Exhaust pop/choke - whistle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm... my 03 seems to have the same slight whistle as the original post. Happens from 1500-3000rpm and then it disappears. Runs great and pulls like a locomotive otherwise, so I'm assuming it's normal for these bikes?

This is my first VMax - and I'm loving it. The throttle response really reminds me of my Kawi GPz1100... linear blast acceleration!!

I have it with my bike, It's done it since day 1. Sounds to me like a quieter gear driven cam set up or a mild turbo whine.

I've had people ask me about it when I rode by. I can only hear it at lower rpms, any higher I can't hear it over the pipes.

I've never noticed it on my Max, but the old GS450 auto I used to have was shaft drive, and I got a lot of gear whine from the pumpkin. Heard it was normal on it due to the gears "cut" (like how reverse sounds on a cheap car). Would start out low pitched at like 10-15mph, and whine up to 40 or 50, past that it died out.

Mine runs about 3k full choke, but I never need/use full. Typically for me about 1/2 choke instantly fires the motor, and maybe like 1/4 keeps it running at a nice 1000rpm. Once I start riding I turn it off. Running it at 3k on full choke for more than a few seconds results in the popping you describe for me as well. I always took the "popping" to be unburnt fuel flashing inside the exhaust...would make sense it would do that when running extra rich on the choke.

Mine sometimes starts popping a bit if I've been coasting down a hill for a while....the coast enrichener probably loads it up too much and starts to run rich.

Got tired of thelow RPM whistling... opened up the airbox, everything looked fine.
Closed it up and no more whistle!

Interesting... but I'm not complaining!

I'm guessing I have the same sound. Sounds a lot like the Jetson's "car" when they'd fly off. I was thinking I may have an exhaust leak somewhere. Doesn't seem to affect power or anything, just a funny sound.

I dont have a whistle either and none of the vmax;s I ride with does. I dont let miy bike get above 2000 rpm on a cold start up because the oil pressure gets way to high until it warms up good.

I have the whistle on accel and louder on decel. It sounds mechanical in nature to me. I've had other bikes with a similar sound in the past.

Back