not recieve any reply.
First I thought it may be loose valve settings but if anything they are on the tight side.
If I ride along and pull in the clutch the sound stops. Thinking now it may be the throwout bearing but if it was you would think that it would have siezed or blown up before this. The bike has been doing it since I bought it almost 25000km ago.

Interesting. Personally I actually love the sound of the whistle, unless it is a bad thing. Like I said it sounds like a turbo or something. I have heard it on cars before. I asked a friend about it who does not have experience with vmax's but does work at yam and he thought it was normal.

Also I canno tell till I look at mine but could swear it looks the same as that. Anyone got a pic of theirs with the y?

Forgot to mention that at first I thought it was an intake problem so I took the carbs off and three of the four intake boots were split so I thought I had found the problem but after installing a new set it made no difference.:bang head:

well I now know that it whistles in every gear up to 3600-3700 revs then dies out. I am really surprised we seem like the only 2 to notice this???

Also I looked and my bike still has the Y above the air intake. No clue on a jet kit but it is going in for a carb rebuild next week so I will get them to have a look out of interest.

well I now know that it whistles in every gear up to 3600-3700 revs then dies out. I am really surprised we seem like the only 2 to notice this???

Also I looked and my bike still has the Y above the air intake. No clue on a jet kit but it is going in for a carb rebuild next week so I will get them to have a look out of interest.

I like the sound of it too :)

No whistler for me either, but I do get that same whistle on my Pontiac. I thought it was a vacuum leak or something, took it in to the shop and all is good.

Dunno man?

maybe you got a series 2 supercharger on that pontiac so that would make it a good whistle sound :punk: hahaha

My Pontiac used to whistle... Until I installed the under drive pulley on the crank. It slowed it down and it stopped whistling unless I kill the battery.

I can't hear a damn thing on the max... Exhaust is to loud.

Personally, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Chris

Hey Zippo! Do me a favor and clean the bugs out of your filter...

lol

Hey Zippo! Do me a favor and clean the bugs out of your filter...

lol

LOL, they are not bugs, it's the seed that falls from Maple trees in the spring once the leaves bloom/blossom.... how the f**k they got in there, is beyond me! :clapping: Present from PO I suspect!

It's been a long time since the last post on this thread.
Any long term follow up on "the whistle ?"

Thanks again
MG

Got no whistle here but...do have the popping at cold idle...left side only. After richening the a/f screws and syncing the carbs, its improved. You might PB blast your a/f screws...let set for a few hours or day ( unless the screws are already free ), gently screw each one in to seat, and count the turns in, then go another 1/2 to 1 turn out on each. I don't know how mechanical you may be but I need to add NOT to use one of those little pocket flat blade screwdrives...it' best use a full handled, thin bladed. This will reduce the possibilty of the a/f screws stripping. Mine were at 1.75 to 2.25....I now have them all set at three turns out. The idle has really improved and pops alot less. I choke mine at about 1/4 or so...it idles at 1200. Hope this helps

You could have mice or some other kind of small varmint running around in your garage Zippo. I have squirrels around here that store the nuts on top of my trucks intake manifold, and one time ate the wires that plug into the fuel injectors.

LOL, they are not bugs, it's the seed that falls from Maple trees in the spring once the leaves bloom/blossom.... how the f**k they got in there, is beyond me! :clapping: Present from PO I suspect!

Well mine still whistles after four years of ownership and I have just got used to it. I have since been told it is the valve gear but it has not got any worse, touch wood. In my case if it self distructs that will be it for me. At nearly 67 years old I neither have the time or money to continue with my 51 year hobby. :wave bye::wave bye::wave bye:

I have that in gear under power whistle... just sounds like driveline noise to me, I've heard it on a lot of bikes.

I've got a Pontiac Grand Prix GT with a supercharger, and a cold air intake - and that is a whole 'nother kind of whistle there, more like a straight up whine/scream when you bury the happy pedal.

My cold full choke idle is 4000rpm, I pull it down to about 1800rpm as soon as the bike starts though, for my neighbors sake. I will sometimes get one pop right when it first catches/fires, but nothing follows that.

Back